Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ambulance cover with Medicare????

Ambulance cover with Medicare????

Old Jan 19th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of
Default Ambulance cover with Medicare????

Does medicare cover you if you have to call an ambulance?
Also general visits to the dentists, what do they normally cost?
Thinking about getting dental and eye and possibly ambulance cover?How does it work when one of your children may need a brace?
Been here six weeks,gradually getting it, thouroughly recommend it, we are in Somers in the Mornington Peninsula
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:08 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ambulance cover with Medicare????

This is probably one of my biggest tips to anyone coming out here.

Buy ambulance membership as soon as you can.
you get billed for ambulance calls, a normal call out and run into the hospital runs upwards of $500
ambulance membership in Victoria is about $60 for a single or $120 for a family per year.
membership absolves you of the call out fee.
if you get private health insurance, there is a good chance they will either
a: pay the membership fee, or..
b: pay 1 x emergency ambulance call out per year.

as for dental, the average dental visit in my experience is about $200 a visit.. my private medical "extras" cover usually pays about $100 of that, but its a sliding scale depending on the procedure.

derab

Last edited by derab; Jan 19th 2008 at 7:12 am. Reason: extra info
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by derab
This is probably one of my biggest tips to anyone coming out here.

Buy ambulance membership as soon as you can.
you get billed for ambulance calls, a normal call out and run into the hospital runs upwards of $500
ambulance membership in Victoria is about $60 for a single or $120 for a family per year.
membership absolves you of the call out fee.
if you get private health insurance, there is a good chance they will either
a: pay the membership fee, or..
b: pay 1 x emergency ambulance call out per year.

as for dental, the average dental visit in my experience is about $200 a visit.. my private medical "extras" cover usually pays about $100 of that, but its a sliding scale depending on the procedure.

derab
thanks,what about dentists etc
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by farrierswife
thanks,what about dentists etc
sorry just read the bottom bit,how braces etc?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:20 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

sorry farrierswife.. that was the bit i added..

I don't know about braces, I do know that i am expecting to have posts and crown put in sometime this year, its a major procedure costing $5000 here.
my insurance will pay about $1000 of it.
apart from in-patient procedures you will very rarely get 100% of the cost covered by insurance and every policy is different.

the ambulance one is one of the constants.. medicare does not cover any ambulance costs.

derab
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ball park for braces is $5000 these days. If you pay up front there is usually a worthwhile discount though. Medicare just covers doctors fees. To get dental or optical coverage as well as private hospital coverage you need private insurance - there are a range of options for private medical. I believe in Qld you pay for ambulance cover through your electricity bill which makes sense.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Hunsletlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by quoll
Ball park for braces is $5000 these days. If you pay up front there is usually a worthwhile discount though. Medicare just covers doctors fees. To get dental or optical coverage as well as private hospital coverage you need private insurance - there are a range of options for private medical. I believe in Qld you pay for ambulance cover through your electricity bill which makes sense.
In Qld you pay a charge added to your electricity bill, which covers any emergency ambulance transport. It does not cover "transport" fees, such as transfer between hospitals or home collection etc.
You can still subscribe to the QATB seperately ( and it used to be tax-deductable, not sure if it still is)

Les
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:35 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I believe in Qld you pay for ambulance cover through your electricity bill which makes sense.
.......but not if an individual owns multiple properties that require electricity, ie businesses, as well as having to pay for your own house. Businesses in Ravenshoe Nth Qld, stated when this was first brought in, that they would not be paying the extra and were quite prepared, with portable generators, for when Energex cut supply to their businesses.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:39 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hunsletlad
In Qld you pay a charge added to your electricity bill, which covers any emergency ambulance transport. It does not cover "transport" fees, such as transfer between hospitals or home collection etc.
You can still subscribe to the QATB seperately ( and it used to be tax-deductable, not sure if it still is)

Les
Apparently patient transport is rumored by the Premier to be cut from services offered by QAS to save money.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 19th 2008 at 1:12 pm. Reason: Not relevant to subject matter.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

In Vic the TAC covers ambulance from a road traffic accident and any transfers associated with the accident. For other ambulance trips you will pay or you will need cover. It doesn't cost much and you can get it at the post office. You can also get ambulance cover as part of private health cover.

Don't know about braces. I assume that you will pay or you will need to get some serious private health cover. Note that if you spend more than $1500 on medical stuff (including dentist) in a single tax year then you can claim 20% of the excess (over $1500) as a tax rebate. You can include your children's expenses with your own for this and you can include the cost of medicines (including paracetamol).