Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I in big trouble already?

Am I in big trouble already?

Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Am I in big trouble already?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What does "strata rule" mean? Never heard that expression before
BS.... strata rule is a bylaws regarding common ground in the likes of a unit complex or townhouse developments, where even if you own your own place there are a strata manger to maintain the common gardens, car spaces, Pool and waste. Things like restrictions on pets, and hanging washing out over balconies are Strata rules

If you have a free standing house you should be ok to avoid a run in with the strata Nazi, BTW you can always claim that the Fox adds value to the house.

If you are not happy with the position of the dish phone Foxtel and tell them you want the dish moved higher up on the roof in a more discrete location, when I got my fox in the 2 shonky Lebanese installers just threw a dish out the front in a bad location because it was quick and handy for them ... just 10 minute job... I got a Foxtel inspector out and asked him why did the installers stick a dish blocking my balcony view and exposing me to the wrath of the Strata Nazi when there was a perfectly good 12 Node shared dish on the roof? He agreed to send another installer out to do it right after I threatened to cancel the subscription because I wasn't happy with the install.

He told me the installers only get like $50 per install and they take short cuts, rather than go up a ladder its easier just throw a dish somewhere inconvenient for you.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

What does "strata rule" mean? Never heard that expression before

Strata rules are a set of legally enforceable bylaws that govern what you can and can't do on the common areas of the property. Very often, they are enforced by busybodies with nothing better to do than make your life hard.

It usually relates to stuff like hanging the washing out on your balcony, having pets in the place, storing stuff in the car space, not using the pool after xx time etc. TBH it seems to be the number one gripe about strata living, and usually rightly so - My ex GF was fined $550 for hanging a single blouse out to air on her balcony - it was photographed and sent to the Strata manager by a busybody neighbour. Unfortunately, because they are bylaws, they are legally enforceable in court etc.

You should have been given a copy of the strata laws by the landlord/again when you moved in, that way you can know what you can and can't do in the place.

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
So long as you're paying the rent on time and not totally destroying the place or performing satanic rituals or something in there, they're generally not too fussed.

I've found that if you're careful you can even get away with the satanic rituals...

S
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

I've found that if you're careful you can even get away with the satanic rituals...

S
Got to go easy on the sacrifices though. Blood is a bitch to get out of the carpet.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:46 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Got to go easy on the sacrifices though. Blood is a bitch to get out of the carpet.

Actually, I found it was the goat - it kept eating everything in the garden, and then started on the fixtures and fittings

S
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

I would send an email asking for permission (pretend it hasn't happened yet) and mentioning that as there is no aerial or other way of getting a decent TV reception, maybe the landlord could share the cost of the dish (or even pay for it all!).

If they come back with a no, offer to pay for it in full while also reiterating all the other issues you have with the heating, aircon, alarm and keypad. Just give them a time limit to reply and if you hear nothing and you're not given any more help, threaten them with the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy tribunal. That should do the trick. My guess is they'll agree to it if you say you'll pay for it (which you already have, but they don't know that)

Remember that the agent only passes on whatever info they want to the owner. That means that they might be a bit more helpful if you show them that you know your rights and where to go for help. For all you know, the agent hasn't even asked the owner about the instructions you require...
See here and here for tenants' rights in NSW.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:24 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

It's discrete from the outside but not the inside as it is on the side of the house.

They are not being very helpful with our questions, we don't know how to work the airconditioning and heating or alarm system and the front door is keypad and we don't even know how to lock it once we are inside! They just keep saying yeah we'll get you some instructions, but haven't. We just didn't think they would help us about the TV arial.
If things arent working and are meant to they are to ensure that they do or repair them.

For example when the property was inspected and a tv outlet is visible then it is reasonable for the tenant to expect that that outlet is connected to a tv antenna and they are able to plug in their tv and expect it to work.

Whilst TVs aren't urgent repairs, the house was assumed to have them work.

For hot water / heating are classed as "urgent repairs" if you cannot get them working and they have to get them working for you very quickly or you can begin dispute proceedings if being unreactive.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:51 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BS,
Assume that your property is rented through an agent and not a flat (which would probably be strata) In which case I would play the relaxed Brit who did not even begin to think that permission would be needed for something like Foxtel - which can be easily dismantled at the end of the rental. I would not ask permission at this point quite simply because you don't want them saying no, and you tacitly admit that you know you should not have done it without that permission.
I would probably adopt a similar approach with a Strata property if needed - but that can be more tricky depending on the local association.
Generally if it becomes a problem and they want it removed they will give you the option to do that before evicting you!
Good luck
Scotty
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I see what you mean about the floor to ceiling windows and the dish does seem a little more prominent than average...
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about525252 has a spectacular aura about

why not just have broadband internet
nowadays you can get almost all the channels online
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for comments, I am worrying myself to death over this. We are in a detached house and the neighbours on either side have dishes so I think I can safely assume there are no strata restrictions.

Considering it is already done, I am quite tempted to go with the "it never occurred to us that we could not have TV" line. If I asked and they said no, then I would have a bit of a problem as Foxtel actually put a new socket in the wall as well as put the dish up. I expected them to use the existing ariel socket but they didn't...
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I think BS that they would say it was fine. We moved into our rental a month ago and there was no dish, so we asked if we could have Foxtel and it was no problem. Can't see why they would say no to be honest.

Stop stressing about it because it is done now. We took the kitchen cupboards apart to fit in our bloody massive fridge in to the stupid tiny fridge space and when I phoned to tell them retrospectively that I have done it, I got "i'll note the file".

I think you will be okay.

Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
I think BS that they would say it was fine. We moved into our rental a month ago and there was no dish, so we asked if we could have Foxtel and it was no problem. Can't see why they would say no to be honest.

Stop stressing about it because it is done now. We took the kitchen cupboards apart to fit in our bloody massive fridge in to the stupid tiny fridge space and when I phoned to tell them retrospectively that I have done it, I got "i'll note the file".

I think you will be okay.

I'm a landlord. If my tenant rang and asked me (or even told me retrospectively) that they wanted Foxtel installed AND that they'd pay for it I'd be thrilled to bits.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Right I am going to chill out about it. FUnnily enough this morning I woke up to an email from my letting agent in the UK, my new tenant has asked for permission to install a Sky dish. I think it would be bad karma to say no after all this.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Right I am going to chill out about it. FUnnily enough this morning I woke up to an email from my letting agent in the UK, my new tenant has asked for permission to install a Sky dish. I think it would be bad karma to say no after all this.

You'll be fine.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 11:57 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Just watch out for those sky installers! Some are real cowboys and dont care. At one house of mine the plonked it bang in the middle of a wall at head height because they couldn't be bothered to get the ladder out.

As the tennant to take a photo of it once its installed just to set your mind at ease that that have placed it nicely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.