Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To all successful sellers....How did you do it?

To all successful sellers....How did you do it?

Old Jul 31st 2005, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice
Default To all successful sellers....How did you do it?

Any advice on this house selling lark would be great!!!

Like many others we are really fed up!!

What made your house sell??

Roni
Old Jul 31st 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all
Default Re: To all successful sellers....How did you do it?

Originally Posted by Aus4us

Roni
You sound just like me really really fed up by this whole house selling lark,

We've been 4 sale now 5mths and no luck yet, we've got our visa that came in May and its burning a hole in our pocket (we wanna go now) We've got till March B4 we would have 2 validate and i really hope we dont have 2 do that.

Our estate agent said its not our house its just the housing market it's really really slow, we've had 2 offers so far but 2 B honest they were insults, it's defo a buyer's market.

Good luck Ive sent you some good luck Karma, we've gotta try anything haven't we.

Chin up we will get there one day, I'm like you though so fed up at the mo.

Paula.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 1:26 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Do all that stuff that house doctor says !

We spent a fortune (relatively) on new throws, paint, decorating, accessories , pictures, carpets, (the whole house was re-carpeted) etc so the house looked like a show home. All of this stuff went in the skip before we moved but it sold the house.

Make sure your house is the best looking when people look round nothing out of place.

And be realistic about the money - if you want to come to Auz and someone offers you 10k less than your asking price - then if you can afford it take it. You can move on with your life.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 1:33 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We have spent months redecorating inside and out as well as being priced right.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 1:41 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Roni
Make sure you have the best house in the street We were lucky in a way because where we lived, one side of the street was built by a different builder and our side was better. We had done a stack of improvements in our time there too, including uPVC, having a double garage built and sorting out the front and side gardens. Our house stood out a mile from the others in the street.

Decorate - magnolia, butterscotch, whatever you want to call it, keep everything plain and simple. Take down the 300 school pictures of the kids. You may be proud of them but potential buyers won't be intersted.

If there's a particular time of day when the sun makes the draining board in the kitchen sparkle, try to manipulate your viewing times to suit. Or when the sun is shining over most of the garden.

We would take the car out of the garage too, just so they could see how big a space it was.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We went with multi-agents all in different areas but close to where we live, it just gives you a bigger catchment area. They did it on a no sale no fee, so we think tried that little harder to sell the house to get the money. Three different agents also means that we had constant cover in the local property newspaper.We know its stressful but hang on in and it will go, good luck
Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:06 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Roni

I have had my house on the market since last September.
In May a friend came round and insisted that I remove every single ornament, photo, and picture and hide them away, had 3 viewers that weekend and all 3 offered and we accepted one for the full asking price.
Unfortunately that buyer lost their buyer a few weeks before exchange so had to go back on the market 3 weeks ago, 3 viewers the first week and 2 offers one of which we accepted as they had sold theirs.
I wish that I had followed her tips last September.
I was totally amazed at the outcome of stripping our house bare, our house is anything but cluttered as I am quite ruthless and have a clear out at least twice a year, I think it was more to do with de-personalising the house.
Good Luck!!
Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

All we did was paint the front, we have no neutral colours only really bright ones
we suggested painting them to the estate agent he said don't bother it wont make a difference he was right we sold it to the first viewer on the first day and had other offers.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Take down the 300 school pictures of the kids. You may be proud of them but potential buyers won't be intersted.
i think i may have just detected our weak spot

thanks wayne!!
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:13 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
All we did was paint the front, we have no neutral colours only really bright ones
we suggested painting them to the estate agent he said don't bother it wont make a difference he was right we sold it to the first viewer on the first day and had other offers.

This is really interesting as a previous house we had for sale was painted neutrally throughout and we had no offers in over a year Eventually I got fed up in living with magnolia walls so painted the kitchen lime green and the utility room bright orange. It looked hideous but we got an offer straight away.

The house we're currently selling is also painted neutrally and we've had no offers..... so maybe it's time to check for left-over lime green paint in the garage
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:17 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
This is really interesting as a previous house we had for sale was painted neutrally throughout and we had no offers in over a year Eventually I got fed up in living with magnolia walls so painted the kitchen lime green and the utility room bright orange. It looked hideous but we got an offer straight away.

The house we're currently selling is also painted neutrally and we've had no offers..... so maybe it's time to check for left-over lime green paint in the garage
To be honest our buyers hated the colours, but it didn't stop them buying it.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

our EA told us to paint over my pink wall (you know the one!!) but i thought *bollox* it really sets off the cast iron fire etc etc and besides, how thick do you have to be not to buy a house because you dont like the colour of paint!?!?!?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rooksie
our EA told us to paint over my pink wall (you know the one!!) but i thought *bollox* it really sets off the cast iron fire etc etc and besides, how thick do you have to be not to buy a house because you dont like the colour of paint!?!?!?
Yeah like they know what they're talking about, if they were that good they'd of sold your house by now
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:25 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the buyers liked the colours in our last house either but it made the house stand out so they remembered it. I think they'd just looked at too many magnolia painted houses that day and ours was the only one that stuck in their minds!
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:26 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Roni
Making it 10 grand cheaper than any eqivilant on my estate. In fact mine ended up more ie has conservatory and garage and some dont,for less. It put it in a price bracket a FTB could afford. They looked at mine(my buyers) and no others up here as they couldnt afford the others..Since Mines sold ive notice others are starting to drop their prices,lucky for me they are too late. Oh and I go with the declutter/magnolia look I recon too...

GOOD LUCK...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.