British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Amazon opening up In Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/amazon-opening-up-australia-895679/)

Amazulu Apr 19th 2017 11:29 pm

Amazon opening up In Australia

Awesome news

Bye, bye, Gerry, Bye, bye!

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...huge-warehouse

Bix Apr 20th 2017 1:00 am

Re: Amazon opening up In Australia

Great news :thumb:

Was chatting about this last week saying they must already be looking for big scale warehouses. I wonder if the Masters stores are the correct size.

I've been buying electronics from them for years so having "local" delivery is a real boon. It may make a Prime subscription more viable.

Amazulu Apr 20th 2017 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 12233296)
Great news :thumb:

Was chatting about this last week saying they must already be looking for big scale warehouses. I wonder if the Masters stores are the correct size.

I've been buying electronics from them for years so having "local" delivery is a real boon. It may make a Prime subscription more viable.

I would say that a Masters site would be too small for an initial warehouse. They will be looking for something much, much bigger on the edge of Australia's 3 biggest cities

Bix Apr 20th 2017 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12233303)
I would say that a Masters site would be too small for an initial warehouse. They will be looking for something much, much bigger on the edge of Australia's 3 biggest cities

Yeah, just found that the average Masters was 13,000 m2 so nowhere near what they are looking for.

GarryP Apr 20th 2017 3:57 am

There has been previous speculation that Amazon will start rolling out its services in September. Business Insider understands some of the retail offering could come online sooner.

The initial focus for Australia will be consumer and home electronics — the market currently dominated by JB Hi-Fi and Harvey Norman.
From the sound of it it's JB Hifi that's got the most to worry about. If they launch in the gadget market over the next 6 months, with good delivery times and prices, it's going to cut the heart out of their business. Gerry can always go back to selling furniture.

From the size of warehouse they mention, we are talking about the biggest that Australia might have, meaning that they are probably going to have to build new for much of their expansion (which might be why they are delayed). For a rough idea, here is the google streetview of a warehouse that's not quite big enough :

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37....7i13312!8i6656

I'd guess they will be looking for somewhere near a port, and a cargo airport, and the road network, in either Melbourne or Sydney. Preferably somewhere with unemployment (since they have a bad rep).

I'm thinking Geelong way ...

Buzzy--Bee Apr 20th 2017 8:31 am

I understand that in Western Sydney they are planning to take over an entire industrial estate, and then build a similar facility next door.

commonwealth Apr 20th 2017 11:53 am

Lowflation for years to come

ozzieeagle Apr 20th 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 12233540)
I understand that in Western Sydney they are planning to take over an entire industrial estate, and then build a similar facility next door.

Has to be there IMO...... It's going to be interesting to see how they service Townsville, FNQ, Darwin, Broome, Albany and the Outback. Perth on it's own will be interesting, Took Aldi years to get there. Or will it just be Amazon, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and perhaps a few provincial cities.

Aus Posts expresses are delayed on average 3 times a week in Jan/Feb out of Brisbane and Townsville and vice versa into Queensland, You can't take on Mother nature ;) So maybe "Amazon East coast, ten months a year" could be a better title.

Will Amazon do a Starbucks and Masters. Or will Aussies and Amazon accept slower service in Australia.

BEVS Apr 20th 2017 9:35 pm

I keep thinking the thread title reads

Amazulu opening up in Australia.

GarryP Apr 21st 2017 12:18 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12234165)
Has to be there IMO...... It's going to be interesting to see how they service Townsville, FNQ, Darwin, Broome, Albany and the Outback. Perth on it's own will be interesting, Took Aldi years to get there. Or will it just be Amazon, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and perhaps a few provincial cities.

Aus Posts expresses are delayed on average 3 times a week in Jan/Feb out of Brisbane and Townsville and vice versa into Queensland, You can't take on Mother nature ;) So maybe "Amazon East coast, ten months a year" could be a better title.

As I pointed out before, you can hit next day delivery for 65% of the population with about 6 warehouses. That rises to 80+% if you include some larger provincial towns. The likes of FNQ will probably get much slower service (but then again, they are used to it). There's no requirement for Amazon to hit 100% with next day service.

Saying that, I did have a way of them speeding up the rural locations quite a bit, once they have the drones flying.

SillyOldBag Apr 21st 2017 1:18 am

Yes for sure postal times to Cairns and other places in FNQ will be interesting - at the moment local post is taking 8 days - I really can't fathom how it can possibly take 8 days for an ordinary letter to travel across town. Mine is not to reason why though. Thank heavens most stuff is done electronically these days.

Looking forward to having a "local" Amazon.

Amazulu Apr 21st 2017 1:33 am

I would imagine that Amazon delivery will be nationwide with one day delivery options for Melbourne and Sydney initially and the rest of the country be served with longer delivery times. As they expand, Amazon will open up centres further out from the SE corner of Australia, meaning that delivery times will shorten for the rest of the country. In the US, Amazon have warehouses that services areas with a smaller population than Perth's 2.1m and they offer one-day delivery to very remote places like Montana

ozzieeagle Apr 22nd 2017 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag (Post 12234437)
Yes for sure postal times to Cairns and other places in FNQ will be interesting - at the moment local post is taking 8 days - I really can't fathom how it can possibly take 8 days for an ordinary letter to travel across town. Mine is not to reason why though. Thank heavens most stuff is done electronically these days.

Looking forward to having a "local" Amazon.

I'd say your local mail is going to Brisbane for sorting....... believe it or not. Far easier for post to run it all through their machines.

GarryP Aug 3rd 2017 2:05 am

Well, Amazon have today formally announced they are opening their first warehouse at Dandenong South.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...-centre-2017-8

They quote a "24,000 square metre fulfilment centre". Interestingly this is a fraction of the usual size for an Amazon warehouse (usually 100k square metres) - which suggests they are only starting on a limited product range, and that this is more of a temporary measure.

ozzieeagle Aug 3rd 2017 4:59 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12308134)
Well, Amazon have today formally announced they are opening their first warehouse at Dandenong South.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...-centre-2017-8

They quote a "24,000 square metre fulfilment centre". Interestingly this is a fraction of the usual size for an Amazon warehouse (usually 100k square metres) - which suggests they are only starting on a limited product range, and that this is more of a temporary measure.

They won't be delivering their own parcels though :sneaky: :blink: Not for the first couple of years at least.

Post will be.

Chances are they won't ever get their own delivery fleet in this country by the looks.

They've already been in talks.