Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For All Those Still In The Uk

For All Those Still In The Uk

Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:29 am
Cambridgeshire family

wereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud of
Default Re: For All Those Still In The Uk

I dont think it was ill thought out at all. It was not a dig at anyone in particular and I am sorry if that has offended anyone. I agree that people should not apply or even go to Oz with rose tinted glasses and that is what this site is all about, a mine of very useful information. Everyone thinking of going to Oz or anywhere for that matter, should join this site.
My dig was, forgive me if I have misunderstood, that there seems to be a lot of Brits 'whinging' when thay get there. This has led me to believe that it is in fact them that have gone out there with rose tinted glasses.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:20 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wereoutahere
I dont think it was ill thought out at all. It was not a dig at anyone in particular and I am sorry if that has offended anyone. I agree that people should not apply or even go to Oz with rose tinted glasses and that is what this site is all about, a mine of very useful information. Everyone thinking of going to Oz or anywhere for that matter, should join this site.
My dig was, forgive me if I have misunderstood, that there seems to be a lot of Brits 'whinging' when thay get there. This has led me to believe that it is in fact them that have gone out there with rose tinted glasses.
There's not a lot of Brits winghing when they get here. For the most part, they're just telling their day to day realities, as they experience them. It's not rose tinted, sunnies or clear. Just their own perceptions.

The best anyone can take from this site is to recognise the diversity of experience we bring to and take from our emigration experience. It's like a carpet that you 'ang on t'wall, init?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:49 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Or another interpretation could be that God forbid, there is really actually a lot to whinge about here. Maybe we Poms whinge the most because the huge difference in standards between the UK and Oz mean there is just so much to whinge about. Maybe a polish immigrant to Australia would whinge less because the difference is not so great.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:59 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

I'm amazed!! there are 3 types of people in this world and all of them have replied in this thread.

1. The people that are go getters and willing to embrace the new life.

2. The people that feel its not for them and just come home with no fuss.

3. Then theres the people that think the whole dam world owes them a living and other people on this earth are to assist them.

So, my perception on moving to Oz is that, my wife and I will have to work and adapt to the Ozzie way of life, if that means I got to wait 3 weeks for a tin of paint or a 210mm nut then so be it. Dam, its got to be better than our llives we have in the UK. The people that have moved to Oz that are moaning about it obviously had a very good life in the UK, where everything worked out for them, everything was there for them at the time they wanted it and the way they wanted it. Its a different country, culture and people.
I am aware it is a slower pace of life with a laid back attitude but hey, nothing wrong with that. Its not England, its not America (thank god) and its certainly not a 3rd world country.
My family and I are looking forward to the challenges ahead and are willing to embrace the culture with open eyes.

Thankyou for a great thread. Good topic. My advice is to choose which one of the people above you are!
Yes, I think that's about right.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:02 pm
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arkon
Or another interpretation could be that God forbid, there is really actually a lot to whinge about here. Maybe we Poms whinge the most because the huge difference in standards between the UK and Oz mean there is just so much to whinge about. Maybe a polish immigrant to Australia would whinge less because the difference is not so great.
See, I just can't understand people who continue to whinge, know their whingeing and yet hang about AND apply for citizenship....

Whingeing isn't to do with where you come from - it's the sort of person you are....the sort of person that no matter how well life is going will find something to whinge about. I think some people aren't happy unless their whingeing.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:08 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
See, I just can't understand people who continue to whinge, know their whingeing and yet hang about AND apply for citizenship....

Whingeing isn't to do with where you come from - it's the sort of person you are....the sort of person that no matter how well life is going will find something to whinge about. I think some people aren't happy unless their whingeing.
I've got citizenship because I am a prisoner here now. May as well vote seeing as I have to pay taxes.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:29 pm
Cambridgeshire family

wereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud ofwereoutahere has much to be proud of

I thought prisoners werent aloud to vote!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:47 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies the list is long - however this is now a whinge just what I feel I don't have here.

better food - I prefer australian meat, booze, sweets and take aways

proper seasons -I have had a gutfull of not being able to plan anything due to the rubbish weather here.

tv liscence - I resent it and would rather have rubish tv - but for free

lower council tax rates

lower childcare rates

better job opportunities

more for your money - houses

less celebrity obsession

better schools

being away from such stupid political parties - they are awful everywhere but it's bad here

getting away from the nanny state

living in a country that is proud to be proud of it's Nationality and isn't scared to tell the truth without being accused of being racist

dosen't - grovel to another nations to prove they are pc and accept everyone and accept everyone can do what they want and not respect local customs

treats illegal immigrants correctly - not giving instuctions on a motorway roadside of instructions to get to the immigration office

They don't put up with other countries pissing on them whilst the country tries so hard to be their friend no matter what - england & france

Is interested in justice and not offending someone or hurting thier feelings or human rights.

Is not as reactive to national situations - ie dosen't change government policy or legislation due to something happening. Sorry to many incidents to list.

Taking the power of parents away from being a parent by telling them how to feed, educate etc their kids. If there are problems focus on the kids that have the issues not everyone.

I shall stop now as I really could go on and on.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:14 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Apologies the list is long - however this is now a whinge just what I feel I don't have here.

proper seasons -I have had a gutfull of not being able to plan anything due to the rubbish weather here.

lower council tax rates

lower childcare rates

better job opportunities

less celebrity obsession

better schools

being away from such stupid political parties - they are awful everywhere but it's bad here

living in a country that is proud to be proud of it's Nationality and isn't scared to tell the truth without being accused of being racist

dosen't - grovel to another nations to prove they are pc and accept everyone and accept everyone can do what they want and not respect local customs

treats illegal immigrants correctly - not giving instuctions on a motorway roadside of instructions to get to the immigration office

They don't put up with other countries pissing on them whilst the country tries so hard to be their friend no matter what - england & france

Is interested in justice and not offending someone or hurting thier feelings or human rights.

Is not as reactive to national situations - ie dosen't change government policy or legislation due to something happening. Sorry to many incidents to list.

Taking the power of parents away from being a parent by telling them how to feed, educate etc their kids. If there are problems focus on the kids that have the issues not everyone.

I'm not rising to the bait, but your list is just so misguided on every point that you're in for a shock when you get here if that list is a true indication of what you think about the place.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:23 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I'm not rising to the bait, but your list is just so misguided on every point that you're in for a shock when you get here if that list is a true indication of what you think about the place.
for once I agree with you Arkon.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:38 pm
Cambridgeshire family

Yes a bit heavy but you can see how the UK with its politics and weather get people to down to the extent of quitting the country and risking everything. I personaly think that th UK has had its day and it time to move out. I am looking forward to a 'different' culture with 'different' rules. I just feel my family and I would rather struggle in Oz than the UK. After all we can always come back.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: For All Those Still In The Uk

If we thought that moving to Australia was basically UK in the sun we wouldn't consider it. Every country has it's pro's and cons but we feel that we can have a better standard of life in Australia. We certainly haven't got rose tinted glasses as we are both giving up well paid jobs and a house to start from scratch. But if you don't take a risk now and then you will never get anywhere in life.

Why shouldn't people be excited about the positives about migrating - after all it takes a lot of time, money and effort. You need to think about the all the good things you want to do when you are there- whether or not you keep them up when you are there or not- if not then it would be too easy to give up.

Give us here still trying to get there a break please

Est
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:08 am
Gone for Good

better job opportunities

less celebrity obsession

Sorry mate, as you might see from previous posts on this thread I am on the positive side of things but I have to say some (most?) of the things on your list are wrong.

Politicians everywhere are corrupt as **** in my opinion as just as much in Oz as anywhere else. Just do search for "Brian Burke" and you'll see what's going on here.

Yes TV licence is a pain but the TV here is awful - so many adverts I've given up watching TV series such as Lost and just get them on DVD. So you'll end up getting Foxtel which is where the money you save on TV license goes. Anyway there's loads of other things to be doing than watching TV.

Not sure job opportunities are better here - not sure they're worse but I wouldn't say any better.

Less celebrity obsession? Really a reason to leave the UK? We get the crap like Idol and dancing stuff here too.

Dosen't grovel to another nations? The Howard govt is bending over backwards to accommodate (suck up) to the US just as much as the UK is over Iraq, etc. Howard and Downer did **** all about getting David Hicks a fair trial and now that he's going to get one they've suddenly taken an interest - basically because they've suddenly become aware of public opinon.

Not sure where you're coming from at all with the England and France thing but the English seem to have some bizarre dislike of the French. I wouldn't mind an explanation on this one

I wouldn't put any of those reasons as good reasons for moving to Australia. I can recommend Oz for the lifestyle, the weather, doing something different YES! But there are dodgy politicians, bizarre judicial decisions and crap governments everywhere in the world - you can't escape them.

And this is really hard for me to do as it means in some ways agreeing with Arkon....anyone got a boke smilie?

Last edited by binky; Mar 8th 2007 at 3:11 am.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:46 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

lower council tax rates

lower childcare rates

better job opportunities

less celebrity obsession

better schools

... and the winner of the "Most tinted glasses of the day" award goes to...

Last edited by stevemich; Mar 8th 2007 at 3:50 am.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 4:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by stevemich
... and the winner of the "Most tinted glasses of the day" award goes to...

Not just tinted, but boss-eyed too! I think he/she is wearing those glasses that you wear to fancy dress parties looking like Groucho Marx.

Statements like 'not minding crap TV so long as you don't have to pay a licence' just proves they have never seen such crap TV, because after 2 years of it I'd happily pay double the UK TV licence now, just to get some decent programming and new content, Oh and Austar is not much better.

As for the politicians here, they are not only as corrupt but probably more so, and to see them in action on the telly is laughable, it's worse than watching an Abbot and Costello movie, infact the real Abbot and Costello make the pair here look like Harold Floyd.

As for not sucking up to other nations, Howard needs to be renamed Enema because I'm sure if he put his head any further up Bushes back side it would make Bush gag.

Anyway, I got sucked in, hey ho. Maybe some bug and tar cleaner on his glasses might help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.