Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all you dog lovers out there

For all you dog lovers out there

Old Jul 20th 2006, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light
Default For all you dog lovers out there

Well I've been here a week and now have a moment to update you on my move to Melbourne. Some of you may remember I was really worried about my boxer Rosie doing the journey and being in quarantine. Now I can say to everyone else who is worried - DON'T BE, THEY REALLY ARE OK, THEY DO SURVIVE, AND YOU'LL BE REALLY GLAD YOU DIDN'T LEAVE THEM BEHIND!
If you could of seen her face when she saw me even a hardened animal hater would of melted. She couldn't believe her eyes and then went absolutely beserk! The people at Spotswood are fantastic. She's lost abit of weight but nothing drastic.
Then we had a nightmare journey back to Dandenong on the train,cos the friend I am staying with couldn't get the time off work to take us by car. Poor Rosie got squashed and stood on all the way.
After a week of loving she's still abit clingy, follows me everywhere, even in the loo, but that's to be expected.
We took her to the beach today, it was beautiful and sunny, and to see her running in the sea and charging about like a looney was worth all the anguish.
As for my son and me we have hired a car and have been looking for rentals in the Ringwood area ( Rosie comes too of course). Can't wait for hubby to join us this weekend - he had to stay behind to tie things up with house sale, which thank god finally went through.
First impressions of Melbourne - love it. I was worried about driving around, but it's very easy. People are friendly and helpful, and the sun has been shining. My son who's 17 is in car and girl heaven!
The worst part was saying goodbye to my daughter, the pain is a knot in my stomach still. Poor girl had to go through it again with her Dad today.

So that's it so far, anyone arriving soon or already here and wants to chat, I'm up for it anytime.
Love Suex
Old Jul 20th 2006, 6:58 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: For all you dog lovers out there

Glad your settling well, and great news about Rosie.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 7:01 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For all you dog lovers out there

Hiya Bookie
I was wondering how you were doing... I was in Wing, not far from MK. Glad to see that you made it over with your pup and you're all settling in. Really pleased for you.

Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Tigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bookie
Well I've been here a week and now have a moment to update you on my move to Melbourne. Some of you may remember I was really worried about my boxer Rosie doing the journey and being in quarantine. Now I can say to everyone else who is worried - DON'T BE, THEY REALLY ARE OK, THEY DO SURVIVE, AND YOU'LL BE REALLY GLAD YOU DIDN'T LEAVE THEM BEHIND!
If you could of seen her face when she saw me even a hardened animal hater would of melted. She couldn't believe her eyes and then went absolutely beserk! The people at Spotswood are fantastic. She's lost abit of weight but nothing drastic.
Then we had a nightmare journey back to Dandenong on the train,cos the friend I am staying with couldn't get the time off work to take us by car. Poor Rosie got squashed and stood on all the way.
After a week of loving she's still abit clingy, follows me everywhere, even in the loo, but that's to be expected.
We took her to the beach today, it was beautiful and sunny, and to see her running in the sea and charging about like a looney was worth all the anguish.
As for my son and me we have hired a car and have been looking for rentals in the Ringwood area ( Rosie comes too of course). Can't wait for hubby to join us this weekend - he had to stay behind to tie things up with house sale, which thank god finally went through.
First impressions of Melbourne - love it. I was worried about driving around, but it's very easy. People are friendly and helpful, and the sun has been shining. My son who's 17 is in car and girl heaven!
The worst part was saying goodbye to my daughter, the pain is a knot in my stomach still. Poor girl had to go through it again with her Dad today.

So that's it so far, anyone arriving soon or already here and wants to chat, I'm up for it anytime.
Love Suex
Hi Suex

I was wondering if you could tell me who you used to ship your dog over and how much it cost please?

I am glad all went well for you and the dog.

cheers
tigersanne
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:21 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Love Suex
Thanks for the great post - youve pot our minds at rest - we are shipping our cats from Newcastle to Melbourne and then after quarantine Brisbane.
Dont forget to Get the Heartworm tablets - its a must for all dogs over in AUstralia (think its some kind of parasite injected by mosquitos.

Sounds Like Rosie is really settling into Aussie Life - enjoy your new lives down under. God Bless!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tigersanne
Hi Suex

I was wondering if you could tell me who you used to ship your dog over and how much it cost please?

I am glad all went well for you and the dog.

cheers
tigersanne
We used Golden Arrow, they were great, all the paperwork done very efficiently. Cost was approx 2100 pounds, about 120 pounds for blood tests in UK plus $750 this end for the quarantine. Expensive but worth every penny and cent!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:45 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue,

So lovely to read your post. We too will be using Spotswood for our "Sprocket" when we get the ok with the visa.
Did you visit your dog while in quarantine or did you send it over before you left the UK?
So glad your reunited with your pooch again. It's positively heartbreaking thinking about separation from them,the long flight and long stay in quarantine. I try not to think too much about it at the moment.

*pearly*
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi Sue,

So lovely to read your post. We too will be using Spotswood for our "Sprocket" when we get the ok with the visa.
Did you visit your dog while in quarantine or did you send it over before you left the UK?
So glad your reunited with your pooch again. It's positively heartbreaking thinking about separation from them,the long flight and long stay in quarantine. I try not to think too much about it at the moment.

*pearly*
No, I arrived only one day before she was due out, but I think if I was here I wouldn't of visited her, because she would think she was going with me and that wouldn't be fair.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:08 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi Sue,

*pearly*
I spoke to several pet shippers and quarantine staff - Visiting the pets when they are in Quarantine is a big No-No.
Apparently the Distress of seing you turn up and then go without them - sets them back. Animals do not have concept of time - Best to leave them be and then when you do see them you know its for keeps.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Tigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the roughTigersanne is a jewel in the rough

We used Golden Arrow, they were great, all the paperwork done very efficiently. Cost was approx 2100 pounds, about 120 pounds for blood tests in UK plus $750 this end for the quarantine. Expensive but worth every penny and cent!

Hi Bookie
Thank you for your reply, most helpful.

cheers
Old Jul 21st 2006, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Sue,

what a great post. We have two young cats who will stay with my Dad until we are settled and have a house, then they will come out and join us They love the sun (as has been really hot in the UK) so hoping they will enjoy lying out in the Oz sun when they get there.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 4:25 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Love Suex
Thanks for a great post, Sue.

My tummy is in knots all the time about our Milly going into quarantine (she'll be going to Spotswood too)....I know she'll be fine but it still doesn't stop me worrying!!!

Good to hear Rosie is doing well....

D D
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Elka is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank God for your message, I am moving to Perth end of August and am soooooo worried about my dog ""Wilson going over and this has eased my mind.............

I'm worried about not seeing him, him being stuck in a tiny cage for the flight over and him being stuck in kennels.......... have been torn between leaving him or taking him but like most dog lovers just couldn't live without him........ thank you for explaining what it was like - feel a little bit better now and agree that we shouldn't visit our dogs as it would be heart breaking for them to see you then you disapear again. It's going to kill me not seeing him for weeks but worth it as got another 12 - 15 yrs together yet and if you are anything like me they're not just a pets, they are part of the family - "he's not a dog - he's a Wilson" .........
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:18 pm
2007 Emigrants

Mike & Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
We have two young cats who will stay with my Dad until we are settled and have a house, then they will come out and join us
Pleased to find someone who's in exactly the same situation we're in. Can I ask where you're moving from/to and if you have any cat shipping costs yet ?
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Elka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike & Zoe
Pleased to find someone who's in exactly the same situation we're in. Can I ask where you're moving from/to and if you have any cat shipping costs yet ?

Hi Mike/Zoe,

Good to hear from you. I haven't got proper quotes yet. Rough ones have been £1,500 but Wilson is only small (Jack Russell size) and I know size effects costs. Wilson will be going out Oct 29th so am getting proper quotes now. I'll post them from each company so you can see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.