Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Altona Meadows, Melbourne

Altona Meadows, Melbourne

Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:07 pm
Ben and Dede

bredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud of
Default Altona Meadows, Melbourne

Hi

We're emigrating to Australia on 11th Jan and are planning to move to Altona Meadows. It seems pretty affordable and not too far away from the city. I have a relative who lives in Altona, hense the location. Does anybody live or know anyone who lives in Altona Meadows? If so, we would really welcome your comments about the area. Also, are there many baby/toddler groups in this suburb?

Many thanks.

Ben and Deeds

Last edited by bredennis; Nov 27th 2006 at 11:08 pm. Reason: Bad speller!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:40 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Altona Meadows, Melbourne

Originally Posted by bredennis
Hi

We're emigrating to Australia on 11th Jan and are planning to move to Altona Meadows. It seems pretty affordable and not too far away from the city. I have a relative who lives in Altona, hense the location. Does anybody live or know anyone who lives in Altona Meadows? If so, we would really welcome your comments about the area. Also, are there many baby/toddler groups in this suburb?

Many thanks.

Ben and Deeds
Hi folks, check out Fraser, he lives in nearby Point Cook. Altona beach is ok, and Williamstown is not too far away and that is great but pricey. Altona Meadows is a developing area so doesn't have much of its own character yet. In 10 years time who knows what it will be like, perhaps amazing, perhaps rough. OzTennis is another member to ask about this area as he knows a lot about the Western suburbs, his family live there, although he is currently living in Scotland

I would think that with family living close by and the affordability of the area you are making a wise decision, although I'd advise against buying before arriving and checking it out for yourself. Rent short term for a while and then commit when you know it is the place for you. If it isn't the place for you, then you haven't committed too much and can see the period as a settling in time.

Good luck with the move and maybe meet up when you're here. Oh, by the way, Pomster is another person to talk to as she lives in nearby Newport although she may have baby duties to attend to verrrry soon.....you could start a Western burb's toddler's group together

Take it easy

Carl
Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Shakmaty is right, we live in the >whisper< Western burbs...not trendy i'm afraid.

I like this side of the city and housing is much more affordable. I confess I am not a big fan of the newly created housing estates like Point Cook and Altona Meadows, but lots of people love them and you get a lot of house for your money.
A mate at work has a rental property and a house she lives in based in AM and loves the place.

Once the infrastructure improves, it will have a bit more heart, although the nearest train station is always going to be a good couple of kms away (Laverton probably). Driving from the West is a pain if you have to travel to city/east in rush hour, but if you can avoid this, the west has lots of advantages.

Shakmaty's suggestion of rent for a while is a good one- we moved 3 rentals times before we found an area we liked AND could afford!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Hi folks, check out Fraser, he lives in nearby Point Cook. Altona beach is ok, and Williamstown is not too far away and that is great but pricey. Altona Meadows is a developing area so doesn't have much of its own character yet. In 10 years time who knows what it will be like, perhaps amazing, perhaps rough. OzTennis is another member to ask about this area as he knows a lot about the Western suburbs, his family live there, although he is currently living in Scotland

I would think that with family living close by and the affordability of the area you are making a wise decision, although I'd advise against buying before arriving and checking it out for yourself. Rent short term for a while and then commit when you know it is the place for you. If it isn't the place for you, then you haven't committed too much and can see the period as a settling in time.

Good luck with the move and maybe meet up when you're here. Oh, by the way, Pomster is another person to talk to as she lives in nearby Newport although she may have baby duties to attend to verrrry soon.....you could start a Western burb's toddler's group together

Take it easy

Carl
Ears burning! Carl and Pomster have summed it up well. Newish area, excellent value for money property wise, not too far from Altona beach, excellent shopping centre at Altona Meadows, not too far from another shopping centre near the entrance to Sanctuary Lakes and I believe there is a street with 60 or 70 shops planned for Point Cook. There is a station at Westona and Laverton but the former not walking distance from any part of AM's; the latter walkable from the western side of AM's. Very close to the freeway so quite easy and quick access to the city.

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:39 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Ears burning! Carl and Pomster have summed it up well. Newish area, excellent value for money property wise, not too far from Altona beach, excellent shopping centre at Altona Meadows, not too far from another shopping centre near the entrance to Sanctuary Lakes and I believe there is a street with 60 or 70 shops planned for Point Cook. There is a station at Westona and Laverton but the former not walking distance from any part of AM's; the latter walkable from the western side of AM's. Very close to the freeway so quite easy and quick access to the city.

OzTennis
Haha, there you are....but when are you back in OZ next? I've still never met up with you
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, there you are....but when are you back in OZ next? I've still never met up with you
I've PM'd you.

OzTennis
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

rcladin will become famous soon enough

altona meadows seems okay to me and cheap enough alright, there is the central square shopping centre, pretty basic, you get what you pay for,

the is a waste water treatment plant nearby, between altona/altona meadows and the location can be right stinky sometimes, be careful depends on wind direction i suppose. something to keep an eye out for
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

He's never met me and he's only about 20 mile away, i believe
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:15 pm
Ben and Dede

bredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud ofbredennis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rcladin
altona meadows seems okay to me and cheap enough alright, there is the central square shopping centre, pretty basic, you get what you pay for,

the is a waste water treatment plant nearby, between altona/altona meadows and the location can be right stinky sometimes, be careful depends on wind direction i suppose. something to keep an eye out for
Is the whole of Altona Meadows stinky in certain wind directions or just near the water works? May not be the "fresh" start we were planning!

Ben
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:35 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I've PM'd you.

OzTennis

Ohhhh are you coming to Bendigo???

PM me too!!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Sanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant futureSanny1 has a brilliant future

We are in Caroline Springs, arrived on 19th September from Glasgow. Further North and West than Altona Meadows. CS very nice but a bit like the Trueman show neat houses some are even painted yellow. Not sure if we will buy here just renting until May. Quite expensive, hence the short term rental.
Keep in touch and we can meet up when you arrive if you like.
Sandra
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:49 pm
Ben and Dede

Originally Posted by Sanny1
We are in Caroline Springs, arrived on 19th September from Glasgow. Further North and West than Altona Meadows. CS very nice but a bit like the Trueman show neat houses some are even painted yellow. Not sure if we will buy here just renting until May. Quite expensive, hence the short term rental.
Keep in touch and we can meet up when you arrive if you like.
Sandra
That would be good. How easy did you find it to get a short term rental? We're arriving in Melbourne mid Jan - not sure how easily we'll have access to the internet though. Hopefully a good coffee shop near by???

Ben