Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I fussy......or just stupid?

Am I fussy......or just stupid?

Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Jellyface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I fussy......or just stupid?

What a great forum which we have found to be full of useful nuggets of information - thanks to you all.

I have read through all the threads that are relevant to me but wonder if someone might share their thoughts on my situation (please excuse the excessive use of numbers and percentages below… )

- I‘m currently in London on a take home pay of around AU$84k (paying a monthly rental of AU$3000)

- I have been offered a job in Sydney at $75k - after taking off the 9% super and including tax benefit of LAFHA the take home pay would be (I think) around AU$54k (36% less)

- I have looked at various cost of living threads here and elsewhere and the general consensus seems to be (and looking at rental prices I think this is about right) it's about 17-20% cheaper to live in Sydney than London.

So………

1. Am I a mug for considering this still or can 2 people live quite well on this salary in Sydney? (My girlfriend works freelance and the income can be erratic)
2. Or am I a fussy eejit for questioning it when there‘s a chance to actually live in Sydney?

Many thanks!
JF
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:15 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice
Default Re: Am I fussy......or just stupid?

Originally Posted by Jellyface
What a great forum which we have found to be full of useful nuggets of information - thanks to you all.

I have read through all the threads that are relevant to me but wonder if someone might share their thoughts on my situation (please excuse the excessive use of numbers and percentages below… )

- I‘m currently in London on a take home pay of around AU$84k (paying a monthly rental of AU$3000)

- I have been offered a job in Sydney at $75k - after taking off the 9% super and including tax benefit of LAFHA the take home pay would be (I think) around AU$54k (36% less)

- I have looked at various cost of living threads here and elsewhere and the general consensus seems to be (and looking at rental prices I think this is about right) it's about 17-20% cheaper to live in Sydney than London.

So………

1. Am I a mug for considering this still or can 2 people live quite well on this salary in Sydney? (My girlfriend works freelance and the income can be erratic)
2. Or am I a fussy eejit for questioning it when there‘s a chance to actually live in Sydney?

Many thanks!
JF
Hmmmm!!

London...?

Sydney...?

No contest really!! Slightly less income but 100% better lifestyle, weather etc.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:25 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I've only been to Sydney once....but I'd take London any day. If you were going to move out here....Melbourne is the place to be!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

before hubby got a job here in Victoria he was offered a place at a company in Sydney for approx $75K. Allowing for the fact that we have 4 kids and would have had to pay school fees, would have needed a reasonable size house and that he was working in the CBD it was a joke. We looked at the numbers from all angles and just couldn't make it work and believe me we wanted to . However things didn't happen and then later this position came up where we are with more money and a lower cost of living so it has worked out well for us.
I must say though if it had only been the 2 of us we would have gone for the Sydney offer just for the experience. It all depends on how much you want to be there and whether you are happy to comparomise and go with the flow.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

a single person will do fine in Sydney on AUS75
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
a single person will do fine in Sydney on AUS75
It is a pity he is not single then

I do think though if you are looking at rental (small flat central CBD at the moment, not too flash) and will have the advantage of LAFHA that $75K for a couple would be reasonable. The improved 'Lifestyle' that everyone craps on about is a personal thing that may or may not happen depending on how involved the job is. If you need to spend money to have a good time I think you will find Sydney as expensive as London with a 36% drop on what you manage on now.

You need to check out rentals and areas, as a couple I would suggest deciding between beach or inner city burb - don't look at the outer burbs they would possibly bore you silly in weeks :scared:
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:03 am
ABCDiamond

I have been offered a job in Sydney at $75k - after taking off the 9% super and including tax benefit of LAFHA the take home pay would be (I think) around AU$54k (36% less)
How much is the LAFHA actually worth ?

The tax on a salary of $68,807.34 (ie: basic salary, if they have quoted you $75k including super) would be $18,110.94 leaving $50,696.40 Net, before the LAFHA benefits.

Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:08 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How much is the LAFHA actually worth ?

The tax on a salary of $68,807.34 (ie: basic salary, if they have quoted you $75k including super) would be $18,110.94 leaving $50,696.40 Net, before the LAFHA benefits.
i get about 30% of my gross fortnightly salary tax free because of LAFHA
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by cam_uk
i get about 30% of my gross fortnightly salary tax free because of LAFHA
On the OP's $68k salary, that % would save about $7,500 in tax then.

A tax free benefit of 15%, of gross salary, would save about $4,300 in tax.

Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:23 am
Coogee Rocks

Originally Posted by Sandra
It is a pity he is not single then

I do think though if you are looking at rental (small flat central CBD at the moment, not too flash) and will have the advantage of LAFHA that $75K for a couple would be reasonable. The improved 'Lifestyle' that everyone craps on about is a personal thing that may or may not happen depending on how involved the job is. If you need to spend money to have a good time I think you will find Sydney as expensive as London with a 36% drop on what you manage on now.

You need to check out rentals and areas, as a couple I would suggest deciding between beach or inner city burb - don't look at the outer burbs they would possibly bore you silly in weeks :scared:
Have to agree check out the rent I would suggest the CBD, Inner west or Eastern subs or North shore near the beach. Much further out and you will have trouble get the bus home or the taxi will cost to much after the pub!

I am looking at moving to a nice newish two bed house in Newtown (inner west) and its 400 a week rent.

As for the comparison between London and Sydney.... it really depends on the individual they are quite different cities (as every city is).

also check that the 9% is not included.

Personaly I am bit better off as I pay alot less rent and takeaway and beer is cheaper - but everyone has different expenses.

Last edited by Coogee Rocks; Jan 6th 2006 at 2:26 am.

Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If you prefer indoor activities, IE Clubs, pubs, and other social type gatherings then London would be the place to be. If you like Outdoor type activities, including outdoor Restaurants, beaches, Flora and Fauna, etc, then Sydney would certainly be of more interest to you.

BTW Allegedly, Melbourne, is the Night club Capital of Aussie. Also you Should be able to earn the Same kind of money in Melbourne as Sydney, with cheaper but just as good housing here. The two cities are very similar in Size, with Melbourne, having a larger CBD.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:14 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

So………

Many thanks!
JF
I say go for it - i earn a similar amount currently in the UK and we are doing it without having a job to go in Aus and having two very young children !!

You get used to what you can afford!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:24 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I say, 'tell your GF to get a 'proper job' with a REGULAR income'....that's what I say!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Jellyface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wargod
I say go for it - i earn a similar amount currently in the UK and we are doing it without having a job to go in Aus and having two very young children !!

You get used to what you can afford!
Thanks to everyone - isn't it strange that I need to seek the comments & approval of complete strangers for a potential move across the world?

Still, it's gratifying that the responses are generally more positive than negative! We are (at least trying to be) more "outdoorsy" types so think that Sydney will work out - I did misunderstand the salary before my last post and can actually take the full 75k as salary and choose not to take the 9% as superannuation.

Anyway, have now accepted it and hoping to be out there within the next 2 months....
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:52 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, have now accepted it and hoping to be out there within the next 2 months....
In which case congratulations are in order !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.