Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

all you ozzie 7 seater boys and gals-advice please

all you ozzie 7 seater boys and gals-advice please

Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:29 pm
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future
Question all you ozzie 7 seater boys and gals-advice please

We will be arriving in Sydney november and hope to buy a car quickly, as we cant be without. Our problem is we need at least a 7 seater 5 bambinos/brats. We have looked at vw 8 seater phew pricey
toyota prado is it a real 8 seater?
nissan pathfinder-hard on tarmac?
kia carnival or grand-dodgy engines?
Do you think we need to go 4x4 as we plan to travel around for a few months and have no idea of the roads demands, are they safer?
Nuf of the questions, just let us know what experiences you have had and whats the best value-new or 2nd hand- any advice appreciated
Weve read most of the car posts but not much on 8 seaters and please dont bolluck us for mentioning 4x4s

M&M
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:02 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: all you ozzie 7 seater boys and gals-advice please

Toyota Prado. Best 4x4 for Australian roads and off in my opinion. Couldnt be happier with ours.

Has 5 normal and very large seats and two removable seats in the rear, but its probably best known for its offroad ability and reliability. Holds value very very well and generally its a great SUV and I wouldnt switch to another car maker at the moment. Toyota have a good rep for legendary toughness for a reason. Its a go anywhere, do anything real 4x4 with comfort.

Downsides. Twin 90 lt fuel tanks make a $200 bill at the gas pump. Mind you that goes a heck of a long way lol. Tyres - you will get through them more often and should switch to Cooper tyres which are harder and more long wearing than the standard ones.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:13 pm
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
Toyota Prado. Best 4x4 for Australian roads and off in my opinion. Couldnt be happier with ours.

Has 5 normal and very large seats and two removable seats in the rear, but its probably best known for its offroad ability and reliability. Holds value very very well and generally its a great SUV and I wouldnt switch to another car maker at the moment. Toyota have a good rep for legendary toughness for a reason. Its a go anywhere, do anything real 4x4 with comfort.

Downsides. Twin 90 lt fuel tanks make a $200 bill at the gas pump. Mind you that goes a heck of a long way lol. Tyres - you will get through them more often and should switch to Cooper tyres which are harder and more long wearing than the standard ones.
Cheers Centurion, are the rear seats on the floor or full size,and whats the real mileage per 100 litres, I drove a cruiser and it had the silly seats and 20 to the gallon
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:14 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

We've got a new Carnival. No problems with it, just had it serviced. Costs about $50-$60 to fill up.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
If money was no object it would have to be the Toyota Prado in VX spec with the diesel engine (the latest D4D, not the earlier one which was shite).

VX, because that's the level of spec. when all the driving goodies like traction control kick in.

Best value for money, in my opinion is the GLX diesel Pajero - all the same "goodies" as the Prado VX like traction control, ABS, etc for about 25 grand less.

Plus the extra seats slide under the floor when not in use, unlike the Prado.

I have a GLX Paj and just taken it on a 4000k trip up north, over 50% was "off road" driving in some very remote places. It went like a dream, an amazing vehicle.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Nissan Pathfinder, and really like it.

Plenty of room with four kids, these are not all toddler either. My lot range from 15 -2 years old.

Anyway we live in rural area and the Pathfinder handles well around town and dirt roads.

We read up on the carnival but changed our minds. As we were going to the beach alot and live in a rural area, everyone in Perth said we would be better getting a 4WD. Im now glad we took their advice.

The other thing you could go for is a Mitsubishi Delica. Think thats right name, its a 4WD people carrier. Seen a couple around here and they look ok, and supposed to drive on beaches etc.

Mind you Im no car expert. But the Pathfinder gets a from us.

GEMS
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
The other thing you could go for is a Mitsubishi Delica. Think thats right name, its a 4WD people carrier. Seen a couple around here and they look ok, and supposed to drive on beaches etc.
Good call, they are based on the Pajero and will go anywhere a Paj will. They are all grey market imports and most are quite old/high milage.

I wanted to get one, they are like the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine, some have loads of "fruit". Plans changed when I showed one to the Mrs and she refused to even get in to, what she described as a "wallymobile". My mate Alan had exactly the same reaction from his Mrs too.

Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:50 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
If money was no object it would have to be the Toyota Prado in VX spec with the diesel engine (the latest D4D, not the earlier one which was shite).

VX, because that's the level of spec. when all the driving goodies like traction control kick in.

Best value for money, in my opinion is the GLX diesel Pajero - all the same "goodies" as the Prado VX like traction control, ABS, etc for about 25 grand less.

Plus the extra seats slide under the floor when not in use, unlike the Prado.

I have a GLX Paj and just taken it on a 4000k trip up north, over 50% was "off road" driving in some very remote places. It went like a dream, an amazing vehicle.

I agree. I originally looked at Toyota's but quickly realised you pay a premium for them. Bought excellent Mitsibushi Pajero and would definitely buy another. I guess it depends on your budget.

In order to see what Australia has to offer - strongly recommend 4x4 as it opens up more opportunities. (Would never have considered one in the UK - in fact I detested them then.)
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I second the opinion on the Prado, we bought one a month ago and we love it. Best car I've ever had and there's nothing else I'd rather have. The seats in the back (right at the back) are pretty small though and there doesn't look like a lot of foot space - all depends on whether you are looking for a mini bus or not.

If you like the look of the Pajero's they are a damn good buy, just as good as the Prado but they don't hold the price so well. You should be able to get a nice one for $25 grand or so whereas the Prado would be $35 grand.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

keijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant futurekeijei has a brilliant future

No competition, get a Mitsubishi Delica. Has real 7 seats, some have 8 and is 4x4. Had one for 4 years, can't go wrong. go to www.delicaclub.com for more info.

Cheers, Kevin
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:08 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magic.no7
We will be arriving in Sydney november and hope to buy a car quickly, as we cant be without. Our problem is we need at least a 7 seater 5 bambinos/brats. We have looked at vw 8 seater phew pricey
toyota prado is it a real 8 seater?
nissan pathfinder-hard on tarmac?
kia carnival or grand-dodgy engines?
Do you think we need to go 4x4 as we plan to travel around for a few months and have no idea of the roads demands, are they safer?
Nuf of the questions, just let us know what experiences you have had and whats the best value-new or 2nd hand- any advice appreciated
Weve read most of the car posts but not much on 8 seaters and please dont bolluck us for mentioning 4x4s

M&M
Hey Martin, Debs old Shogun is here gathering DUST !!! The one we brought over from UK !

She now has the Pathfinder, great car. Toyotas are great, build is good, but you pay massive premium to get the gadgets.

Steve ( replied to your PM by the way )
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:25 am
Just Joined

ABuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seaangel
We've got a new Carnival. No problems with it, just had it serviced. Costs about $50-$60 to fill up.
I've heard nothing but good things about the Kia Carnival. No good for off-road, but then who really ever takes those huge 4 x 4's off road anywaY
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABuzz
No good for off-road, but then who really ever takes those huge 4 x 4's off road anywaY
I do.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:02 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I do.
Me too.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 5:08 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Me too.
And me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.