Already in NZ?

Old Aug 27th 2002, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Already in NZ?

Hi to all thjat have made it there,
can you help me with a general question. I've been able to look at a lot pr property websites and there are indeed a lot pf properties to rent. How do landlords feel about pets?? I've noticed not many will allow then (well only one so far). Are they generally unwelcome or do you need to talk nicely to them???
Also can someone tell me if the real estate market works the same as the UK one ie put in an offer, get local searches (or equiv) exchange and complete contracts? Roughly how long does it take there?
Just trying to plan what I'm gonna do as I expect sleeping on the beach is probably frowned on!

Thanks,Pat.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:16 pm
Emmy & Phil

Default Re: Already in NZ?

You seem to be ok with cats as long as the property is unfurnished. They dont seem to
be to keen on dogs. (i dont have one so i could be wrong). As for buying a house all
i know is it takes a very short time, i have heard it can be as short as three
weeks!!! Sorry i cant be of any more help.

Emily

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi to all thjat have made it there, can you help me with a general question. I've
    > been able to look at a lot pr property websites and there are indeed a lot pf
    > properties to rent. How do landlords feel about pets?? I've noticed not many will
    > allow then (well only one so far). Are they generally unwelcome or do you need to
    > talk nicely to them??? Also can someone tell me if the real estate market works the
    > same as the UK one ie put in an offer, get local searches (or equiv) exchange and
    > complete contracts? Roughly how long does it take there? Just trying to plan what
    > I'm gonna do as I expect sleeping on the beach is probably frowned on!
    > Thanks,Pat.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 28th 2002, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Emily, it's a good starting point and I did have that feeling that there might well be problems.
Pat.

Originally posted by Emmy & Phil:
You seem to be ok with cats as long as the property is unfurnished. They dont seem to
be to keen on dogs. (i dont have one so i could be wrong). As for buying a house all
i know is it takes a very short time, i have heard it can be as short as three
weeks!!! Sorry i cant be of any more help.

Emily

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi to all thjat have made it there, can you help me with a general question. I've
    > been able to look at a lot pr property websites and there are indeed a lot pf
    > properties to rent. How do landlords feel about pets?? I've noticed not many will
    > allow then (well only one so far). Are they generally unwelcome or do you need to
    > talk nicely to them??? Also can someone tell me if the real estate market works the
    > same as the UK one ie put in an offer, get local searches (or equiv) exchange and
    > complete contracts? Roughly how long does it take there? Just trying to plan what
    > I'm gonna do as I expect sleeping on the beach is probably frowned on!
    > Thanks,Pat.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:15 am
Ian Guy

Depends on the landlord and the area.

Real estate - different! Very different - you place your offer with the agent; if
accepted it becomes a contract which is legally binding - not easy to get out of.
Kiwi's tend to sell, rent and then buy again - you don't get chains that collapse. If
you are waiting (e.g. for a container to arrive) then you can give them a date when
to move. As Emily says you can push people out in as little as 3 weeks; however
practically it may suit for you to delay (especially if you can get a cheap rental
AND have cash stashed in a high interest account till you move in). On offers for
house there are two types - conditional, this means that you offer to buy a house,
say for $200K, subject to reports, it could also be on the condition that something
else will happen (e.g. selling your house) - these will have a date when the offer
becomes null and void. Alternatively if your offer is unconditional then this is more
enticing for a vendor, as it means you are ready to roll. You will need a certificate
to confirm your borrowing ability (or funds - more later)

The reports - a LIM report; this is done by the council (I think) - you need a
building permission/permit for everything - if a new window has been put in without
a permit you could be in trouble. Builders reports (on structural stuff) are NOT
necessary for a mortgage, but could be worth it for piece of mind. There have been
big probs with dampness in homes from the 80's. If your house is on tank water or a
septic tank, you might need these checking. Electrical safety is another you may
want to buy.

Mortgages - are traditionally only 80% of purchase price, but ASB, National and a
couple of others will give 95% - yu will be penalised with an indemnity. Endowment
style mortgages don't exist. It is cheaper if you opt for weekly payments. Interest
rates are slightly higher than the UK and fixed rates usually incur a charge (it is
worth calculating the cost of the charge -v- what you expect to save, as they are
often similar)

Solicitors - you'll need one to handle your purchase, expect to pay around $500 -
they usually through in a free will; also ask for a power of attourney (this allows
your partner to be a signatory on any things that are of a legal nature if the other
is otherwise unavailable, e.g. if someone was in the UK, and the other needed to sell
shares or the house!)

You can get cheap out of season holiday rentals (which are furnished) as most rented
stuff has nowt (they do usually have a cooker but little else). If there is anything
else you need to know mail me.

"Emmy & Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You seem to be ok with cats as long as the property is unfurnished. They dont seem
    > to be to keen on dogs. (i dont have one so i could be wrong). As for buying a house
    > all i know is it takes a very short time, i have heard
it
    > can be as short as three weeks!!! Sorry i cant be of any more help.
    > Emily
    > "Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Hi to all thjat have made it there, can you help me with a general question. I've
    > > been able to look at a lot pr property websites and there are indeed a lot pf
    > > properties to rent. How do landlords feel about pets?? I've noticed not many will
    > > allow then (well only one so far). Are they generally unwelcome or do you need to
    > > talk nicely to them??? Also can someone tell me if the real estate market works
    > > the same as the UK one ie put in an offer, get local searches (or equiv) exchange
    > > and complete contracts? Roughly how long does it take there? Just trying to plan
    > > what I'm gonna do as I expect sleeping on the beach is probably frowned on!
    > >
    > > Thanks,Pat.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Old Aug 28th 2002, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian, you're a complete star - thanks so much this is just what I needed!
All I will need to do is find a short term rental in C/Church that will take two dopey spaniels and we'll be set for Uni in Feb (seems like such a small this....).
Best Wishes,Pat.

Originally posted by Ian Guy:
Depends on the landlord and the area.

Real estate - different! Very different - you place your offer with the agent; if
accepted it becomes a contract which is legally binding - not easy to get out of.
Kiwi's tend to sell, rent and then buy again - you don't get chains that collapse. If
you are waiting (e.g. for a container to arrive) then you can give them a date when
to move. As Emily says you can push people out in as little as 3 weeks; however
practically it may suit for you to delay (especially if you can get a cheap rental
AND have cash stashed in a high interest account till you move in). On offers for
house there are two types - conditional, this means that you offer to buy a house,
say for $200K, subject to reports, it could also be on the condition that something
else will happen (e.g. selling your house) - these will have a date when the offer
becomes null and void. Alternatively if your offer is unconditional then this is more
enticing for a vendor, as it means you are ready to roll. You will need a certificate
to confirm your borrowing ability (or funds - more later)

The reports - a LIM report; this is done by the council (I think) - you need a
building permission/permit for everything - if a new window has been put in without
a permit you could be in trouble. Builders reports (on structural stuff) are NOT
necessary for a mortgage, but could be worth it for piece of mind. There have been
big probs with dampness in homes from the 80's. If your house is on tank water or a
septic tank, you might need these checking. Electrical safety is another you may
want to buy.

Mortgages - are traditionally only 80% of purchase price, but ASB, National and a
couple of others will give 95% - yu will be penalised with an indemnity. Endowment
style mortgages don't exist. It is cheaper if you opt for weekly payments. Interest
rates are slightly higher than the UK and fixed rates usually incur a charge (it is
worth calculating the cost of the charge -v- what you expect to save, as they are
often similar)

Solicitors - you'll need one to handle your purchase, expect to pay around $500 -
they usually through in a free will; also ask for a power of attourney (this allows
your partner to be a signatory on any things that are of a legal nature if the other
is otherwise unavailable, e.g. if someone was in the UK, and the other needed to sell
shares or the house!)

You can get cheap out of season holiday rentals (which are furnished) as most rented
stuff has nowt (they do usually have a cooker but little else). If there is anything
else you need to know mail me.

"Emmy & Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You seem to be ok with cats as long as the property is unfurnished. They dont seem
    > to be to keen on dogs. (i dont have one so i could be wrong). As for buying a house
    > all i know is it takes a very short time, i have heard
it
    > can be as short as three weeks!!! Sorry i cant be of any more help.
    > Emily
    > "Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Hi to all thjat have made it there, can you help me with a general question. I've
    > > been able to look at a lot pr property websites and there are indeed a lot pf
    > > properties to rent. How do landlords feel about pets?? I've noticed not many will
    > > allow then (well only one so far). Are they generally unwelcome or do you need to
    > > talk nicely to them??? Also can someone tell me if the real estate market works
    > > the same as the UK one ie put in an offer, get local searches (or equiv) exchange
    > > and complete contracts? Roughly how long does it take there? Just trying to plan
    > > what I'm gonna do as I expect sleeping on the beach is probably frowned on!
    > >
    > > Thanks,Pat.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >