Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Always on the move - Should we do Sydney with 2 children in tow!

Always on the move - Should we do Sydney with 2 children in tow!

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Red face Always on the move - Should we do Sydney with 2 children in tow!

Sounds like a silly question, but my husband has been offered work (IT) in Sydney and we're not sure whether to go or not. We lived in Australia in 2000 but in Melbourne. We loved Melbourne but did visit Sydney a lot as had friends there. I thought it was a great city if a bit on the loud and garish side at times. Now we've got kids but I'm desperate for city life again... should we do it? Our daughter is 4, our son 16 months so they're still little. We've moved around a lot with our little girl but she is getting used to school and is making more friends. But those bright city lights and the world's best surf are calling... husband's a keen surfer. The contract would be for a year but could be forever as the work there (at the RTA) is neverending... the money's not bad either so we could afford to live in Balmain or Neutral Bay areas. But if we decide to just do it for a year or 18 months.... would it be worth it? I think the experience would be great and I'm not quite ready to put my feet up and settle down... but would it be right for my little girl? Any other expats in a similar, transitory position?! Would love to hear advice, opinions but please no shouting!!
Ems x

Last edited by Emmis; Jan 3rd 2008 at 7:47 pm. Reason: missed out word!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:40 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default Re: Always on the move - Should we do Sydney with 2 children in tow!

I say go for it! You only live once, why not fill it with great memories.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely - I reckon you need to have your kids settled by HS but during their primary years, as long as their primary learning is covered then living in another country is a whole new experience and they, and you, should relish it. Just be sure that you dont just drift though because that way you can end up making decisions that you later regret and decide that that wasnt the way you thought your life would turn out. You are young enough to be grabbing all those chances with both hands. Dont burn any bridges in the process though!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:53 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

As an RAF brat we moved regularly yes I missed growing up with a band of mates i had known from primary school and never had cousins around BUT I had a great time living abroad and always managed to make friends so go for it!

We have been living in Edgecliff and are now moving out to Cronulla to get away from the city a bit.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:10 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're getting help with the relocation costs then it may be worth giving it a go, at least you already know the area and what to expect.

Plus: Your kids are young enough for it not to distrupt their education, the money's good, you've got an idea of where you'd like to live, chance to work abroad again and broaden CV.

Minus: Distance from family and friends, hard work going through moving over such a distance, getting re-established in the UK if you decide to go back.

How does it fit in with your own personal longer term work plans?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:13 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
Sounds like a silly question, but my husband has been offered work (IT) in Sydney and we're not sure whether to go or not. We lived in Australia in 2000 but in Melbourne. We loved Melbourne but did visit Sydney a lot as had friends there. I thought it was a great city if a bit on the loud and garish side at times. Now we've got kids but I'm desperate for city life again... should we do it? Our daughter is 4, our son 16 months so they're still little. We've moved around a lot with our little girl but she is getting used to school and is making more friends. But those bright city lights and the world's best surf are calling... husband's a keen surfer. The contract would be for a year but could be forever as the work there (at the RTA) is neverending... the money's not bad either so we could afford to live in Balmain or Neutral Bay areas. But if we decide to just do it for a year or 18 months.... would it be worth it? I think the experience would be great and I'm not quite ready to put my feet up and settle down... but would it be right for my little girl? Any other expats in a similar, transitory position?! Would love to hear advice, opinions but please no shouting!!
Ems x
Friend of mine's in a similar position - couple of young kids - contract with a large inusrance company. He lives in Mosman and loves it - because with the wages he's on, he can get the most out of the city.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
As an RAF brat we moved regularly yes I missed growing up with a band of mates i had known from primary school and never had cousins around BUT I had a great time living abroad and always managed to make friends so go for it!

We have been living in Edgecliff and are now moving out to Cronulla to get away from the city a bit.
Yep RAF brat too, think that is why I settle so well. I had 4 primary schools and 3 high schools and it didn't do me any harm.

To the OP, go for it while the kids are small, life to short and all that.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

I'm very similar to you in that I had lived abroad pre-children, love city life and tend to move around a fair bit.

We emigrated to NZ with pre-school children and are now considering a move to Melbourne. The children absolutely loved travelling and it amazed me how quickly they forgot the UK (not their family I might add) and adapted to their new life. You tend to do so much more when you arrive in a new country and they get the benefit of that enthusiasm.

However, a couple of notes of caution. Firstly you won't be able to do as much as you did when living abroad previously, as you'll have to fit round nap times etc (the children's not yours! ). Also cities are just not as child friendly and sightseeing with a buggy isn't as fun. It can be difficult to find a child friendly restaurant and after a while you find it easier to stick to your local suburb rather than taking full advantage of the city life.

Secondly, you will probably miss lack of childcare support. We found it hardest when illness hit the whole family (as it often does when you first arrive in a new country with new bugs), but the OH still had to go to work and I had to look after 2 sick children, while being sick. Even if you've made friends you can't ask them to help as they usually have children themselves.

So in short, you can still do it all it just takes a bit longer, once the kids hit 5 or 6 it all becomes a lot easier. They are more 'portable' and go to school so you get some grown up time.

I honestly think its one of the best things we ever did for the kids but it certainly has been knackering!

WithIce x
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Smile Re: Always on the move - Should we do Sydney with 2 children in tow!

Wow. I can't believe how many replies... I've only just woken up! I think my husband and I kind of knew the answer and just needed confirmation. Your replies have really helped. I think if we don't do it we'll probably regret it. Our long term plans... well, we think we'll probably end up moving back to Amsterdam where we lived for 2 years with our daughter. It's not the world's most exciting city and the weather is awful but the work for my OH is great. Of course if we do love Sydney we'll stay! I've always lived in cities with my little girl and now, living in the depths of the Tuscan countryside, I'm so missing it. It sounds ideal living in a farmhouse next to a old villa but the reality of day to day life isn't great with 2 kids. Nothing to do. No parks. No cafes. Can't meet OH for lunch. And I live in the car as the countryside doesn't do pavements!!! Can I just say a huge thank you for all your replies. We've worked out our little girl will be 6 if we decide to leave Sydney after 18 months... hopefully she won't feel the changes too much . She's adapted very well up to now... let's hope it continues.