Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Along the coast - North of Sydney ???

Along the coast - North of Sydney ???

Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Along the coast - North of Sydney ???

Hi everyone

Myself and the OH are heading over to OZ on a reccie trip at end of April

We are limited on time (only 10 days ) and are focussing on the NSW coast between Newcastle and say Byron Bay.

Looking for smallish town, laid back, good beaches for kayaking, swimming etc., decent primary/secondary schools (kids aged 11, 9, 5) . Currently keen to check out Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour - just wondering if anyone can recommended other areas you think may be worth us checking out...

I am a midwife and hubby is a tiler .......... so will need to also check out hospitals en route for potential work ......

Thanks in advance for any input for our whistlestop itinerary !!!!

Lou x
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Re: Along the coast - North of Sydney ???

Hi all - Just bumping the post - ideas and inspiration much needed ....

Any input on any of the following areas.......

Newcastle , Port Stephens or Bellingen ??????

Many thanks

Lou xx
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:42 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louloumama
Hi all - Just bumping the post - ideas and inspiration much needed ....

Any input on any of the following areas.......

Newcastle , Port Stephens or Bellingen ??????

Many thanks

Lou xx
Port Stephens is fab... go play on the dunes of Stockton Beach...

Bellingen is very beautiful and if I was looking to move to that area it would be one of the top choices...

Drove last weekend from GC back to Sydney... Stopped in Port Macquarie for the night... have stopped in Coffs several times before... Personally I don't rate either of them, but it's not like I've stayed a month or anything...
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Hi everyone

We are limited on time (only 10 days ) and are focussing on the NSW coast between Newcastle and say Byron Bay.

Looking for smallish town, laid back, good beaches for kayaking, swimming etc., decent primary/secondary schools (kids aged 11, 9, 5) . Currently keen to check out Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour - just wondering if anyone can recommended other areas you think may be worth us checking out...

I am a midwife and hubby is a tiler .......... so will need to also check out hospitals en route for potential work ......

Lou x
If you are looking for really laid back, driving distance to Byron then stop at Brunswick Heads. Loved it so much I stayed for 3 months..... I am a nurse and know there is a localish hospital but can't recall where exactly. Nice area though if you like your peace and quiet and have no problem with hippys
As for Port Macquarie I hated it..... and finally don't stop at Taree whatever you do!! I had the worst overnight stop there - scarred for life A German camper washing his "bits" in the communal kitchen sink.... a whole load of permenantly resident campers having a huge domestic until 3am.... and a swearing cockatoo meeting the car on arrival at the campsite "You fu***** buggar" (I kid you not). Hell on earth.

Last edited by Bubsblooms; Mar 1st 2009 at 10:58 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Snap-On is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Lou x
Hi there,
I have lived in Port Stephens for almost 2 years now, and i love it here. There are some great beaches for surfing and kayaking. And some lovely bays to just chill out on a Sunday afternoon. There's an education centre here in Salamander which has a primary school, high school & TAFE all on one site. Sounds scary, but it'[s not...the have staggered starting and leaving school times. Maitland & John Hunter hospitals around 20 mins away. Lovely shopping centre in Salamander and another in Raymond Terrace...and the huge 'Westfield' shopping centre in Kotara.
All in all, Port Stephens is a great place to live.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

g`day
we where lucky enough to spend 3 months exploring that stretch of coast after living in sydney.
we eventually settled half hour north of byron as partner is a nurse and works at tweed heads on the border only half hour to the north.
good thing about north nsw is your not far from everything you need on the goldcoast and brisbane international airport is only 2 hours away, yet it still has that rural laid back charm to it, brunswick heads, ocean shores, murwillumbah, pottsville, cabarita and kingscliff are worth a visit north of byron.
our favorite spots between byron and newcastle where Forster just couple hours north of newcastle, lauriton just south of port macquarie had some amazing coastal national parks, Bellingen was lovely but a bit too far from the beach for us, Sawtel was nice, great beach just south of coffs and yamba near maclean.
the towns of taree, kempsey and grafton are nothing special but are close to some amazing coastal spots like cresent head, point plomer and minnie waters.
and check the house prices out around these towns ever fancied 150acres half hour from town or coast for the same price of a 2 bed townhouse in the state capitals.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Big thank you all for your input, certainly sounds like a super coast line I will def add your suggested places to my itinerary ..............

Lou x