Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all you expats,please help me before tommorow..??

to all you expats,please help me before tommorow..??

Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:07 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default to all you expats,please help me before tommorow..??

well,i have been living the dream on here now for nearly six months and lots of times i have not listened to all the negative things about Australia,perth in particular.
i hate negativity and rightly or wrongly i have always dismissed it.
i have said lots of times ,i will make it work what ever..

but i would like to ask all you Expats out there,,AM I KIDDING MYSELF???

i am a believer in fate and to be honest i have two things gone wrong with my house sale that are a million to one against ever happening to anyone..

well heres the question,i can use the last thing that happened on Friday to delay the sale of my house,come to perth for a month ,check it out and then if i dont like it pull out of the sale.
only thing is,1..i am messing some one else about who has set his heart on this house.
an 2 i am getting top money...

i was 1 million percent on going to oz,,but to be honest after reading some of the threads recently its making me think twice,here are some of my fears..

1.if i saw one of those flippin huntsman things in my house i dont think i would ever sleep again

2,flys,i flippin hate em.

3.mozzies,the same as fly's

4.snakes,same as huntsman.

5.the sun i like it.it would be nice to go in it and not feel like the meat in a pork pie(covered in slimey jelly)

6.is Australia really better than the u.k as the full picture..

i know i am the only one who can decide for myself but i have a decision to make before tomorrow and i could do with some good advise please.

Marcus..

Last edited by aston man; Nov 28th 2006 at 12:15 am.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:12 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to all you expats,please help me before tommorow..??

Get out here and decide for yourself
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:17 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
well,i have been living the dream on here now for nearly six months and lots of times i have not listened to all the negative things about Australia,perth in particular.

i am a believer in fate and to be honest i have two things gone wrong with my house sale that are a million to one against ever happening to anyone..

well heres the question,i can use the last thing that happened on Friday to delay the sale of my house,come to perth for a month ,check it out and then if i dont like it pull out of the sale.
only thing is,1..i am messing some one else about who has set his heart on this house.

i was 1 million percent on going to oz,,but to be honest after reading some of the threads recently its making me think twice,here are some of my fears..

1.if i saw one of those flippin huntsman things in my house i dont think i would ever sleep again

5.the sun i like it.it would be nice to go in it and not feel like the meat in a pork pie(covered in slimey jelly)

i know i am the only one who can decide for myself but i have a decision to make tomorrow and i could do with some good advise please.

Marcus..

Ya big jessie

You are experiencing the phenomana know as "oh shit, what the f**k am I doing". It comes and goes butcan be balanced against "if only"

Good luck !
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

i know i am the only one who can decide for myself but i have a decision to make before tomorrow and i could do with some good advise please.

Marcus..

You're thinking too much honey, get out here before you drive yourself crazy.

All the negative posts are fine, but you really can't let them dictate what you do. For the majority of us everything is good, it's just that we don't feel the need to tell everyone every two minutes.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:23 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrating in five easy steps (or, the world according to me):

1) Fear is par for the course - if you weren't petrified, you'd probably be clinically dead. Embrace the fear!

2) Nothing is certain. If it's not ringing your bell when you get here, change it. Move home, try another part of Aus. Money is only there for spending.

3) Don't leave the UK on bad terms. Nor because you hate it. You don't know when you'll need it. (See point 2)

4) Be realistic and be informed. Read the moving back to the UK forum. Read this forum. Then ignore it all! This part is very important. Positives and negatives for other people are just that: for other people. They may, or may not, apply to you. Don't worry about them.

5) Don't expect anything - that way you can't be disappointed.

It's dead easy, really.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:25 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Making a change can involve challenges, risks, complications, and a lot of worries.

You can either embrance change, and deal with the possibility that things can go right or they can go wrong. Or you can avoid change and stick with what you are used to.

Most things we do are not irreversiable, going to Australia doesn't necessarily have to mean a life sentence. Go there, give it a try (as you are one of the lucky ones who are getting that chance), really you don't have anything to lose besides money and time.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Marcus..
I'm one of the first to say it's far from perfect here, but I don't think any of the things you listed are reasons not to go if you think you may always regret not trying it.

I'm in the far northern suburbs of Perth by the ocean. Hardly ever see a mozzie here. There are flies. Annoying but not life threatening. If you live where there are loads of trees or lakes and rivers, expect mozzies. Hardly ever see snakes, but they are there. That said, my 2-yearold son found a baby dugite in the garden.

If you expect Australia to be better than the UK, you may be disappointed, depending on what problems you are trying to escape from in the UK. Then again, for you, it may be better. There really is only one way to find out for sure.

Are there any deeper reasons behind your hesitation (family, etc)?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

From someone like me who has a big spider phobia, dont let that put you off. Have been here for 7 months now & have seen less spiders than i did in the UK ! & have yet to see a huntsman ( well saw a squashed baby one, but that was dead so it doesn't count ) Just get your house sprayed, we had it done twice just to make sure !!
You wont see a snake either unless you go out in the bush early in the morning or in the evening and make a point of looking for one.

Flies are a bit of a pain sometimes, but just buy some Aeroguard !

Just relax & look forward to your reccie

Nicky
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:53 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone i have had a look at my list and yes i am a big woos,i feel a right tart now as del boy would say..

i suppose as i have to make the final decision tomorrow on my house i am getting cold feet.

the house sale has gone through to quick and you know the old saying "you dont know what you have got until it has gone" has got Me rocking a little bit..

i cannot tell you how thankful i am to you people on the other side of the world who take time out to help people like me...

YOU ARE A FANTASTIC LOT.XXX.

i will do the same when i get to oz to help as many people that i can.

thanks all.

m.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Marcus..
Hey...i can be very negative about OZ..but to be quite honest i would never tell anyone not to try it..you have to suss that one out for yourself.
Spiders will be the least of your worries when you get here.

Give it a try no matter what others say. Take your own advice and make your own decisions.

It's all about adventure..it's a short life and a long time dead!!!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:29 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Marcus..
Hi Marcus, we have people who are about to stay with us, also people who just left us that have had drawn out sales on properties, if you do not go forward you may then be put into the same position they are and I think you will agree, that would be the worst thing. Bite the bullet,, you can always go back. Regret of having not done something is worse than the regret of trying and not liking...How did you go with accommodation, we are looking at another property at the moment so we may be able to help you if we can,,,I will keep in touch via email..Suzette and Will at Cedar Cottage.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ransi
Get out here and decide for yourself
Just about sez it..... Sorry mate but its all that what ifs and if only's that lets the Aussies go on about the whinging Pom.
Beats me how you can say you want to emigrate to Australia without doing a visit.
We came out December 2003 to check it out - fatal ---lovvved the place, so far been here three times ( in Sydney now) visited Perth - Hobart -Adelaid - Brisbane - Gold coast and all places south to Sydney - which is an icon and very very busy place which has it all.
As for spiders and flys...so what, do what the aussies do...abide by the rules and check things out.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of my "one year in the GC" and some of the replies - nothing negative there Can't speak for Perth but if you don't try it you will never know and IMO a month doing a reccie doesn't tell you much. We have all gone down the "WTF are we doing" wouldn't be normal if you didn't - it's a major life change. We were relatively relaxed about the whole thing but we still had our moments, generally when our eldest was accusing us for the millionth time we were ruining her life
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:50 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone i have had a look at my list and yes i am a big woos,i feel a right tart now as del boy would say..

i suppose as i have to make the final decision tomorrow on my house i am getting cold feet.

the house sale has gone through to quick and you know the old saying "you dont know what you have got until it has gone" has got Me rocking a little bit..

i cannot tell you how thankful i am to you people on the other side of the world who take time out to help people like me...

YOU ARE A FANTASTIC LOT.XXX.

i will do the same when i get to oz to help as many people that i can.

thanks all.

m.
if you were in oz and moving back to the uk, and your house sale fell through and other things beside, would it be a sign not to move back?

Think of the reasons you first embarked on the long long long visa process before all the hassles since. Dream, do, live have fun. Worry about stuff when you are dead, you will have lots of reflective time to kill then!!

We had lost our way recently bogged down with what we were going to do for careers and houses and areas and and and and and and ...................

We forgot that we were going to sydney for the first year to have fun. To check out all the bars and clubs and gig venues and walks and sights and and and and and and.................................
You are alllowed to have fun as part of your visa too. Thats if you want to have fun, i know we do.

Take a step back from all the uk bollox and concentrate on making a list of things that wet your whistle when you get there, its great fun. Then plan leaving parties. Not much to do after that apart from cancel a few things and book the flights movers and pet movers, pack and gooooooooooooooo

We are off to check out the snowy mountains and fraser island andthe glass house mountains and nimbins help olympics. Be a traveller and dont swap one crap life in the uk for another. Get your money from the house sale in to this account https://applynow.bankwest.com.au/ACS...Disclosure.asp at 6.80% you should get a nice earner while you decide. Our house sale money will pay our rent with spends for a whole year at this rate of interest. In thaatr time we can really decide what we are doing!
Dont ofrget that rent also includes council tax by law!

get going, as everything be waiting for you back in the u.k. it isnt going anywhere and wont change. and if you decide to move back then do a reccie back in the uk as a worker not a tourist to confirm your decision, im told its the best way of getting over homesickness as soon as you land!!!

good luck with the house and the move.

al

Last edited by alkristensen; Nov 28th 2006 at 3:05 am.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Ya big jessie

You are experiencing the phenomana know as "oh shit, what the f**k am I doing". It comes and goes butcan be balanced against "if only"

Good luck !
Don't call him a butcan
J.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.