Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all of you selling your property.

For all of you selling your property.

Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future
Default For all of you selling your property.

A freind of mine was telling me she heard on the radio the other day how these people had been trying to sell their house for a while, and in the end decided to raffle it off. Sounds crazy I know, but, think about it.. If someone was to aproach you and said you could spend £25.00 on a raffle ticket and that you could win a house, you'd be pretty stupid to say no.
I don't know too much about the story, and know theres probably tonnes of rules you would have to check out, but I do know that these guys finally raffled off their house successfully.
Just wanted to share a brilliant idea with alot of stressed out property sellers
FBxxxx
Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:51 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all of you selling your property.

Originally Posted by funkybuddah
A freind of mine was telling me she heard on the radio the other day how these people had been trying to sell their house for a while, and in the end decided to raffle it off. Sounds crazy I know, but, think about it.. If someone was to aproach you and said you could spend £25.00 on a raffle ticket and that you could win a house, you'd be pretty stupid to say no.
I don't know too much about the story, and know theres probably tonnes of rules you would have to check out, but I do know that these guys finally raffled off their house successfully.
Just wanted to share a brilliant idea with alot of stressed out property sellers
FBxxxx
I seem to remember someone on the forum doing that last year. Can't remember how it went though
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:15 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, a couple in Kent tried that last year and failed, they didnt raise anywhere near the reserve they wanted and were on the market for months afterwards too.....
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:23 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Yes, a couple in Kent tried that last year and failed, they didnt raise anywhere near the reserve they wanted and were on the market for months afterwards too.....
Oh dear .....
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

This seems to take desperation to a new level! Our house is on the market for £290K which at £25 a ticket would mean that we would need 11600 people to buy one!! Seems a little far fetched for me, but hey, whatever makes a person tick!!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:31 am
ABCDiamond

Interesting idea Now, how can I sell 10,000 tickest at $40 each, with a house in Sydney for the winner ?

Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
This seems to take desperation to a new level! Our house is on the market for £290K which at £25 a ticket would mean that we would need 11600 people to buy one!! Seems a little far fetched for me, but hey, whatever makes a person tick!!
You don't have to sell tickets for £25 sell them for whatever you like As for how you go about it, you'd probably have to contact a solicitor. Call it desperation, but all I know is that it worked for these guys, and who says it won't work for you?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

You don't have to sell tickets for £25 sell them for whatever you like As for how you go about it, you'd probably have to contact a solicitor. Call it desperation, but all I know is that it worked for these guys, and who says it won't work for you?
It didn't work for there guys, and they were only asking £5 a ticket

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3729092.stm

Phil
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:39 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PhilShila
It didn't work for there guys, and they were only asking £5 a ticket

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3729092.stm

Phil
Yeah, but if they had sold the tickets for £25 each they would have met there reserve and some on top. In fact £120,000 on top. I think it's a really good idea particularily if you can set a reserve that needs to be met before the top prize is given away.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by elksa
Yeah, but if they had sold the tickets for £25 each they would have met there reserve and some on top. In fact £120,000 on top. I think it's a really good idea particularily if you can set a reserve that needs to be met before the top prize is given away.
True - but they may have found fewer people willing to part with £25 a ticket. Having said that, I did once seriously consider doing this myself and did a bit of research - but in the end, just couldn't be a*r*s*e*d to actually go about setting it up.

Phil
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:44 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PhilShila
True - but they may have found fewer people willing to part with £25 a ticket.
Phil

Yes, I bought 2 of the £5 tickets but had they been £25 each would probably not have bought any.....
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:53 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

FBxxxx

This is what £25 may get you....

http://www.treetopsforyou.co.uk/

D D
Old Jun 10th 2005, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You could also be leaveing yourself open to criminal procescution if you organize an auction and then decide you've not sold enough tickets to go ahead with it.

You would also have to repay all the people who have bought a ticket from and some people might consider you were running a scam and sue you.

Seems to me like a legal nightmare.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

FBxxxx
This is a great idea but you would definitely have to have the Gaming Commission monitoring the whole raffle this may cost thousands and you would probably be required to donate the profits to charity. You could end up in Jail of not properly organised even if you have good intentions.