Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I making the right decision?

Am I making the right decision?

Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I can remember that exact situation with small kids, just write that exact paragraph inserting words like boiling ,searing, burning, sweating......

As for traffic, where are you moving?
Yes it is always interesting when you here someone with no knowlege or experience of the climate talk of hot being better. As I have said there were many days my kids wouldnt go outside because of the heat.

Also yes Brisbane traffic is a nightmare.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:26 am
Just Joined

CherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to behold

I've been to Brisbane several times now at various times of the year and understand the climate. I do think the climate does enable a more outdoor life style than the uk. There will be times when it's too hot to go outside but I think this is preferable than freezing cold. At least I hope so.

And whilst I have seen the traffic get worse over the years it is certainly not a patch on London.

I find this forum strange. I realise people are trying to play devils advocate and help people move with their eyes wise open. But I do find it quite negative! There's not a lot of love for Australia out there!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

It's just people commenting on their own experiences - good or bad. You often tend to find when they live in Aus they focus on the negatives there and when they live in the Uk they focus on the negatives there. Much easier to view through rose coloured glasses when you're not in either place.

Brisbane - it's "too" hot January and February, but you get used to that. Winter in Brisbane is the equivalent of spring in so many other places.

Brisbane - it's not London - not many places are - and that can be a good thing if you don't like big cities or are sick of them.

Brisbane - it's not Sydney or Melbourne - once again can be a good thing if you don't like big cities or cities that think they are big.

Big British expat community who catch up regularly and full of big British expats who don't search out other expats.

The suburbs you are think ing of are very good. Easy transport into the city, although travel through the peak times an it's harder. Same everywhere. Living on a train line is the key and Coorparoo offers you that.

Give it a ceratin period of time and if it doesn't work out, move back. No one is going to blame you for trying something new. Good Luck.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CherryUK
I've been to Brisbane several times now at various times of the year and understand the climate. I do think the climate does enable a more outdoor life style than the uk. There will be times when it's too hot to go outside but I think this is preferable than freezing cold. At least I hope so.

And whilst I have seen the traffic get worse over the years it is certainly not a patch on London.

I find this forum strange. I realise people are trying to play devils advocate and help people move with their eyes wise open. But I do find it quite negative! There's not a lot of love for Australia out there!
Its not negative or strange, its just the the experiences of people who live here, day in day out are different from when you are on holiday.

I dont think saying Brisbane can be very hot and with extreme UV is a statement anyone living here will disagree with, ...... OK here they come You have to protect your kids skin from the UV 12 months a year, it becomes tiresome. When my kids were little here I had to attend the kids hospital in the city 3 weekly. The bus stop was only 500m from the hospital, by the time we got from bus to hosp we would be dripping in sweat and them as little ones utterly exhausted. Tropical style rain and storms hardly made for pleasant walking conditions either. Knee deep in rain filled streets, an hour after it was sunny yep. Wetter than you ever got in a shower, its hard to explain but anyone living here for a few summers would know the business I mean.

Brisbanes peak traffic is legendary. Way up there with anything melb or syd can chuck out. One accident seems to send the limited road/bridge system into absolute gridlock. Ask anyone on here. The public transport system is limited for such a population and parking is hideously expensive. Even a school run is a nightmare, heat and rain mean a lot drive their kids.

It can be a beautiful city, colonial houses, red and purple trees, green and lush, and lots to do, and very very cheap housing wise compared to Syd and melb. As a new arrival I would pick it over S or M, housing cost for a start and most arriving want that stonking hot climate.

I do know a little bit about the commute and weather I lived here for 10+ years

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 25th 2014 at 8:20 am.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:11 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont view it as negative and I can only comment on myself and say there is a great deal of love for Australia. I spent 12 years in Brisbane and it is the only place in Australia I would live. You cant really understand the climate unless you have spent a prolonged period there, a holiday doesnt do it. I read comments from others that are just gushing and entirely positive, worthy of the tourist board. They could be considered equally as bad as they give a totally unrealistic view.
Of course the traffic in Brisbane isnt a patch on London, you wouldnt expect it to be but equally the traffic where we are is 100 times better than Brisbane as you would expect.
Your kids may well have a more outdoorsy life in Brisbane, our Brisbane born and bred kids ended up hating the heat and humidity. Again I will use a phrase I use often, there is no one size fits all.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Talking for Melbourne which is different to Brisbane I would say the climate lends itself to the outdoors as there are only about 2 months of real heat - and even they don't all have scorchers. You can do everything in winter - it is not so cold that you can't play sport or run or walk.

The only hardship outside is if you are exercising or moving around much more than walking. Even when it is 30 degrees you have low humidity but you can still go for a walk - you just need to wear a hat.

I don't think we have ever ventured out then given up : unless it is 40 in which case you don't venture out at all.

We have taken our kids out in winter in rain and got soaked - but we were not so cold we were gibbering. It's not like you have to break the ice on the puddles but I hear you did back in the day!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 11:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I always wonder why people ask "what should I do?". "Am I making the right decision?" then get all shitty when people offer advice.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's because you are moving to Brisbane. Those who live in Brisbane project a negative vibe. Those who don't are concerned for your well being and generally like living in other places such as Melb and Syd.

Take it from Chris. As he said he has only ever lived in Brisbane (though I'm pretty sure somewhere along the line he said he lived in Geelong ..... Equally bad) or would only live on Brisbane (whatever) and he got the hell out of town and can't say a nice word about Brisbane.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 12:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I'm surprised how negative so many people are on this thread. The majority of the immigrants that I've met in this fine country are very pleased with their new home - regardless of the Aussie city they've settled in. Well, all except Adelaide that is....
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

CherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorry but why am I being 'shitty'? I simply said I found it strange. With the odd exception there's been a lot of negative replies about Australia and it does make me wonder why people are living there if there's so much not to like.

I'm sure they're are plenty of positives also and it would be really helpful to hear a balanced report of the good and the bad not just the bad.

I dont think im being 'shitty'. Im just confused and surprised. I very much appreciate people taking the time and effort to respond. From my point of view this is the most daunting (and expensive!) decision of my life. And hearing the good as well as the bad would help.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 1:59 pm
Banned

I'm sorry but why am I being 'shitty'? I simply said I found it strange. With the odd exception there's been a lot of negative replies about Australia and it does make me wonder why people are living there if there's so much not to like.

I'm sure they're are plenty of positives also and it would be really helpful to hear a balanced report of the good and the bad not just the bad.

I dont think im being 'shitty'. Im just confused and surprised. I very much appreciate people taking the time and effort to respond. From my point of view this is the most daunting (and expensive!) decision of my life. And hearing the good as well as the bad would help.
Generally I enjoyed living in Brisbane, it's certainly way better than Melbourne or Sydney for instance but it's not paradise. Oddly enough growing up in Victoria I used to think of Queensland as being a tropical paradise but it's not until you live somewhere you fully understand. There are lots of things to do in Brisbane and many of them are free. We used to do a lot of bush walking when the weather allowed, wildlife is a huge interest for me so that was a major plus.
What strikes a nerve if you like is when someone says something like 'better life for the kids' as really there are no guarantees you will get that. It will be a different life but not measurably better.
In the unlikely even I was to return to Australia then Brisbane would be where we would go so there are lots of positives as well.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Generally I enjoyed living in Brisbane, it's certainly way better than Melbourne or Sydney for instance but it's not paradise. Oddly enough growing up in Victoria I used to think of Queensland as being a tropical paradise but it's not until you live somewhere you fully understand. There are lots of things to do in Brisbane and many of them are free. We used to do a lot of bush walking when the weather allowed, wildlife is a huge interest for me so that was a major plus.
What strikes a nerve if you like is when someone says something like 'better life for the kids' as really there are no guarantees you will get that. It will be a different life but not measurably better.
In the unlikely even I was to return to Australia then Brisbane would be where we would go so there are lots of positives as well.
Yup, it's that glib "better life" thing I think. Different for sure, better? not inherently! I don't think you can ever appreciate the difference when you are in holiday mode, who doesn't love the place they enjoy on holiday? Living in those places day to day really isn't the same.
My grand kids, on their holidays to UK enjoyed a far more outdoor lifestyle than ever they have in Canberra (see Jad'n'Rich re sun protection) plus real grass to play on!

Brisbane would be too hot and humid for me - nice enough for a holiday but not to live however at some stage I will be returning to Canberra - nice enough but still not good on hot days and bloody cold on cold days. Still, it'll be just the same on a day to day basis - wash the dishes, put the garbage out, clean the loo etc and all that stuff you imagine yourself doing will sort of fade into contemptuous familiarity after a while (my UK bucket list is still pretty much full because I'm here now and there is no urgency - same with Aus).

As long as you can approach a move as an adventure and don't burn any bridges in the process it will be a whole lot easier to manage. While you have freedom it'll be fine!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Looking through the thread, I know that there is a majority of posters that have answered who are happy with their lives in Australia. But you have set off three claxon bells with me and I expect others too and I think that is why some people are trying to remove some of the rose-tinted not add to it!

You have said you want a "better life for the kids" that you want a "more outdoorsy" life and also that you speak to your parents every day. To those three points my own thoughts are quite similar to what others have said.

There is no evidence that Australia is better for kids, it is swapping one first world country for another, if you were moving from Afghanistan then yes I agree Australia is better for kids.

Australia has a harsh and unforgiving climate. UK is temperate. Here it rains torrentially and most cities in Australia have higher rainfall than most cities in UK. And whilst you can wrap up and dress properly for cold, there is really nothing you can do to protect against heat and humidity other than stay out of it. I have definitely had the weather put paid to my plans more times here than there, probably rain in my case. When Sydney rains it really rains and you just bunker up, in UK an umbrella will protect from that light drizzle.

Parents, well I just have a view that emigration is harder for close families and you seem to be one of those.

And I am also not negative about Australia, I am one of the happy ones, but I don't and never have worn the rose tints about it.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Mar 25th 2014 at 8:43 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Maybe I need to be asking what people like about living in Australia?
Think I'd find this helpful.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I need to be asking what people like about living in Australia?
Think I'd find this helpful.
Well I will answer that one. Although as I said, my feeling is you need negatives not positives to counter your rosy view, but I shall comply anyway

I like living in Australia as I am a traveller at heart and it allows me to live and explore this huge country and this side of the world at leisure. I wanted an adventure and it has provided that.

I find Sydney quite an easy city to live in, obviously it has nowhere near the range of activities as London has, but it offers a nice combination of city and beach life. I like that as a city, Sydney is relatively quiet and uncrowded compared to UK cities I have lived in.

To date we have both had pleasant work experiences. We both found jobs before we moved and are both with the same companies nearly four years later. I found my place very easy to fit into and like all my colleagues, who were welcoming from day one.

I love the blue skies. (Yes it rains far too much here for my liking, but when the sky is blue it is stunning).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.