All you smokers

Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All you smokers

Cough splutter - yes I know it'll kill me and it's anti social - I have to have one bad habit!

I pay about $75 dollars for 200 B&H from the local tobacconist - is that normal around Oz?

Why are cigs so much more expensive in Oz than NZ - I just got 600 cigs given to me from family who came from NZ and they cost $105 all in!

Steve
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Muddywaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: All you smokers

Originally posted by cookies
Cough splutter - yes I know it'll kill me and it's anti social - I have to have one bad habit!

I pay about $75 dollars for 200 B&H from the local tobacconist - is that normal around Oz?

Why are cigs so much more expensive in Oz than NZ - I just got 600 cigs given to me from family who came from NZ and they cost $105 all in!

Steve

for that kind of money you can buy some weed and its grown in oz ,its not taxed and is in as much plentyfull supply but the only down side is its illegal of course
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was in Perth last year I found B & H really expensive so I smoked Peter jackson (I think thats what they were called) Very similar to B 7 H and mayfair, but a bit cheaper.
I am now please to say that after 25 years of puffing away 30 fags a day, I have packed up.
put on almost 2 stone, but still not touched a fag, and boy have I had some seriuous climb the wall cravings!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i got my med forms through yesterday. They asked if you smoke and how many a day. What i want to know is, do they do tests to see if you are a smoker and how can they tell??
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Sandra,

I gave up 20 months ago. Best thing I ever did. FWIW, I'm 45, smoked 30 years, 30+ per day. Don't miss it a bit. Stick with it.

Mike.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Podgy,

We both smoked when we had our medicals and had no problem.

Mike.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

not had a fag since 9 March 1997. just noticed what they cost, jesus-how much, reckon ive saved £14600 since then or $35040.
Just cant believe what poeple are prepared to pay for them now
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
i got my med forms through yesterday. They asked if you smoke and how many a day. What i want to know is, do they do tests to see if you are a smoker and how can they tell??
So are you?

Sandra, dont succumb!!! You get a big , I did it 2½ years ago & I know how hard it is. Just always remember how far you have come & dont slip back again .
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wendy&Mike
Sandra,

I gave up 20 months ago. Best thing I ever did. FWIW, I'm 45, smoked 30 years, 30+ per day. Don't miss it a bit. Stick with it.

Mike.

I dont intend going back on the fags....but have put on so much weight......used to be quite a cool chick............now a fat old boiling hen!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 5:52 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Neither Andrew or I have bought a ciggie in the UK since August.... no we haven't given up. We have lots of trips abroad to get duty frees. Canaries is not so good can only bring 200 back but other parts of Spain and EEC are brill, you can bring 3400 each back. I think I would die if I had to pay shop prices. If they are that expensive in Oz, I guess I ought to think of packing it in.
Good on all of you who have quit, keep at it. Have tried a few times and failed miserably.

Best Wishes
Sarah
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:16 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw a good article in The Economist the other week. Main message was about obesity, but they were comparing the eating-too-much-and-not-exercising-enough trend with what's been happening with smoking.

Seems only the poor and stupid smoke these days. Adds up. (OK, before you have a go, there might be some exceptions.) The richer and better-informed part of the population gave up the fags a long time ago. Now even the underclass are stopping their puffing and coffin.

Same thing is starting to be seen with obesity, last year was the first year for yonks that the obesity index for the UK actually declined, people are starting to eat better at last.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by teach
I think I would die if I had to pay shop prices.
Best Wishes
Sarah
Sarah, If you carry on paying duty free prices, you will.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Hey I remember we had a thread like this just after New Year!

I wonder how well all those posters are doing with their New Years resolutions to stop smoking!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=201246

I said it then and I'll say it again, I did an online internet course "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and I urge all you smokers to try it. I stopped about 2 years ago and I can honestly say I feel as though I've never smoked. In that I mean that even now I can feel the physical damage I did to my body (but it's getting better all the time) but psychologically, I can't remember why on earth I used to smoke! I have no desire for a cigarette at any time, I can sit in a pub full of smokers and not be tempted (although I feel kippered the following morning because of all the smoke in the pub!), it wouldn't even occur to me to have a cigarette now.

I wish there was an online course on how to give up Red Wine & Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps! Although I understand that moving to Australia is a good remedy for Walkers Crisps as they do not have them (am I right?).

Stub it out!!!!

sandy
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:49 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: All you smokers

On the smoking point of view, I quit 12 years ago and dont miss them at all, but those who still smoke how do you cope with the flight times to get to OZ, do you go cold turkey or what?
we have a relative who smokes and will not visit unless he quits before the flight, as he says he can't cope without a fag for that long.

Jenny
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:05 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
Smokers stink of shit and leave chemical traces throughout their bodies. Since giving up I have always been able to sniff a smoker.

Best policy is to be honest otherwise the visa may be withdrawn at any period in the future.

jensteve I used to smoke and fly long haul. Customs would spot me sparking up and chain smoking on arrival and pull me over. The inflight alcohol used to help ease matters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.