Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all those who have taken their Cat(s)

View Poll Results: House Cats or Outdoor Cats?
House Cat
58.33%
Outdoor Cat
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

For all those who have taken their Cat(s)

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 12:36 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default For all those who have taken their Cat(s)

We are taking our cats when we emigrate to Perth in a few months, and I am worried about how they may settle

Out of those who took their cats, when they got to Oz, were they house cats or did you let them go outside.

Also were they house cats before they went or not

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: For all those who have taken their Cat(s)

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
We are taking our cats when we emigrate to Perth in a few months, and I am worried about how they may settle

Out of those who took their cats, when they got to Oz, were they house cats or did you let them go outside.

Also were they house cats before they went or not

Hi Tiawamutu,
We brought our dog out with us which has settled extremely well!
But our friend shipped 2 cats out with him, 1 sadly died a couple of weeks after it came out of quarantine due to an unforseen illness which would have happened reguardless of moving to Australia. The other one has settled very well and spends all day outside and evenings tucked up inside the house.
And is now the Top Cat in the cul de sac!
Our friend has no regrets bringing them whatsoever!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours was an outdoor cat at night and slept indoors during the day in the UK.

Now he's in and out during the day and in at night until about 6am. Won't let him out at night at all. There's a curfew here on cats.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:22 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

My dog and cat came out of quarantine a couple of weeks ago. The cat (flea) was settled into the same routine as in the UK by the third day ... she is in and out as she pleases during day/evening and is in from when we go to bed. The dog (Snitch) has also settled in great and loves his beach walks.

I was really worried about how they would cope with the travelling and quarantine but it was like water off a ducks back for both of them. Golden Arrow did a fantastic job and the staff at the Byford station are brilliant
Old Jun 5th 2006, 6:08 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, our cats have always been house cats, so I don't know how they would cope with going outside.

Will have to wait and see I suppose
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Ours was an outdoor cat at night and slept indoors during the day in the UK.

Now he's in and out during the day and in at night until about 6am. Won't let him out at night at all. There's a curfew here on cats.
i've heard of this, why is that. our friends in Mona vale when they had cats they kept them in at night - are they a problem with the wildlife or something?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by DebraH
i've heard of this, why is that. our friends in Mona vale when they had cats they kept them in at night - are they a problem with the wildlife or something?
I've heard somewhere that people shoot/kill them, as they feel they are a pest
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid my cat is an indoor cat through her choice . She has been and will always be terrified of outside. UK and Oz. She does occasionally brave it to have a number 2 but the most we can normally manage for her to go out is 15 minutes and then she knocks on the door, i kid you not, she bangs and crashes against the door to be let in. I dont know what happened to her before we got her but she has always been like this. Unfortunatley she is now a fat cat through lack of exercise and has been on a diet of ONE sachet of meat a day with a very small handfull of biscuits. Its hard but she was verging on diabetes.

Jo
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DebraH

Yes, it's to protect the wildlife and the cat. He seems perfectly happy with it. He has no qualms about going outside during the day and finding a sunny spot (impossible today as the mountains are covered in grey drizzle!) and then once he's been lying around outside all day, he comes in before the afternoon and that's it for the night. He's enjoying his retirement.