Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I being selfish?

Am I being selfish?

Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future
Default Am I being selfish?

I have just come back from the vets. Although the vet comfirmed my cat to be healthy, the vet said that it would be very risky for my cat to travel to Australia because of his age. He is 15 years old. The receptionist then said in a polite way that I was being selfish!
Maybe I am being selfish but I truly think that this is what is best for my cat and what he would want.
Anone else taken elderly pets too?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:14 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Am I being selfish?

Originally Posted by canaveral
I have just come back from the vets. Although the vet comfirmed my cat to be healthy, the vet said that it would be very risky for my cat to travel to Australia because of his age. He is 15 years old. The receptionist then said in a polite way that I was being selfish!
Maybe I am being selfish but I truly think that this is what is best for my cat and what he would want.
Its not selfish its more that you have so much love for him that you don't want to emigrate without him! I know exactly how you feel!

I haven't owned a cat for years and 15 is a great age, but the vet may have a valid point. You have to think what is best for him firstly and foremost and only you can decide that.

I wanted to bring my horse who is 28, but vet said no way..too old! I had owned this horse for the past 27 years...we grew up together practically! I didn't want anything happening to him in transit etc so I rehomed him. Looking back, I am so glad I did because I would never have forgiven myself if anything did happen to him!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a BE poster John&Netta, who took their elderly male diabetic cat to Oz. He isnt as old as your boy, but he is peppered with health problems.

Initially they were going to rehome him as they had been advised not to take him and get him put to sleep.

I couldnt find a home for him either and even vets I spoke to said it might be best to put him down.

Anyway, they took Branston with them and Branston is enjoying his new life down under.

Your boy is 15 and otherwise healthy. Branston I think at the time was about 10(ish) and had in the past, bladder operation, he is insulin diabetic.

So it is swings and roundabouts.

Dont let anyone call you selfish. Only you know your own cat and if he is a fit and healthy 15 year old, then why not?

One vet I worked for, had this seasoned traveller cat of 17. He had travelled all over the world. A rather demanding boy who would only let you feed and clean him and only his owner cuddle him, he was very spoiled.

It can be done, just be sure of his health first. I am sure he wouldnt be the first senior pet to travel either.

People put their human emotions into animals, thinking the flight would be the most stressful thing you could EVER do, when in fact there are stressful situations your pet will go through in everyday life and they cope with it.

Its an idividual choice, your pets health should be taken into consideration and if he is healthy, then it is your decision and your decision only.

Good luck
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Welshie
Its not selfish its more that you have so much love for him that you don't want to emigrate without him! I know exactly how you feel!

I haven't owned a cat for years and 15 is a great age, but the vet may have a valid point. You have to think what is best for him firstly and foremost and only you can decide that.

I wanted to bring my horse who is 28, but vet said no way..too old! I had owned this horse for the past 27 years...we grew up together practically! I didn't want anything happening to him in transit etc so I rehomed him. Looking back, I am so glad I did because I would never have forgiven myself if anything did happen to him!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks Welshie, It must have been so hard for you to leave your horse, especialy after owning him for 27 years, such a decision to make.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
There is a BE poster John&Netta, who took their elderly male diabetic cat to Oz. He isnt as old as your boy, but he is peppered with health problems.

Initially they were going to rehome him as they had been advised not to take him and get him put to sleep.

I couldnt find a home for him either and even vets I spoke to said it might be best to put him down.

Anyway, they took Branston with them and Branston is enjoying his new life down under.

Your boy is 15 and otherwise healthy. Branston I think at the time was about 10(ish) and had in the past, bladder operation, he is insulin diabetic.

So it is swings and roundabouts.

Dont let anyone call you selfish. Only you know your own cat and if he is a fit and healthy 15 year old, then why not?

One vet I worked for, had this seasoned traveller cat of 17. He had travelled all over the world. A rather demanding boy who would only let you feed and clean him and only his owner cuddle him, he was very spoiled.

It can be done, just be sure of his health first. I am sure he wouldnt be the first senior pet to travel either.

People put their human emotions into animals, thinking the flight would be the most stressful thing you could EVER do, when in fact there are stressful situations your pet will go through in everyday life and they cope with it.

Its an idividual choice, your pets health should be taken into consideration and if he is healthy, then it is your decision and your decision only.

Good luck
Hi PP I feel I have to take him, at least give him a chance. Thanks!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:59 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally would not take him...we left ours with our friend, he would have hated it here far too hot...not fair to drag them half way round the world at that age
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:02 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I am taking my cat and she is 14 years ... she has also had a clean bill of health and I cannot see any reason why she shouldn't be absolutely fine ... but I have also felt torn at times wondering if I am doing the right thing.

I do feel however, that with it being alot harder to find a nice home for an old cat and that the stress involved in a new home anyway, it will only amount to the same stress with a flight .. so she's coming with us
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:03 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I personally would not take him...we left ours with our friend, he would have hated it here far too hot...not fair to drag them half way round the world at that age

Trouble is we only think it would be too hot for them.

Branston the cat I mentioned, would on paper, appeared not to have done well at all.

Everything was against him, his previous bladder problems and diabetes.

But he has adapted and thrived in the heat.

I think he will be hard if not impossible to rehome at this age. To destroy him when he is a healthy old man is cruel. They are looked after from the minute they leave the airport to the minute they go into quarantine.

As the OP says, he is worth a chance.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:06 am

Trouble is we only think it would be too hot for them.

Branston the cat I mentioned, would on paper, appeared not to have done well at all.

Everything was against him, his previous bladder problems and diabetes.

But he has adapted and thrived in the heat.

I think he will be hard if not impossible to rehome at this age. To destroy him when he is a healthy old man is cruel. They are looked after from the minute they leave the airport to the minute they go into quarantine.

As the OP says, he is worth a chance.

yup and thats up to the OP I did say In my opinion
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:07 am
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

My OH had 2 cats before we were married both very different and both lived till almost 18, I had a dog for 17 years, we've never had any pets since we married as we travel too much and thought it wouldn't be fair in kennels etc.. but we both know that if his cats were 15 and my dog was 15 we would of definately taken them with us. Your cat loves you as much as you love it and hopefully it can end its days happy healthy and with you. Good Luck in your decision. P.S. As soon as we settle in Oz we are getting 2 cats (although I'm a bit scared)
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:09 am

yup and thats up to the OP I did say In my opinion

I might eat mine to save on air fare

With my Gordon weighing in at 7kgs, he could feed a small family of five.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:09 am

I might eat mine to save on air fare

With my Gordon weighing in at 7kgs, he could feed a small family of five.
lol poor gordie
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:12 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
My OH had 2 cats before we were married both very different and both lived till almost 18, I had a dog for 17 years, we've never had any pets since we married as we travel too much and thought it wouldn't be fair in kennels etc.. but we both know that if his cats were 15 and my dog was 15 we would of definately taken them with us. Your cat loves you as much as you love it and hopefully it can end its days happy healthy and with you. Good Luck in your decision. P.S. As soon as we settle in Oz we are getting 2 cats (although I'm a bit scared)
I'll bet the cat couldn't give a monkeys about you - as long as someone feeds their horrible smug faces they are happy - they don't give a s*it who is doing it.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:13 am

lol poor gordie

Can you not just see him with an apple stuffed in his mouth?
Attached Images  
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:15 am

Can you not just see him with an apple stuffed in his mouth?

its the spit up the arse i canny deal with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.