Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I living in cloud cuckooland ?

Am I living in cloud cuckooland ?

Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

wishfulthinking is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Am I living in cloud cuckooland ?

Hi again

Need some help again please. After speaking to hubbie we hope to buy a business and hopefully qualify for a visa this way.

Does anyone have any recommendations about how we should go about this? And where to look for further info.

The other question is my parents have also expressed an interest in coming with us and my dad and hubbie running a business together, how feasible is this? My dad is 45 (don't know if that makes a difference!).

Sorry to sound so naive but we are only just started looking into this - my dad thinks I am in cloud cuckooland and thats why I want to research this further so I can prove him wrong

Thanks for reading.

Miranda
Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:49 pm
Badge

Default Re: Am I living in cloud cuckooland ?

he certainly mustn't be over 45 when you apply..

or maybe this doesn't apply to business visas..

sorry to not contribute anymore..
(!)

Badge

Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by wishfulthinking
Hi again

Need some help again please. After speaking to hubbie we hope to buy a business and hopefully qualify for a visa this way.

Does anyone have any recommendations about how we should go about this? And where to look for further info.

The other question is my parents have also expressed an interest in coming with us and my dad and hubbie running a business together, how feasible is this? My dad is 45 (don't know if that makes a difference!).

Sorry to sound so naive but we are only just started looking into this - my dad thinks I am in cloud cuckooland and thats why I want to research this further so I can prove him wrong

Thanks for reading.

Miranda
Hi Miranda

You don't actually say where you want to migrate to in Australia, but if you were interested in Perth your Dad may still be able to migrate with a business visa up until the age of 55, if you apply for State Sponsorship. A good website to check out is http://www.sbdc.com.au/drilldown/drilldown.asp?refid=8.
(This link is showing an error, but click on Business Migration at the top of the page and its fine). This is specific to Perth and you still have a lot of criteria to meet, but you can apply up to the age of 45 normally or up to age 55 with State Sponsorship and the other criteria in this category is also slightly lower. We weren't originally intending to migrate to Perth but found this one of the best (and only!!) options for us. We did do it all through a Migration Agent and received our visa last week. I think South Australia also offer lower criteria, check out http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit...e_nav_id=2936.

There is of course the main immigration website www.immi.gov.au which someone else mentioned.

Hope this helps and gives you some useful information.

Good Luck

Sam
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

vanriet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Miranda, I think you should really talk to an agent as everyone's situation is different. I guess you could probably figure it out for yourself by reading all the stuff on the net but if you get the wrong advice, you will lose time. We decided to go for a business visa and used an agent - we only had limited time to file our application as the visa in question was being cancelled. I have posted elsewhere the details of the agent we used: his name is Grahame Igglesden at Koncept australia nb 0208 467 8522.

When we were first looking at migration we looked at buying a business route but were rather unclear about the visa options. After a quick chat with Grahame on the phone we send him our CV's and he was very clear about the (one) route that was open to us.

Also, there are lots of sites on the net of business brokers that will help you buy a business - just do a search on "business broker" and australia.

Hope this helps and good luck

annemarie
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

wishfulthinking is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.

Think best way forward is to get in touch with a couple of agents and get some quotes as I think our case might be a bit complex!

Thanks again
Miranda

Last edited by wishfulthinking; Dec 15th 2003 at 12:58 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi Miranda,

I havent got a clue what s the best route for you, but I can say you will get lots of advice on this site.
A lot of agents also log on and you will find they will also assist you

Sandra