British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   am i mad! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/am-i-mad-228090/)

brownie1968 May 2nd 2004 12:02 pm

am i mad!

My partner and I are contemplating a move to australia, along with three kids 8, 3 and 2.

I have this vision that Australia will offer us especially the kids a better life than we have here, a more relaxed quality of life. We would have around £150K from sale of house and I envisage that we could have a relatively small mortgage, obviously depending on where we chose to live. Am I living in cloud cuckoo land!!

Any advice good ro bad would be appreciated.

ABCDiamond May 2nd 2004 12:25 pm

Re: am i mad!

Originally posted by brownie1968
My partner and I are contemplating a move to australia, along with three kids 8, 3 and 2.

I have this vision that Australia will offer us especially the kids a better life than we have here, a more relaxed quality of life. We would have around £150K from sale of house and I envisage that we could have a relatively small mortgage, obviously depending on where we chose to live. Am I living in cloud cuckoo land!!

£150,000 at current rates is about $360,000, which will buy you a "Mortgage Free" house in quite a few areas. But you also need to spend time finding a job, so you will need to allow a certain amount for that.

Financially, it's "not" cloud cuckoo land at all, so now comes the reading and checking to see if its what you really want.

SteveBannister May 2nd 2004 12:32 pm

Whereabouts in Hertfordshire are you?

brownie1968 May 2nd 2004 12:38 pm

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Whereabouts in Hertfordshire are you?
We're in Cheshunt, just north of Enfield

SteveBannister May 2nd 2004 12:43 pm

We're in Cheshunt, just north of Enfield
You might be interested in this Hertfordshire Meet-Up then.

It's a good way to meet people already going through the process or, like yourselves, just thinking about it. It's nice to bounce ideas off other people.

Good luck with it all, we're off to Adelaide as soon as the house sells!

Steve.

wombat42 May 2nd 2004 10:18 pm

As long as you don't live in Sydney or inner suburbs of Melbourne you can buy a good family house in a nice area for $360,000.
However your main concern should be your ability to find employment in Australia.

tinaj May 2nd 2004 10:22 pm

Good on ya!!

Our kids have a fantastic lifestyle out here and would not want to return. I could write a long list of things that they now do that they never had the chance to do in England.

Going to the meet up is worthwhile, you will meet others that are going through the process and can share ideas/fears!

Good luck

:)

Grayling May 2nd 2004 10:27 pm

Originally posted by wombat42
As long as you don't live in Sydney or inner suburbs of Melbourne you can buy a good family house in a nice area for $360,000.
However your main concern should be your ability to find employment in Australia.
I think that this is the most important consideration.
Better to have a good job and a reasonable mortgage than no job and no mortgage.
Cheap areas tend to be cheap for a reason.

Good luck

G