Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For all those with family issues...

For all those with family issues...

Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default For all those with family issues...

Although I am extremely happy and content here in Canberra, my husband son and step daughter, I have finally had the 'icing on the cake' recently!

We moved out here September 2004 and I had to leave my daughter behind (then 14) as she wanted to remain with her dad.

Contact has been difficult as she has blamed me for 'abandoning her' and I suppose (knowing my ex) that her feelings have been made worse by her dad - who tried so hard to stop me and my son from leaving (he is 18 and wanted to come out here).

Times have been really hard like christmas and New Year and specially birthdays - but yesterday I was on msn and she actually responded to my 'smiley face' (which is the only communication with her I have) - she actually asked me to put on the web cam and she put hers on - i got to see her for the first time since June 2004!!

Tears all round - but to anyone who maybe or is going through similar family problems - i offer you this in hope - TIME is the only healer of rifts and always try to keep in touch - even when you are ignored ( or in my case told to stay away from her and out of her life).

I haven't given up hope of a visit if she will come - but fingers crossed eh?

Sarah
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:29 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all those with family issues...

That's nice to hear - glad bridges are beginning to be built. We don't have any "family issues" but I know how important web cam etc is to us in helping us keep in touch with loved ones.

Hope things keep getting better and better for you now.

Binbird
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:35 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Although I am extremely happy and content here in Canberra, my husband son and step daughter, I have finally had the 'icing on the cake' recently!

We moved out here September 2004 and I had to leave my daughter behind (then 14) as she wanted to remain with her dad.

Contact has been difficult as she has blamed me for 'abandoning her' and I suppose (knowing my ex) that her feelings have been made worse by her dad - who tried so hard to stop me and my son from leaving (he is 18 and wanted to come out here).

Times have been really hard like christmas and New Year and specially birthdays - but yesterday I was on msn and she actually responded to my 'smiley face' (which is the only communication with her I have) - she actually asked me to put on the web cam and she put hers on - i got to see her for the first time since June 2004!!

Tears all round - but to anyone who maybe or is going through similar family problems - i offer you this in hope - TIME is the only healer of rifts and always try to keep in touch - even when you are ignored ( or in my case told to stay away from her and out of her life).

Sarah
Good onya Sarah, hope it all works out for you all.

Paul.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah
Hi Sarah,Why dont you both get microphones and download www.Skype.com and you can talk to one another, just like on the phone, for hours on end FREE of charge,you cant beat it!I talk to New Zealand/Australia/Spain and England nearly every day.Hope this helps,Brian.
Glad your daughter has come around and is talking to you.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:20 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Sarah
That's great news, Sarah. Don't give up hope that you will resolve things between you. As your daughter gets older she may view things differently and change her mind. Kids never think the same at 18 as they do at 14. Hope that you continue to enjoy more time chatting with her - who knows where it will lead?

Sue
Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:29 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Your story warmed my cockles. I hope your future conversations bring happiness, and some closeness.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:25 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sarah
Hello Sarah

It must have been a heart-breaking time for you over the past few years so I can only imagine how chuffed you were that things are finally looking up.

That's great news
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:05 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
That's great news, Sarah. Don't give up hope that you will resolve things between you. As your daughter gets older she may view things differently and change her mind. Kids never think the same at 18 as they do at 14. Hope that you continue to enjoy more time chatting with her - who knows where it will lead?

Sue
I'd echo Sue's comments - 14 is a difficult age and I think it's obligatory to give your parents as tough a time as possible and blame them for everything - I know I did! But thankfully, it doesn't last forever and as she matures, hopefully your relationship with your daughter will continue to strengthen.

I'm so pleased for you that she's starting to reach out - it must have been a very painful couple of years for your family but perhaps this is the corner turned now.

Nicky
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Were gunna have this sort of thing, so that gives us hope. Thank you for sharing your story.

yours Lace xx
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

oh sarah, things might be definately turning around then??? i do hope so, you've gone through such a lot!

keep smiling
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:38 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah
I can't imagine how it ust have felt to see your daughter again, I'm so glad you're managing to build those bridges again. Here's to a brighter future for you all.

Thanks for sharing,

Gill
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: For all those with family issues...

Thank you for all your kind words - it has been hard - but their are worse things in life I suppose - but it is hard to think of any when you feel so distraught !

Thank you again everyone out there feeling much more positive and determined that things will work out - eventually.

Sarah
Canberra
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:21 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your kind words - it has been hard - but their are worse things in life I suppose - but it is hard to think of any when you feel so distraught !

Thank you again everyone out there feeling much more positive and determined that things will work out - eventually.

Sarah
Canberra

Aww Sarah, it brought a tear to my eye reading your post. I hope this is the start of positive beginnings for you both, I really do.

Jackie x
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah

Hi

I went through something similar with my dad and he only lived a few mile away. We fell out when I was 15 and we didn't speak until I was 29.

I'd rather not say on here why we fell out, but I have to say the best thing I did was getting in touch again. Sadly he passed away with Cancer 6 months after we got back in touch, but it taught me that life's too short to hold grudges.

Make the extra effort to get to know her in what ever way you can. I guarantee it is worth it.

I regret all the years we didn't speak, all over something which really didn't matter anyway.

Good luck with it.

Wendy
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:37 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi

I went through something similar with my dad and he only lived a few mile away. We fell out when I was 15 and we didn't speak until I was 29.

I'd rather not say on here why we fell out, but I have to say the best thing I did was getting in touch again. Sadly he passed away with Cancer 6 months after we got back in touch, but it taught me that life's too short to hold grudges.

Make the extra effort to get to know her in what ever way you can. I guarantee it is worth it.

I regret all the years we didn't speak, all over something which really didn't matter anyway.

Good luck with it.

Wendy

Aww Wendy, you are so right. Life is much too short isn't it? You must have been very brave to get intouch with your dad again after all that time. At least you were with him when he needed you most.

Think we need a "crying buckets of tears" icon please mods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.