Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all tradesmen

For all tradesmen

Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For all tradesmen

Hi there, Dean here, Delia's other half.

I have noticed that a lot of tradesmen are on there way over here, (I'm a chippie myself), which gives me a little cause for concern. Because there is such a labour shortage over here we all get bloody good money, good working conditions, and great weather. I work for myself and run an ad' in the local rag, the phone does'nt stop. Please stay back home all wrapped up in your thermals and Arctic weather gear, and out of the brotherhood of your fellow tradesmen leave us to enjoy our easy life.

Regards

Dean
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:37 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all tradesmen

Originally Posted by delia

I have noticed that a lot of tradesmen are on there way over here, (I'm a chippie myself), which gives me a little cause for concern. Because there is such a labour shortage over here we all get bloody good money, good working conditions, and great weather. I work for myself and run an ad' in the local rag, the phone does'nt stop. Please stay back home all wrapped up in your thermals and Arctic weather gear, and out of the brotherhood of your fellow tradesmen leave us to enjoy our easy life.

Regards

Dean
Well I'm not a tradesman but my hubby is.
So what you're saying is forget about our dream....I think you're having a giraffe.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can't see the irony you will fit in over here.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Regards

Dean
Do you think the same applies to Painters??
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Do you think the same applies to Painters??
I know the same applies to painters and decorators. I e-mailed one painting firm in Melbourne and he told me that there was a big shortage of good tradesmen both in the city and outer suburbs. Even offered me work.... said to ring the company and the MPA (master painters association) and they will all do what ever they can to help. Sounds promising?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:50 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypry
I know the same applies to painters and decorators. I e-mailed one painting firm in Melbourne and he told me that there was a big shortage of good tradesmen both in the city and outer suburbs. Even offered me work.... said to ring the company and the MPA (master painters association) and they will all do what ever they can to help. Sounds promising?
i'm glad you've said that.....

my hubbies a painter and decorator, and we were only saying today that there doesn't seem to be too many on this forum, or on the austimeline.

so the work's good? that sounds promising

we just need to pass the tra to proceed

michelle
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

ozboundperth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby is a brickie, and has been for the past 25yrs, but has no papers, never had trouble finding work in the UK, Whats it like there, with no papers? we will be on our way in a week or two!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bun

my hubbies a painter and decorator, and we were only saying today that there doesn't seem to be too many on this forum, or on the austimeline.

michelle
Hi

Just to add to the comments about Painters. My Dad has been over in Australia for the last 10 years working as he did in the UK as a Painter. He has established his own business and is never short of work, just labour!

He is based in NSW.

He said the shortage is all around the building industry which is great news for my Husband who is a Joiner, now if only we can pass the TRA........

Nikki
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bun

michelle
Good luck with the TRA... Must admit I had the easier route... My wife is Australian and both my children (Oz & UK passports by birth) No TRA for me just the proof and a medical.
After 10 years of self employment not looking forward to being someone else's Goffer. Apparently you have to sit a test if not TRA assessed to be self employed out there.......... TEST!!!!!!!!! Haven't done one of those since the early 80's. Still, unlike here at least you don't get the CHANCERS and COWBOYS?....... I heard the pay rates are better if you are in a Union of some kind EBA pay rates are $24.05 an hour and non EBA $15.00
Take care
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:43 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi

Just to add to the comments about Painters. My Dad has been over in Australia for the last 10 years working as he did in the UK as a Painter. He has established his own business and is never short of work, just labour!

He is based in NSW.

He said the shortage is all around the building industry which is great news for my Husband who is a Joiner, now if only we can pass the TRA........

Nikki
hi nikki

sorry to sound cheeky, but nsw is where we are heading (hopefully!!! ).

where about is your dad based, can you p.m. me with details. sorry to sound cheeky, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that.

my hubbie is city and guilds, with an aprenticeship, and loads and loads of experience under his belt.

hope you can help

michelle
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice

Originally Posted by cypry
Good luck with the TRA... Must admit I had the easier route... My wife is Australian and both my children (Oz & UK passports by birth) No TRA for me just the proof and a medical.
After 10 years of self employment not looking forward to being someone else's Goffer. Apparently you have to sit a test if not TRA assessed to be self employed out there.......... TEST!!!!!!!!! Haven't done one of those since the early 80's. Still, unlike here at least you don't get the CHANCERS and COWBOYS?....... I heard the pay rates are better if you are in a Union of some kind EBA pay rates are $24.05 an hour and non EBA $15.00
Take care
hi,
derek is a painter, we are going in under me as i am a nurse so derek will not be doing a tra assessment, does that mean he will have to do the test. he has some city and guilds certs. he has no problem doing a exam, but like you he has not done one for years, what happens if he fails? does he just do it again? he has 20 years experience. (we are going to brisbane by the way)

thanks
kate.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

si.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud ofsi.young has much to be proud of

Regards

Dean

Do you need an apprentice
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kateandderek
hi,
derek is a painter, we are going in under me as i am a nurse so derek will not be doing a tra assessment, does that mean he will have to do the test. he has some city and guilds certs. he has no problem doing a exam, but like you he has not done one for years, what happens if he fails? does he just do it again? he has 20 years experience. (we are going to brisbane by the way)

thanks
kate.
Hi Kate,
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered he will have to do the test to ensure he is capable of doing the job and doing it well. That includes estimating formula, product knowledge and of course practical. I think the test costs around $300 and takes a day or so. Then you have to pay the registration board a yearly sub about $160.00 to trade. I think that you must be able to retake the test if you fail bcos you just keep paying them the money... Their not complaining.
We're going to Melbourne,
Good luck
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Jones has 20 years experience of running his own business, plus of course the 4 year apprenticeship. He flew through the TRA as he has had VERY long contracts doing special restorative work for the national Trust in the UK. (Amongst others).

However, he still had to take the PRB exams although he didn't have to do the practical due to the apprenticeship. He took two exams: Business Management and Estimating and Specification. They are very much Aussie based so a good place to start to revise is www.ato.gov.au

It's all about Aussie business systems, wage payments, tax etc

Mr Jones passed with flying colours which I think is pretty amazing considering he was given no help at all from the PRB. (In fact the guy invigilating the exam hadn't even heard of the National Trust of WA!!!!) He had a few pointers from someone on this forum though.

You do not need to do this though unless you want to work for yourself and hence get your 'rego'. If you are happy to work for someone else then all you need is a TFN and ABN. Both available and straightforward to apply for online.

If anyone needs more help let us know.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

michele marc is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: For all tradesmen

hi, my other half marc is a roofer.We are hopefully going to be in Victoria before the new year. He passed TRA last nov does anyone know if thier is enough work out there for him.
The Wife Michel. :scared: :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.