Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

American post-graduate student - what are the chances?

American post-graduate student - what are the chances?

Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:24 am
Just Joined

x2ski2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool American post-graduate student - what are the chances?

Hi. I'm less than a year away from completing my master's degree in Strategic Public Relations and am preparing for a move from the states to Australia or New Zealand. I lived in Canada for two years and spent this past summer working in London, so it won't be my first time out of the country.

In terms of Australia - after university, I worked for five years in sport PR prior to going back for this two year program, so I am a little worried that the "work in your field for 24 of 36 months" may not apply for me. Does part-time work count?

Is anyone aware of the success rate for Americans? A friend of mine is a success story, but I have yet to hear exactly how she did it.
How much weight does a master's degree give me? Any?
And how would I go about being sponsored by a company in my field? I've searched and searched for answers, but haven't seen any statistics for PR people. (We do matter too!).

I know it's going to be a long process, and am prepared for such.

If you have any suggestions, please post - or e-mail me privately. I welcome any and all advice!
Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:45 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American post-graduate student - what are the chances?

> In terms of Australia - after university, I worked for five
> years in sport PR prior to going back for this two year
> program, so I am a little worried that the "work in your field
> for 24 of 36 months" may not apply for me. Does part-
> time work count?

Let me try to answer your question bit by bit.

If you are planning to apply for permanent residence in Australia, you will need to pass essentially 3 stages of checks.

1) skills assessment: you will need to nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL). Once you have done that, you will need to get your skills (degree & experience) assessed by the relevant skills assessing authority.

2) basic requirement of DIMIA: you will need to pass the basic requirement. Part of this requirement is the need for you to show proof that you have been working in any occupation on the SOL for at least 12 of the past 18 months immediately prior to your application being lodged. AFAIK, you do not meet this requirement presently. If you do not meet this requirements, your PR application will fail for sure.

3) specific work experience bonus points: to get the bonus points (5 or 10 points) you will need to show that you have been working for at least 3 of the past 4 years in the occupation or related occupation of your nomination. This is not to be confused with the basic requirement's 12/18 rule. If you do not meet this requirement, you simply do not get the 5 or 10 points.

On the question of work experience, DIMIA only considers work that meets these criteria:

a) skilled, AND
b) paid, AND
c) full-time - defined as 20 hours per week or more.

> How much weight does a master's degree give me? Any?

If you're looking at getting "bonus" points for possessing a Master's degree, then you're out of luck. Unless your master's degree was an Australian degree, you will get nothing more than the bachelor's holder next door.

HTH

Peter
Old Sep 18th 2002, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

x2ski2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Peter, thanks very much for the advice. As much as I thought I had completed enough research ... I see that there is more and more that I need to know!

Looks like I'll be working here a while longer!

Thanks again.
Old Sep 19th 2002, 3:20 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

A good starting point for DIY research is the skilled migration booklet. For AUD$10, it's a steal.

Originally posted by x2ski2:
Peter, thanks very much for the advice. As much as I thought I had completed enough research ... I see that there is more and more that I need to know!
Old Sep 19th 2002, 5:07 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by x2ski2:
Hi. I'm less than a year away from completing my master's degree in Strategic Public Relations and am preparing for a move from the states to Australia or New Zealand. I lived in Canada for two years and spent this past summer working in London, so it won't be my first time out of the country.
I noticed you may be interested in NZ too. Check out www.immigration.govt.nz for your points on General Skills. You may already have enough points to apply for PR, fail by less than 5 points to meet the passmark (29 points), and so get 6 months to find a job in NZ which would give you enough points for PR. (Relevant job is worth 8 points).

Master's degree - 11 or 12 points
Age (I guess 25-29) - 10 points
Work experience 6 years - 3 points
Settlement funds NZD200K (maybe!) - 2 points
Total 26/27 points - enough to get a 6 month work visa
(Spouse with master's - 2 points, you're in!)

Check it out, cheers - Don