Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

to all tradies coming to oz

to all tradies coming to oz

Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:40 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to all tradies coming to oz

Originally Posted by Wendy
I can't really comment on other trades, or really other states as I'm not familiar with their process, but for electricians it will mean a big difference if they can do the AUS/NZ wiring rules course before they arrive.

At the moment it's very difficult for many to get a position as an assistant because not many people want to know if you haven't got a licence. If they can do the course in the UK whilst they are still in employment it will make a huge difference because it means they can work for an employer straight off the boat, so to speak (or plane )

I doubt whether they will extend all this to include the business course you need to do to be able to be a contractor, I'd guess that would have to be something they do when they arrive if they want to set up on their own (well that's how it works here is SA anyway).
its not just a case of sitting the exams. you are supposed to get a job and gain practical experience aswell. in qld anyway.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
its not just a case of sitting the exams. you are supposed to get a job and gain practical experience aswell. in qld anyway.

There's no job in SA without the licence. Thankfully the course is really easy, and you don't need the practical experience to pass
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi all

Sometime ago I mentioned O/H was going to apply for fastrack tafe course so that he can apply for a licence in order to go self-employed.

We are just in the process of sending off the forms to tafe for Cert. 3 in Construction Carpentry, the course is $2200 - $3500 (by the way tafe will not confirm the exact price until $250 is paid!). Wondering if other NSW tradies have gone through this same process.

Thanks

Nikki
This is the exact same course I have just completed, is your O/H doing it at the Ourimbah campus ?. I started it in Feb and like I said just got my transcript of completion through. Only got to wait for another six weeks for the Department of Fair trade to make a plastic license now. yawn.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:47 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
There's no job in SA without the licence. Thankfully the course is really easy, and you don't need the practical experience to pass
there lies the problem. every state is different.