British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Am I in big trouble already? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/am-i-big-trouble-already-681348/)

Bermudashorts Aug 15th 2010 8:17 pm

Am I in big trouble already?

So as you may know, we moved into our new rental last week. We don't have furniture so bought a small TV but could not pick up any stations as the ariel does not seem to be connected. So we decided to get Foxtel.

Unfortunately my area is not cabled and now we have a bluddy great dish in place and whilst it is round the side of the house and cannot be seen from anywhere other than our garden, the house has ceiling to floor windows and it is rather visible and prominent.

I am worried because we have put this thing up without landlords permission and I think I am going to be evicted. There are not many people who would be happy to do without TV though are there? What should I do. :(

bongoz Aug 15th 2010 8:40 pm

Re: Am I in big trouble already?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8779262)
So as you may know, we moved into our new rental last week. We don't have furniture so bought a small TV but could not pick up any stations as the ariel does not seem to be connected. So we decided to get Foxtel.

Unfortunately my area is not cabled and now we have a bluddy great dish in place and whilst it is round the side of the house and cannot be seen from anywhere other than our garden, the house has ceiling to floor windows and it is rather visible and prominent.

I am worried because we have put this thing up without landlords permission and I think I am going to be evicted. There are not many people who would be happy to do without TV though are there? What should I do. :(

I would wait until I was about to move on and take it down. At the very worst they might want you to fix any holes that may have been drilled into the walls by the dish installer(s)...

Bermudashorts Aug 15th 2010 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by bongoz (Post 8779290)
I would wait until I was about to move on and take it down. At the very worst they might want you to fix any holes that may have been drilled into the walls by the dish installer(s)...

We will certainly be more than happy to put right anything that needs to be and we would even offer more bond now if they would like to ensure we cover those future costs. I am just worried they will see it at inspection and evlct us. It is first time I have rented in 13 years and I am not sure how strict everything is.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Aug 15th 2010 8:46 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8779262)

I see what you mean about the floor to ceiling windows and the dish does seem a little more prominent than average...

LINZI Aug 15th 2010 9:12 pm

We had austar installed in our last rental and i just dropped them an email requesting permission and they where fine about it i dont think they would evict you but just make sure you get it in writing in some form or another that they are letting you have the dish ect installed.
If i wanted to do anything to the house i always got permission first in writing just to cover myself :)

Bermudashorts Aug 15th 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8779300)
I see what you mean about the floor to ceiling windows and the dish does seem a little more prominent than average...

:rofl:

Originally Posted by LINDZI (Post 8779325)
We had austar installed in our last rental and i just dropped them an email requesting permission and they where fine about it i dont think they would evict you but just make sure you get it in writing in some form or another that they are letting you have the dish ect installed.
If i wanted to do anything to the house i always got permission first in writing just to cover myself :)

Yes, your approach is possibly better than ours. We now need to sek forgiveness not permission as it is already done!

Dreamy Aug 15th 2010 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8779328)
:rofl:

Yes, your approach is possibly better than ours. We now need to sek forgiveness not permission as it is already done!

Don't be daft - just ask for permission.

Its only a problem if they say you can't do it - then I suggest you invest in a large tarp for inspection days :D

Bermudashorts Aug 15th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 8779331)
Its only a problem if they say you can't do it - then I suggest you invest in a large tarp for inspection days :D

We do have a screen / room divider thing in the container on its way. I was pondering putting it up against the window for inspections. Or I was thinking of night time inspections because you can't see it when it is dark outside and the lights are on inside. :D

mark213 Aug 15th 2010 10:15 pm

Most landlords dont mind having it. Actually it adds value to the house for the next renters so its good for them. So long as its discretely placed and out the way, you shouldnt have trouble.

Just email and ask for permission.

Weirdly why didnt you email them when you couldnt get a standard TV signal - they should have come and investigated.

Bermudashorts Aug 15th 2010 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by mark213 (Post 8779427)
Most landlords dont mind having it. Actually it adds value to the house for the next renters so its good for them. So long as its discretely placed and out the way, you shouldnt have trouble.

Just email and ask for permission.

Weirdly why didnt you email them when you couldnt get a standard TV signal - they should have come and investigated.

It's discrete from the outside but not the inside as it is on the side of the house. :)

They are not being very helpful with our questions, we don't know how to work the airconditioning and heating or alarm system and the front door is keypad and we don't even know how to lock it once we are inside! They just keep saying yeah we'll get you some instructions, but haven't. We just didn't think they would help us about the TV arial. :o

itigo Aug 15th 2010 11:00 pm

When we asked before we moved in here, they actually had a whole form for Foxtel installation permission to be signed by us and the agents.......we weren't even sure if they checked with the owners!

Wol Aug 16th 2010 12:46 am

If it's a done deal then just tell them that it's in: you can't take it with you so it adds value to the rental for them. Unless of course there's a strata rule that prevents them being erected.

Bermudashorts Aug 16th 2010 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 8779613)
If it's a done deal then just tell them that it's in: you can't take it with you so it adds value to the rental for them. Unless of course there's a strata rule that prevents them being erected.

What does "strata rule" mean? Never heard that expression before

expatasia Aug 16th 2010 12:54 am

Here the sat tv installers always ask if you have permission to go ahead with the installation - Foxtel assumed you were the owners of the house?

JoeBloggs80 Aug 16th 2010 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8779470)
It's discrete from the outside but not the inside as it is on the side of the house. :)

They are not being very helpful with our questions, we don't know how to work the airconditioning and heating or alarm system and the front door is keypad and we don't even know how to lock it once we are inside! They just keep saying yeah we'll get you some instructions, but haven't. We just didn't think they would help us about the TV arial. :o

They sound pretty useless. I wouldn't even bother telling them to be honest.

I've rented for years and technically broken tenancy agreements in loads of places with no comeback. You have to remember that its often a hassle for landlords to kick you out and get new tenants in.

So long as you're paying the rent on time and not totally destroying the place or performing satanic rituals or something in there, they're generally not too fussed.