Reload this Page >

Altona/point cook/Sanctuary lakes - Melbourne

Altona/point cook/Sanctuary lakes - Melbourne

Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Altona/point cook/Sanctuary lakes - Melbourne

Hi, thanks for all your help so far - this forum is FAB
We will be arriving around Easter time on a 457 2 year contract in Westmeadows Melbourne. We have 2 boys aged 5 and 10. We have been looking at the Altona/Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes area and I was wondering wether anyone had an opinion on them and also about the schools in the area.
Thanks, Sonia
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:27 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Altona/point cook/Sanctuary lakes - Melbourne

Originally Posted by snurse42
Hi, thanks for all your help so far - this forum is FAB
We will be arriving around Easter time on a 457 2 year contract in Westmeadows Melbourne. We have 2 boys aged 5 and 10. We have been looking at the Altona/Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes area and I was wondering wether anyone had an opinion on them and also about the schools in the area.
Thanks, Sonia
There's a really interesting pull out in this morning's Age on Melbourne's West. It might be on their website if you're interested. There's been quite a lot of discussion on here about the areas you're interested in recently, certainly seem to be becoming more and more popular
Old Feb 6th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by herrchook
There's a really interesting pull out in this morning's Age on Melbourne's West. It might be on their website if you're interested. There's been quite a lot of discussion on here about the areas you're interested in recently, certainly seem to be becoming more and more popular
thanks I will have a look
Old Feb 7th 2010, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Just be aware that there are no internet providers covering the point cook area - the only alternative is a wireless dongle $60/Mth for 6Gb
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rossi
Just be aware that there are no internet providers covering the point cook area - the only alternative is a wireless dongle $60/Mth for 6Gb
thanks - that is something I need to bear in mind
Old Feb 7th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Point Cook is becoming very popular, due to cheaper house prices. As others have said unfortunately internet is hit and miss. For schools and a list of the estates in the area, take a peak here: http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...kes_suburb.htm

Good luck
Kate
Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
Point Cook is becoming very popular, due to cheaper house prices. As others have said unfortunately internet is hit and miss. For schools and a list of the estates in the area, take a peak here: http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...kes_suburb.htm

Good luck
Kate
Thanks Kate
I have just had a quick look and there is loads of good info on there.
Sonia
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rossi
We had no problem getting Telstra broadboad ADSL when we moved to Point Cook recently. We lived in Altona for 18 months, liked it, but decided we got more for our money in Point Cook and have moved here. Definately worth having a look at. Phase 2 of the town centre opened just before christmas, and its all looking good. We don't have kids, but there seem to be plenty of new schools in Point Cook.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dolly
We had no problem getting Telstra broadboad ADSL when we moved to Point Cook recently. We lived in Altona for 18 months, liked it, but decided we got more for our money in Point Cook and have moved here. Definately worth having a look at. Phase 2 of the town centre opened just before christmas, and its all looking good. We don't have kids, but there seem to be plenty of new schools in Point Cook.
thanks
I can't believe how much we have to do in such a short space of time now
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Have lived in Sanctuary Lakes and currently in Altona; however I will be moving to Caroline Springs in a few weeks.

In SL, we had no problem getting ADSL from Telstra, and I have work colleagues in Point Cook, all of whom have Broadband. I think the main problem is focussed around the latest builds, but I am sure someone will come along and clarify.

For schools have look at the Myschool website, I sure it confirms the experiences of a number of people that suggests Carranballac is not so hot, and Seabrook is better (Seabrook is P-6 I think) Not sure on the Catholic schools. An awful lot of kids catch buses to other locations for schooling........

Altona is a very different area, much more established. Can't comment on schools as although we looked at the schools her for our daughter, we have chosen elsewhere.

Good luck.

My Top Tip......take your time in picking a school, a few extra weeks out of school will not harm your children, and is much better than having to move them again in 6 months.

Peter
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Hi,

Have lived in Sanctuary Lakes and currently in Altona; however I will be moving to Caroline Springs in a few weeks.

In SL, we had no problem getting ADSL from Telstra, and I have work colleagues in Point Cook, all of whom have Broadband. I think the main problem is focussed around the latest builds, but I am sure someone will come along and clarify.

For schools have look at the Myschool website, I sure it confirms the experiences of a number of people that suggests Carranballac is not so hot, and Seabrook is better (Seabrook is P-6 I think) Not sure on the Catholic schools. An awful lot of kids catch buses to other locations for schooling........

Altona is a very different area, much more established. Can't comment on schools as although we looked at the schools her for our daughter, we have chosen elsewhere.

Good luck.

My Top Tip......take your time in picking a school, a few extra weeks out of school will not harm your children, and is much better than having to move them again in 6 months.

Peter
Thanks Peter I really appreciate your time in responding to this.
I was under the impression that the children had to be in the catchment of the school we chose, is that the case or is it a bit more flexible?
Sonia
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snurse42
Thanks Peter I really appreciate your time in responding to this.
I was under the impression that the children had to be in the catchment of the school we chose, is that the case or is it a bit more flexible?
Sonia
The more popular schools (ie the better ones) tend to be zoned, and insist you live in the catchment area. I know a couple of schools in Williamstown are zoned, not sure if any are in Point Cook area. Generally, it is your choice, so if you live in SL and want to go to a school in Werribee, thats ok.

Peter
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

manx2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
The more popular schools (ie the better ones) tend to be zoned, and insist you live in the catchment area. I know a couple of schools in Williamstown are zoned, not sure if any are in Point Cook area. Generally, it is your choice, so if you live in SL and want to go to a school in Werribee, thats ok.

Peter
I am looking at schools in this sort of areas and i would like advice on "good schools".Which primary schools are popular and which one would one advice to stay clear. My son is 7 years old.I have read a lot but its hard to tell tell which schools are good and which arent without the equivalent of league tables.
will appreciate help please.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:42 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

The Secondary School at Werribee is reported to be excellent & is the only state school in Melbourne currently offering the International Baccalaureate...for those unsure of the advantage of this, a good IB score will be accepted by Universities back in the UK, should there ever be reason for the child to return tot he UK
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

manx2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenniGee
The Secondary School at Werribee is reported to be excellent & is the only state school in Melbourne currently offering the International Baccalaureate...for those unsure of the advantage of this, a good IB score will be accepted by Universities back in the UK, should there ever be reason for the child to return tot he UK
Hi JenniGee and thanx.but what about primary schools?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.