Reload this Page >

Always been self employed!

Always been self employed!

Old Mar 6th 2005, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

tilerthom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Always been self employed!

Hi people,
I've always been self employed (one man band ) so reading through the TAS i'm already concerned because;

a) i have no formal qualifications ( but do have 20yrs experience ),
b) because i work for residensial customers i have very few payslips ( only invoices / receipts ),
c) i seem to need written letters from former employers stating what my duties were, what tools i used etc, but problem is that I'M SELF EMPLOYED and almost always have been.
Is anyone in a similar situation with any info they can help with? We are about to take first steps in employing an agent, but want to spend money only if we think we have a realistic chance.
Thanks in anticipation .
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

alinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to allalinora9 is a name known to all
Default Re: Always been self employed!

Originally Posted by tilerthom
Hi people,
I've always been self employed (one man band ) so reading through the TAS i'm already concerned because;

b) because i work for residensial customers i have very few payslips ( only invoices / receipts ),
c) i seem to need written letters from former employers stating what my duties were, what tools i used etc, but problem is that I'M SELF EMPLOYED and almost always have been.
Is anyone in a similar situation with any info they can help with? We are about to take first steps in employing an agent, but want to spend money only if we think we have a realistic chance.
Thanks in anticipation .
Hi Don,t know if this of any help i am just starting the process of the TRA for hairdressing. I have been self employed for at least 7 years and was employed before that. I know you need references for everything but with your 20 years experience that is a big plus you need to provide any thing that proves you have been doing your job.References from your clients accountant wholesalers employers where possible copys of your diarys and anything you can,t prove do a statutory declaration saying that you worked ie. for someone who want give you a reference.We have employed an agent just for peace of mind but it is quite expenses depends how confident you feel, you can do assements and they give you a rough idea if you will get in.
Good luck ours goes next week hopefully i have done enough( it is not as bad as getting a mortgage being selfemployed)
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Paul the spark is on a distinguished road

Hi people,

Thanks in anticipation .

Have you always done work for private clients or have you worked for anyone on a sub contractor basis. We collected reference from the latter because we have subbied to a few companies. I'm sure though you could get a few references from private individuals who were happy with you work and say what you do to carry out your daily tasks in the stat dec.

We are in Manchester area and are using AMA website www.australiamigrate.co.uk been great to date although only just submitted TRA application. They will discuss eligibility over phone without obligation. Also seen Go Matilda mentioned on sites but no personal experience.

Hope this helps.

Jo
Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi people,

Thanks in anticipation .
Hi

Hubby is pretty much in the same position as yourself (15+ self employed, 10 years as a partnership and 5 years sole trader). He is very meticulous with paperwork and keeps all diaries, etc and he has always had an accountant so that should work in our favour. We are yet to start on the visa trail though, hopefully at the end of March

Good luck on your new life journey and keep us posted on your progress as I will with ours

Kari
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:35 am
Just Joined

draconigena is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my husband is also self employed (one man band). For skills assessment (and main app) he had to provide copies of invoices issued, invoices from suppliers, refs from clients (his are also mainly residential), stating what kind of work he carries out and how much they had spent with him over a certain period of time, refs from suppliers stating what kind of goods/materials they had supplied to him and how much he had spent with them over a certain period of time, 18 months I think,(I think at least 3 of each refs). He also sent a letter from his accountant stating how long he had been SE and what kind of work he did and a statutory declaration which had to state how long he had been SE, the type of work he did on a day to day basis (in exact detail) and which tools he used (every single tool had to be listed, even things like tape measures!). He also included in his list of duties the paperwork (accounts, quotes, etc).
The application form for the skills assessment should list everything you need to include (pretty much your life story!). We have also just been asked by DIMIA to send copies of business bank statements and copies from phone directory or business listing as proof he was trading for the 18 months prior to the app being lodged.
We got positive assessment and are now just waiting for the visas to be approved (hopefully!).
The skills assessment is the hardest part (paperwork wise). After doing that the main app was a doddle!
As regards to using an agent, we didn't, but if you are unsure of your chances it can give you piece of mind. They can give you a good idea as to how successful you will be and how best to present your app, some will do this before taking money from you.
As mentioned before Go Matilda have an excellent reputation on here.

Hope this helps
Tracy