British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   For all those in Brisbane, what do you love the most? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/all-those-brisbane-what-do-you-love-most-491767/)

brissybound Nov 5th 2007 12:01 pm

For all those in Brisbane, what do you love the most?

Thats the form away, just a case of waiting.

If any forummers who have relocated to Brisbane feel free to regale me with your tales of joy and bliss about living in Brissy?

No negatives, just what you love the most about it.

Anyone go fishing in the river in Brissy for example?

All happy tales welcome? :thumbup:

Timber Floor Au Nov 5th 2007 12:18 pm

Re: For all those in Brisbane, what do you love the most?

Originally Posted by brissybound (Post 5513166)
Thats the form away, just a case of waiting.

If any forummers who have relocated to Brisbane feel free to regale me with your tales of joy and bliss about living in Brissy?

No negatives, just what you love the most about it.

Anyone go fishing in the river in Brissy for example?

All happy tales welcome? :thumbup:

No sorry.. its a dump ;)

Pollyana Nov 5th 2007 12:55 pm

The departure lounge in the International terminal..... ;)

Pollyana Nov 5th 2007 1:01 pm

You probably won't get many serious replies tonight, its nearly midnight and not many idiots are up late like me!
We had a police woman round earlier tonight about a burglary we'd had and she said she would try and return this evening, how late would we be up. When I said "oh at least 12.30-1am", she stared at me in frank horror, and then said "I wouldn't call at a silly time, seriously would you still be up if I come back at 8.30 or will you be asleep by then?" :eek:
Welcome to Queensland, world of dark evenings and everyone asleep by teatime.

And for what I love the most (apart from the departure lounge) - sitting here listening to the rain teeming down outside. Its a wonderful noise, long may it last :)

Clippy Nov 5th 2007 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5513422)
You probably won't get many serious replies tonight, its nearly midnight and not many idiots are up late like me!
We had a police woman round earlier tonight about a burglary we'd had and she said she would try and return this evening, how late would we be up. When I said "oh at least 12.30-1am", she stared at me in frank horror, and then said "I wouldn't call at a silly time, seriously would you still be up if I come back at 8.30 or will you be asleep by then?" :eek:
Welcome to Queensland, world of dark evenings and everyone asleep by teatime.

And for what I love the most (apart from the departure lounge) - sitting here listening to the rain teeming down outside. Its a wonderful noise, long may it last :)

Lol, oh my god how am I gonna cope with the early nights :eek: I predict even longer hours spent on the internet :unsure:

brissybound Nov 5th 2007 1:21 pm

Forgot what time it is over there! :D

Is it really a dump!!?? :(

Pollyana Nov 5th 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by brissybound (Post 5513473)
Forgot what time it is over there! :D

Is it really a dump!!?? :(

Don't take my views as gospel - some people come here and love it, some come here and hate it. It's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't suit you :) just make sure you read the upbeat posts as well as the downers!
And trust me, before long you will adore the sound of rain ;)

Clippy Nov 5th 2007 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5513488)
Don't take my views as gospel - some people come here and love it, some come here and hate it. It's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't suit you :) just make sure you read the upbeat posts as well as the downers!

I do love the sound of rain :) Heavy rain :)

Reminds me of Glastonbury :rofl:

Pollyana Nov 5th 2007 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies (Post 5513494)
I do love the sound of rain :) Heavy rain :)

Reminds me of Glastonbury :rofl:

Mud is less sticky here as a general rule :rofl:

Clippy Nov 5th 2007 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5513498)
Mud is less sticky here as a general rule :rofl:

Lol, ah well, as long as I can roll in it I don't care :rofl:

jce Nov 5th 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5513392)
The departure lounge in the International terminal..... ;)

LOL - that has to be the worst departure lounge in any so called international airport. Theres nothing there - few seats, pizza joint, small shop. :rofl: I was stunned at how bad it is. Its no Changi :ohmy:

One thing i love is the live music scene. Brisbane was listed by Rolling Stone magazine as one of the top three emerging places for music - loads of venues, plenty of bands from Oz and abroad - and in quality terms they are street ahead of the UK venues!

Also love that they built a beach in the city centre cause its too far to the coast :eek:

The new ish cultural centre on the southbank is also coming along. A huge Andy Warhol exhibition there soon.

marysidey Nov 5th 2007 2:34 pm

The sunshine the people and my dog Barry !!

brissybound Nov 5th 2007 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5513488)

Why were are you based?

The only city I never made it too when i was last there were melbourne and Brisbane.

I loved Darwin and Perth. Hated Sydney.

Its amazing what some folk love to what others hate. ;)

jad n rich Nov 5th 2007 8:33 pm

Joy and bliss in brisbane:D

That would be me the next 2 months, removing wallpaper from the 1960's house we bought there as brisbane work base. Hideous green and pink flowered stuff in every room with a stylish touch of mirror tiles and a mushroom seat fitted into the staircase. Plus green shag pile carpet. Very retro:D

On the plus side its overlooking woody point pier which is being demolished to make way for a new pier with an artifical reef:thumbsup: and whole new foreshore development.

Wallpaper removal tips or volunteers welcome.

Pollyana Nov 5th 2007 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jce (Post 5513619)
LOL - that has to be the worst departure lounge in any so called international airport. Theres nothing there - few seats, pizza joint, small shop. :rofl: I was stunned at how bad it is. Its no Changi :ohmy:

It may be a god-awful lounge in the bigger picture (Changi is heaven, isn't it, compared to Brisbane) but its one of my favourite spots......and my fave words are " now boarding......"

Originally Posted by brissybound (Post 5514240)
Why were are you based?

The only city I never made it too when i was last there were melbourne and Brisbane.

I loved Darwin and Perth. Hated Sydney.

Its amazing what some folk love to what others hate. ;)

I'm on the northside of Brisbane. Rather be in Melbourne if I have to be on the north island somewhere, but I would greatly prefer Tassie if I had an open choice :)