British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   To all those living in townsville (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/all-those-living-townsville-433842/)

painter man Mar 11th 2007 11:46 am

To all those living in townsville

Hi all,
Finally got to make a decision on whether to go to townsville or not on a sirs visa.
Is it a good place to live?
The best and not so good suburbs?
And does it rain as much as i think it does? (wet season i mean).
Any feed back will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mark.

youngy73 Mar 11th 2007 11:51 am

Re: To all those living in townsville

Originally Posted by painter man (Post 4506766)
Hi all,
Finally got to make a decision on whether to go to townsville or not on a sirs visa.

Kind Regards
Mark.

we live in cairns but the wife was working there for 7 months last year. i could live there.i quite liked pallerenda as a place to live. they do get a bit of rain in the wet and theyve had a fair bit this year butits not called brownsville for nothing.

painter man Mar 11th 2007 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by youngy73 (Post 4506777)
we live in cairns but the wife was working there for 7 months last year. i could live there.i quite liked pallerenda as a place to live. they do get a bit of rain in the wet and theyve had a fair bit this year butits not called brownsville for nothing.

Cheers for that YOUNGY73.

pasty legs Mar 11th 2007 1:54 pm

Hi Mark

We have been living in Townsville for about 7 months now and have absolutely fallen in love with the place.

Do a search for places to live as Rabc did a good rundown on different areas. We live in Kirwan (which is actually in Thuringowa, the second of the twin cities) but it seems to merge into one!

It was very wet this year (one of the best wet seasons for a few years we are told). We had about 600 mm of rain in one week, but apart from getting soaked to and from the car it was fine. The way I see it, for a few months wet season you get a wonderful rest of the year.

I would definitely recommend Townsville as a place to live. Its a thriving city with a great deal of history, but in many ways is still in its infancy and is yet to reach its full potential. The development and building industry is booming at the moment with all trades in demand.

Hope this helps, but please do a search on Townsville as there are plenty of links and pictures to help you.

Sara

The A Team Mar 11th 2007 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by pasty legs (Post 4506990)
Hi Mark

We have been living in Townsville for about 7 months now and have absolutely fallen in love with the place.

Do a search for places to live as Rabc did a good rundown on different areas. We live in Kirwan (which is actually in Thuringowa, the second of the twin cities) but it seems to merge into one!

It was very wet this year (one of the best wet seasons for a few years we are told). We had about 600 mm of rain in one week, but apart from getting soaked to and from the car it was fine. The way I see it, for a few months wet season you get a wonderful rest of the year.

I would definitely recommend Townsville as a place to live. Its a thriving city with a great deal of history, but in many ways is still in its infancy and is yet to reach its full potential. The development and building industry is booming at the moment with all trades in demand.

Hope this helps, but please do a search on Townsville as there are plenty of links and pictures to help you.

Sara

Good post, it sums Townsville up very well.

We love it here.

jimtrish Mar 14th 2007 12:38 am

Originally Posted by youngy73 (Post 4506777)

we live in pallarenda, its beautiful here.very expensive if you want to buy in this suburb though....but i would say its worth it.:)

jimtrish Mar 14th 2007 12:48 am

Originally Posted by painter man (Post 4506766)
Hi all,

Kind Regards
Mark.

Hi

weve been here around 16mths now and love it.
In our opinion its a good place for us to live and to bring our kids up in...but like anywhere, you have to make that decision for yourself, and this is just my opinion.
There are, like lots of places in the uk, alot of places that are lovely, and places that I wouldnt want to live..again, just my opinion.
I would generally not want to live in; Condon, Rasmussen,Kelso, Vincent and Garbutt, They are just areas that tend to have alot more problem families and generally the crime is higher.
The wet season this year has been just that, last year was reasonably dry and the year before it poured non stop for over a fortnight, but you learn to cope with that, and you definitely realise you need a tumble drier, as even though its hot, the humidity stops your clothes from drying.
The autumn and winter here is beautiful, although last year we hit 16c one morning and nearly all froze!!
usually around 24-26c in winter, so its perfect for any newbies to adjust to, though I dont think anything can prepare you for the intense summer, we love it but I know alot just stay in aircon all the time...even locals.
I would highly recommend Townsville, its becoming more popular with the english, you dont have to go far without finding an english accent, which is a shame in some respects, but reasurring if you are feeling a little lost.
Townsville is definitely on the up, we are having an international port, the airport is going to become international again at some point, more and more touristy ventures are going to be coming here.
It really is a beautiful place to be, and you arent far from the Cairns, or the whitsundays...all just 3-4hrs drive away.

hope this helps

Trish:D

wayne/kerrie Mar 14th 2007 9:27 am

Originally Posted by jimtrish (Post 4516042)
Hi

weve been here around 16mths now and love it.
In our opinion its a good place for us to live and to bring our kids up in...but like anywhere, you have to make that decision for yourself, and this is just my opinion.
There are, like lots of places in the uk, alot of places that are lovely, and places that I wouldnt want to live..again, just my opinion.
I would generally not want to live in; Condon, Rasmussen,Kelso, Vincent and Garbutt, They are just areas that tend to have alot more problem families and generally the crime is higher.
The wet season this year has been just that, last year was reasonably dry and the year before it poured non stop for over a fortnight, but you learn to cope with that, and you definitely realise you need a tumble drier, as even though its hot, the humidity stops your clothes from drying.
The autumn and winter here is beautiful, although last year we hit 16c one morning and nearly all froze!!
usually around 24-26c in winter, so its perfect for any newbies to adjust to, though I dont think anything can prepare you for the intense summer, we love it but I know alot just stay in aircon all the time...even locals.
I would highly recommend Townsville, its becoming more popular with the english, you dont have to go far without finding an english accent, which is a shame in some respects, but reasurring if you are feeling a little lost.
Townsville is definitely on the up, we are having an international port, the airport is going to become international again at some point, more and more touristy ventures are going to be coming here.
It really is a beautiful place to be, and you arent far from the Cairns, or the whitsundays...all just 3-4hrs drive away.

hope this helps

Trish:D

we second that Townsville is beautiful ...

we could could start to re rename it 'little britain' with all the english that are moving here.

and no i am not vicki pollard .....yeah but nay but yeah.. shut uppp lol xxx

jimtrish Mar 14th 2007 9:41 am

Originally Posted by wayne/kerrie (Post 4516907)
we second that Townsville is beautiful ...

we could could start to re rename it 'little britain' with all the english that are moving here.

and no i am not vicki pollard .....yeah but nay but yeah.. shut uppp lol xxx

and its all shirleys fault anyway, and shes got one boob bigger than the other...:D

wayne/kerrie Mar 14th 2007 11:59 am

Originally Posted by jimtrish (Post 4516933)
and its all shirleys fault anyway, and shes got one boob bigger than the other...:D

i want that one .....yeah i know :d

Rabc Mar 14th 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by pasty legs (Post 4506990)
Hi Mark

Sara

Well we are staying! :thumbup:

In many ways Townsville is a tale of two cities; the perception and the relality. What is for sure, Townsville has developed at an amazing pace over the past 10 to 15 years and a lot of advice although well intentioned does seem out of date when you are actually here. The mix of "traditional" North Queensland blends with the relentless development of new suberbs giving a range of lifestyles for those looking at this beautiful tropical city. We love it, the facilities are second to none, the streets are clean and well kept and the outback proper is on your doorstep. The ugly name does not portray the reality. The tropcial way of life is laid back and easy going as are the people. The drivers are terrible, there is too much sun when it doesn't rain and too much rain when it does (sound familiar?) :D We came to Townsville having never visited the place. We did the Carins thing in the past but it's nothing like it. It's a really livable place.

On balance Townsville is without a doubt the maturing centre of the north relying on in it's own commercial base which is great for sustainable employment. Yes it rains but it rains in the UK and here it can be warm, very warm in the summer and it can be wet (which after you have been here for a while is welcome - unless you have a big lawn:ohmy: ) but we really havent found it a problem. Living here is geared up to cater for it. The 7 months of clear blue skies and moderate temperatures (25°C) make the winter months an absolute paradise.

Sure there are problem areas but there are everywhere you go but nothing like the scale of the UK. England is 50° North and Townsville is 19° South and that's well and truly in the tropics but everyone I know has adapted easily to the warmer conditions.

As for us, at least for now we are staying well and truly were we are and to anyone considering coming to Townsville to live and work, come in, the water is lovely (just remember your stinger suit :o )

Best of luck

Rob