Am I a POM

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I a POM

If you are born and brought up in Scotland are you a POM ?

This is a reasonably serious question - what do Aussies call Scots people?

Ken
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 8:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I a POM

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
If you are born and brought up in Scotland are you a POM ?

This is a reasonably serious question - what do Aussies call Scots people?

Ken
Yes you will be lumped in the same boat as us. English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish are all poms to the average Aussie and trying to educate them on the difference is fruitless.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:05 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
Yes you will be lumped in the same boat as us. English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish are all poms to the average Aussie and trying to educate them on the difference is fruitless.

i found this to be true when i visited australia, bloody annoying to be called a pom when your not english.

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Afraid so !!!
I was asked the other week if I was Scottish and I'm from the midland of England, Aussie's just seem to class the entire of the UK as English, they just don't seem to have no idea on accent and location.

But don't worry yourselves too much as England have beaten them to the world cup !!! Bet they'll be quiet now eh ?

Juls
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:11 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi welshboybilly,

you'll forever be English once you get there.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:17 pm
WBB

Originally posted by markeh
Hi welshboybilly,

you'll forever be English once you get there.

Bye
Markeh

you can take away my visa but you can NEVER take my welshness

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I did hear someone from Scotland called a Jock last week..
However, Aussies do tend to lump the UK together - the Irish bit confuses a lot of them though!
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:01 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Actually, you get to choose.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

I've heard the word "pommy" refers to the pomegranets that the English ate to prevent getting scurvy on their long sea trip out from England.I think it refers more to the English than other British (and definately not the Irish).

If people ask me if I'm a Pom I just say I'm a Scot..... and they apologise!

When they ask which team I support I say the Ozzies,Scotland and whatever team are playing the Poms.
I find that more Ozzies understand that England and Scotland ( not sure about Wales) are different countries than English.Why do English think that Scotland is a region of England???

P.S. My best friend is English.

Last edited by mary1; Nov 23rd 2003 at 12:25 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:20 am
WBB

Originally posted by mary1

lol

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:52 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but...

"Sorry...you're a Scot"?

is not the same as...

"Sorry you're a Scot"
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

What! You mean they've been SYMPATHISING with me!

But I come from a country that contributed so much! Like haggis,tartan,bagpipes not to mention the BayCity Rollers and bad weather.

Do I nees any symapthy?
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

But I come from a country that contributed so much! Like haggis,tartan,bagpipes not to mention the BayCity Rollers and bad weather.

Do I nees any symapthy?

Went to Scotland this May I really really Loved it.... I was Born in Wallasey did'nt leave England till I was 20 but never went to Scotland... what a lovely place..........
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:03 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I nees any symapthy?
Well as Billy Connelly always says...

"Dinnae clish-ma-claver wi' nae calsay-paiker."

I guess you had to be there...
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:37 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

To most aussie a pom is someone from Great Britian or the United Kingdom. Doesnt necessarily have to be English, although as someone pointed out, if you comment specifically that you are scottish or welsh or whatever most will apologise (but still in their mind think you are a pom LOL). Accents sound very similar to most people. Could most people from the UK tell the difference between an aussie & a kiwi accent or the regional australian accents? Or a US or Canadian accent? Probably not. I cant count the number of times in the US I was asked if I was british.

Of course, if you arent from the United Kingdom, then chances are you wont be called a pom. You're likely to be called a wog (someone of southern european extraction)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.