Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All Uk Airports Closed - Atc Failure

All Uk Airports Closed - Atc Failure

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:31 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default All Uk Airports Closed - Atc Failure

Oh dear, the UK's creaking public transport system has let us all down again. As of ~6am today all UK aiports are closed due to a major failure of Air Traffic Control systems. See story at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3772077.stm

What with the rail lines closed due to engineering works, the upcoming series of tube strikes and the jammed up roads, the best solution may be... to emigrate...!

Anya.

PS: Even the legendary 'Flying Scotsman' caught the bug last week - the steam engine broke down & had to suffer the indignity of being towed - by a diesel unit! - the last few miles into the rail museum.

Last edited by anya4oz; Jun 3rd 2004 at 6:33 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:44 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: All Uk Airports Closed - Atc Failure

Hiya Anya,
isn't this just typical of the lack of investment prevelant in the UK today.

The roads are full of jams or under repair!
The trains, well safety is a word they are not used to.
(Last time I went on a train, just looking out the window at the standard of the hardware made me think about getting off!)

Now the planes!
Glad to see theye are prioritising the ones still in the air
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Now where does all that TAX I pay go too?
Bye
Mark
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:49 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya Anya,
isn't this just typical of the lack of investment prevelant in the UK today.

The roads are full of jams or under repair!
The trains, well safety is a word they are not used to.
(Last time I went on a train, just looking out the window at the standard of the hardware made me think about getting off!)

Now the planes!
Glad to see theye are prioritising the ones still in the air
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Now where does all that TAX I pay go too?
Bye
Mark
Yes, I was especially upset about the Flying Scotsman, as I'd been walking round for years saying that the solution was to bring steam trains back

My neighbor has just offered a horse - she may have a good plan there (until the Union of Working Horses gets to hear of it, & they call an all-out strike )

Anya.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:01 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Anya,
wasn't it on TV that the trafic in London is now slower than when horse drawn carages were around?

For all those greens out there the horse would be ok!

bye
Mark
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:03 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Default Update: now working again but all's delayed

See:

Very best of luck to anyone trying to fly today

Anya.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update: now working again but all's delayed

Originally posted by anya4oz
See:

Very best of luck to anyone trying to fly today

Anya.
I bet there's a fair few going away today for a long bank holiday weekend.

I remember when therewas an ATC failure when we went on our honeymoon to Paris....just as we'd boarded the plane, all flights were grounded. We were sat on the tarmac for yonks. Of course all we wanted to do was get to the hotel ....
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents are flying out of Heathrow at 11am and boarded their flight about 20 minutes ago. They said the European ones seem to be the worst affected. All other flights seem to be getting off on time!!
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Our friends are setting off today from Manchester to visit us in Melbourne.

I know they're flight is delayed by an hour and half or so, but whether they get their connecting flight from Singapore remains to be seen!

Crossed fingers...