Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am i imagining this??

Am i imagining this??

Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

LondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant future
Default Am i imagining this??

HI all,

I have just seen this

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1172572355

Which is apparantly £189,000 GBP!!!!??? This is enough incentive in itself to move to Melbourne!

Is this correct? I have heard that mornington is a nice suburb too!?

Im astonished! Maybe because i'm in London at the moment and our one bed flat (2 rooms in total flat) is worth £180k! lol

How bizarre!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i imagining this??

Originally Posted by LondonCouple
HI all,

I have just seen this

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1172572355

Which is apparantly £189,000 GBP!!!!??? This is enough incentive in itself to move to Melbourne!

Im astonished! Maybe because i'm in London at the moment and our one bed flat (2 rooms in total flat) is worth £180k! lol

How bizarre!
Housing is much cheaper in parts of Australia than parts of London.

However don't believe everything you see on Realestate websites.....they are masters of smoke and mirrors.

You really need to see the place for yourself....things often look different in real life....it can be quite enlightening to compare the real thing to the estate agent spiel

G
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

LondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant futureLondonCouple has a brilliant future

Yes of course i totally agree and understand that, but honestly...living in London as a young professional couple at the moment is soul destroying! To see that we could potentially afford something like this just seems crazy when it wouldn't even buy us a shoe box in London!
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course i totally agree and understand that, but honestly...living in London as a young professional couple at the moment is soul destroying! To see that we could potentially afford something like this just seems crazy when it wouldn't even buy us a shoe box in London!
Well , using that logic, why not move to parts of Africa or the far east where you may be able to buy a mansion?

Try buying a house for that price in the centre of Melbourne or Sydney.

You are not comparing like with Like.

G
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Actually i am! I live one hour outside of London and our flat is worth £192k, we rent at the moment, but it is literally 2 rooms!

I would not want to live in the centre of Melbourne or Sydney, i like the outskirts/Suburbs.

Im sorry if you have taken offence to me being a bit excited about the possibility of my new life and what it could entail! I was just generally astonished at this.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Actually i am! I live one hour outside of London and our flat is worth £192k, we rent at the moment, but it is literally 2 rooms!

I would not want to live in the centre of Melbourne or Sydney, i like the outskirts/Suburbs.

Im sorry if you have taken offence to me being a bit excited about the possibility of my new life and what it could entail! I was just generally astonished at this.
I have not taken offence.

Remember many people on this site would find £180000 expensive.

there are still many parts of the UK where you can buy a decent house for that price.....such as here in the midlands.

....but my youngest son has just looked at buying a house in Cambridge for £360000....it is all relative.

G
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Yes your right, it is. Ahhh i feel like had a mad 20 minutes of over excitement! I cant wait to leave this country! lol
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Yes your right, it is. Ahhh i feel like had a mad 20 minutes of over excitement! I cant wait to leave this country! lol
Good luck then.

G
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

You couldnt afford to live in the centre of Melbourne or Sydney - you need closer to £500K before you start looking

But seriously cheap property is cheap for a reason - look in more detail at the map. At look at the photos without the marketing facade and see what value is really there.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly is a nice area, however, this part of it. St Mitchells Circuit is not the greatest part. It backs onto an industrial area and the houses are all very nice and quite large, but who wants to look out their back garden onto a warehouse.

As an estate agent said to us when we were looking for a house, you can do a lot better for your dollars than there.

John
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:09 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling
I have not taken offence.

Remember many people on this site would find £180000 expensive.

there are still many parts of the UK where you can buy a decent house for that price.....such as here in the midlands.

....but my youngest son has just looked at buying a house in Cambridge for £360000....it is all relative.

G
Have you ever lived in oz grayling????
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by stu:0
Have you ever lived in oz grayling????
No....why do you ask?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 5:46 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling
No....why do you ask?
You just seem to know alot about Australia
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by stu:0
You just seem to know alot about Australia
My son has lived there for about 7 years and I spend a few weeks there each year.

Probably moving over later this year.

G
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:06 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh i feel like had a mad 20 minutes of over excitement!
I get that all the time ( usually after a few wines!)
It's ok to be excited about trying to improve your life.
We all know that Australia isn't Utopia and we all know that houses can look better on the internet.Hopefully though ,our English pounds give us a bit of a boost when it comes to buying property so we can get excited about upgrading.
You will not get a 5 bed house that looks like that one even in the roughest part of England for £189000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.