Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I being realistic in thinking I can find somewhere to rent within one week?

Am I being realistic in thinking I can find somewhere to rent within one week?

Old May 21st 2007, 11:49 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Question Am I being realistic in thinking I can find somewhere to rent within one week?

We have exactly 7 days, in Melbourne, and need to find a one bedroomed unit/flat, on the tram line near to the CBD. Thinking of Kew, Brunswick, South Yarra, Tourak [sp], Camberwell and surrounding areas. The day before we leave, if I print off loads of propertys we have seen available on t'internet, and have contact numbers for estate agents, do you think its possible to meet them and arrrange viewing times etc pretty easily? We have a friend in Melbourne who is willing to give us a reference if needed.

Is there anything else we would need to take with us to quickly process the rental agreement? Hoping to rent from 1st July for 6-12 months. TIA
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Kiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Am I being realistic in thinking I can find somewhere to rent within one week?

Hi we found somewhere in a week but that was in Brisbane, I didnt think we were going to and we didnt find it until the Friday of the said week and I was panicking. We had to up our budget slightly but we did it thankfully. I cant comment on Melbourne I am afraid. Aswell as references you need to have certain points of ID - such as passport, visa, driving licence although UK ones dont always count, bankstatements, a bill (utility bill or credit card bill). Good luck I hope you manage it. It is tough but keep going the estate agents arent as helpful as at home (well in Brisbane anyway)
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:11 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I being realistic in thinking I can find somewhere to rent within one week?

Originally Posted by Kiangsu
Hi we found somewhere in a week but that was in Brisbane, I didnt think we were going to and we didnt find it until the Friday of the said week and I was panicking. We had to up our budget slightly but we did it thankfully. I cant comment on Melbourne I am afraid. Aswell as references you need to have certain points of ID - such as passport, visa, driving licence although UK ones dont always count, bankstatements, a bill (utility bill or credit card bill). Good luck I hope you manage it. It is tough but keep going the estate agents arent as helpful as at home (well in Brisbane anyway)
Thanks for your response kiangsu, good point on ID> I would not have thought about this so will remember to take the relevant docs with us. Thanks for this.
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:42 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
We have exactly 7 days, in Melbourne, and need to find a one bedroomed unit/flat, on the tram line near to the CBD. Thinking of Kew, Brunswick, South Yarra, Tourak [sp], Camberwell and surrounding areas. The day before we leave, if I print off loads of propertys we have seen available on t'internet, and have contact numbers for estate agents, do you think its possible to meet them and arrrange viewing times etc pretty easily? We have a friend in Melbourne who is willing to give us a reference if needed.

Is there anything else we would need to take with us to quickly process the rental agreement? Hoping to rent from 1st July for 6-12 months. TIA
Of course it is possible. It would just be VERY DIFFICULT.

The Melbourne rental market is one big dogfight. Estate agents not showing up, 20 or more other viewers turning up, sometime half of these people or more putting in applications on the place.

Get your CV's ready to put in with any application, any landlord references, & maybe part of a bank statement to show your ability to pay.

You may (or may not) decide to offer two months rent upfront or something like that. How desperate it is getting & how much you want a certain place will determine what lenghts you will go to.

These people:

http://www.run.com.au/

are our property managers. They actually suck (needed to go a bit "Scottish" on them to get repairs carried out)(and they took money out our account by accident, we got it back) BUT the viewing we went to for our flat had NO-ELSE THERE. This was partly because the viewing was on a Friday, but I also belive that they get less response to their ads (might not be true now).

As for South Yarra, well we stay there now & I can tell you I wouldn't equate it with someone who has Samuel Beckett for an avatar!

It's populated almost entirely by posers, tossers, shallow superficial single cell organisms who look like rejects from Flashdance.

Although it is very handy for public transport, and they have a big Borders store.

You should check out Fitzroy/Carlton. The North side is where we wished we had moved to, bit rougher round the edges but better pubs, better/cheaper restaurants & plenty live music.
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:51 am
C&R

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Of course it is possible. It would just be VERY DIFFICULT.

The Melbourne rental market is one big dogfight. Estate agents not showing up, 20 or more other viewers turning up, sometime half of these people or more putting in applications on the place.

Get your CV's ready to put in with any application, any landlord references, & maybe part of a bank statement to show your ability to pay.

You may (or may not) decide to offer two months rent upfront or something like that. How desperate it is getting & how much you want a certain place will determine what lenghts you will go to.

These people:

http://www.run.com.au/

are our property managers. They actually suck (needed to go a bit "Scottish" on them to get repairs carried out)(and they took money out our account by accident, we got it back) BUT the viewing we went to for our flat had NO-ELSE THERE. This was partly because the viewing was on a Friday, but I also belive that they get less response to their ads (might not be true now).

As for South Yarra, well we stay there now & I can tell you I wouldn't equate it with someone who has Samuel Beckett for an avatar!

It's populated almost entirely by posers, tossers, shallow superficial single cell organisms who look like rejects from Flashdance.

Although it is very handy for public transport, and they have a big Borders store.

You should check out Fitzroy/Carlton. The North side is where we wished we had moved to, bit rougher round the edges but better pubs, better/cheaper restaurants & plenty live music.
Great response.
Yes, I have heard the Melbourne rental market is dog eat dog right now, hence me posting this in the first place. I forgot about Carlton and Fitzroy - good recommendations. Thanks alot for your advice, will check out run.com.au
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:44 pm
C&R

Originally Posted by C&R
Great response.
Yes, I have heard the Melbourne rental market is dog eat dog right now, hence me posting this in the first place. I forgot about Carlton and Fitzroy - good recommendations. Thanks alot for your advice, will check out run.com.au
Anyone else want to share their experience renting in Melbourne?
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:50 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Just to say that Adelaide is just as bad on the rental situation.
Most people who succeed in a rental have good references and offer six months rent up front.
Lot of crap on the market at the moment as well.

Good luck
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:16 am
C&R

Originally Posted by tyke
Just to say that Adelaide is just as bad on the rental situation.
Most people who succeed in a rental have good references and offer six months rent up front.
Lot of crap on the market at the moment as well.

Good luck
Cheers, Have got references, bond and 6 months rent all lined up.
Did anyone use any property agents for Melbourne, and can provide contact details/website info like Mackinnon's run.com.au link?
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:56 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Cheers, Have got references, bond and 6 months rent all lined up.
Did anyone use any property agents for Melbourne, and can provide contact details/website info like Mackinnon's run.com.au link?
Me again

www.domain.com.au

www.realestate.com.au

EDIT: Britvics: http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/ might give you some pointers as well.

Last edited by mackinnon; May 23rd 2007 at 12:59 am.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:03 am
C&R

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Me again

www.domain.com.au

www.realestate.com.au

EDIT: Britvics: http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/ might give you some pointers as well.
Cheers!! Thanks again, you are a great help. Have found Britvics to be quite a slow site, I have very rarely got many responses there, if any. Mind you, saying that there is not much difference here. Am thinking of changing my username similar to someone who is seen as 'popular', maybe that will help ; )

No offence meant by this comment, but seriously, I'm starting to notice this trend more and more.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:04 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

try gumtree.com.au too

like loot in the uk

al
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R

Try and arrange a private viewing with the real estate agent. That way, if you like the property you can get the ball rolling there and then. We saw a property on a private viewing here in Perth at 9.00 in the morning, had our application in by 10.30 and got the nod by 12.30. "Open home viewings" are a pain due to the number of people attending and the practice of agents accepting multiple applications (someone is bound to lose out). We waited a week to be told someone else had got the place we wanted at a public viewing at the beginning of the year.

Good luck

Mark
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Cheers!! Thanks again, you are a great help. Have found Britvics to be quite a slow site, I have very rarely got many responses there, if any. Mind you, saying that there is not much difference here. Am thinking of changing my username similar to someone who is seen as 'popular', maybe that will help ; )

No offence meant by this comment, but seriously, I'm starting to notice this trend more and more.
Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:29 pm
C&R

Originally Posted by mbike
Try and arrange a private viewing with the real estate agent. That way, if you like the property you can get the ball rolling there and then. We saw a property on a private viewing here in Perth at 9.00 in the morning, had our application in by 10.30 and got the nod by 12.30. "Open home viewings" are a pain due to the number of people attending and the practice of agents accepting multiple applications (someone is bound to lose out). We waited a week to be told someone else had got the place we wanted at a public viewing at the beginning of the year.

Good luck

Mark
Thanks for the advice
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:33 pm
C&R

Originally Posted by mbike
Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!
ooooo k