Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To all on the Student visa route

To all on the Student visa route

Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road
Default To all on the Student visa route

Just wanted to start a thread to find out how everyone on the student route are getting on? It would be lovely to find out how things are going for people.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To all on the Student visa route

My employer has said they will sponsor me for an RSMS visa, but until it is in my sweaty little hand I won't believe it. EVERY time I get to a point, just before immigration changes it. I full expect it to happen again.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We're going home on 9th August!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:16 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice

Well we are about to apply for the graduate visa then I will try and find someone to sponsor me (hairdresser!) failing that much to my husbands disgust we will be off home!!!!! It doesn't bother me anymore, we knew the risks coming on a student visa and we have had a great experience whatever happens!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
We're going home on 9th August!
Ohhh no, that is terrible.
Where abouts were you at again with the process?

I am pretty resigned to having to return, so if the sponsorship DOES work out it will be a bonus.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Basicallly hubby due to finish in January next year.

He's wall and floor tiling. He can finish the course in a college a 5 minute drive from where we will re-settle at a fraction of the course fees paid here.

No one will sponsor him as construction is just too up and down.

Regional sponsorship was just laughed at when we were down South (of Perth) asking around. Asked people we'd never met and friends who all said the same. No way - tradies are sub-contractors/self employed.

The 28 day rule on a 457 is just way too scarey - my work tried to do it but in the end management wouldn't increase my hours to full-time. Even if they did my boss said it would be a 55-60 hour week - no thanks!

From what I have read, Julia Gillard kicked off all the changes earlier in the year. Since becoming PM she's said she wants to keep Australia small. If she's elected this year then we personally feel further changes are coming.

A bit of a rant with this statement but here goes!

If immigration don't want students gaining PR I just wish they would say no but they continue to take money from people and change the rules as they go. If they changed the rules for future students then that would have been fairer but then we knew the risks before we came out.

We've had a big adventure (and expensive!) but decided to head back while we can still afford a reasonable life back in the UK. Our hearts are just not in it anymore although it will be hard saying goodbye.

How's your plans coming along?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Basicallly hubby due to finish in January next year.

He's wall and floor tiling. He can finish the course in a college a 5 minute drive from where we will re-settle at a fraction of the course fees paid here.

No one will sponsor him as construction is just too up and down.

Regional sponsorship was just laughed at when we were down South (of Perth) asking around. Asked people we'd never met and friends who all said the same. No way - tradies are sub-contractors/self employed.

The 28 day rule on a 457 is just way too scarey - my work tried to do it but in the end management wouldn't increase my hours to full-time. Even if they did my boss said it would be a 55-60 hour week - no thanks!

From what I have read, Julia Gillard kicked off all the changes earlier in the year. Since becoming PM she's said she wants to keep Australia small. If she's elected this year then we personally feel further changes are coming.

A bit of a rant with this statement but here goes!

If immigration don't want students gaining PR I just wish they would say no but they continue to take money from people and change the rules as they go. If they changed the rules for future students then that would have been fairer but then we knew the risks before we came out.

We've had a big adventure (and expensive!) but decided to head back while we can still afford a reasonable life back in the UK. Our hearts are just not in it anymore although it will be hard saying goodbye.

How's your plans coming along?
Good luck guys with where you are at the moment and where you are headed!! We're still on the bridging visa, applied for graduates mid November. Just going with the flow just now, hubbie a bit 'antsy' about the future n we have talked about heading to Canada if we have no way of staying here. . . Just need to see what the future has in store n hope that we don't need to leave.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Good luck Mandy!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck Mandy!
Thanx. . .and to you ;-)

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your updates. I really feel for you all, with all the hoops you have to jump through. We came back after a year on the same visa, but decided that the visa wasn't right for us, (too expensive)!! We needed to come back to UK with a little money to start over again. We have settled back into life in the UK, but i we are constantly thinking of life in Aus and after my studies are hoping to go back to, this time on a permanant visa.
I hope things settle with all the rule changes and hope that things pan out for you guys. All the best.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandyp
Good luck guys with where you are at the moment and where you are headed!! We're still on the bridging visa, applied for graduates mid November. Just going with the flow just now, hubbie a bit 'antsy' about the future n we have talked about heading to Canada if we have no way of staying here. . . Just need to see what the future has in store n hope that we don't need to leave.

Cheers
Mandy
Hiya Mand,

Glad to hear you're still as positive as ever, i really do hope things go your way and you don't have to leave.
I've been meaning to ask you a few questions about the Gold Coast, i was just wandering which part you settled in and which areas you would reccommend to live. Friends of ours live in Robina and reccommend that, i just wanted your opinion, cheers, Lisa
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bradburns2
Hiya Mand,

Glad to hear you're still as positive as ever, i really do hope things go your way and you don't have to leave.
I've been meaning to ask you a few questions about the Gold Coast, i was just wandering which part you settled in and which areas you would reccommend to live. Friends of ours live in Robina and reccommend that, i just wanted your opinion, cheers, Lisa
Hiya, yeah we always remain grateful for what we do have which makes it far easier to stay positive!! Don't get me wrong, still get cranky and get a bit down at times, but shrug it off!! I've taken a wee break from work at the moment as it was stressing me out. . Fab money but just getting me down tho may need to go back as the bank balance is taking a hit big time lol!!

Anyway we are in Pacific Pines and have been in the same rental since we first arrived over here. Fab area and other than living by the beach down the southern end would be quite happy to stay here!

Hope things work out for you!!
Cheers
Mandy
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:30 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you're saying but otoh Immo can only apply the rules they have been given by the government. And no-one important cares if prospective immigrants and students get messed around - they don't vote, they don't pay union dues and they don't make big political donations.

It's been a bit insidious (?) - on one hand, students are recruited to Australia with heavy hints that if you complete your course OK, you'll probably be allowed to stay one way or the other, but on the other hand, students are told that their student visa doesn't let them stay afterwards and one should assume they're leaving after graduation.

Julia "I'm the right type of immigrant" Gillard is a rat. The whole refugee-bashing programme is a statistically irrelevant issue to act as a smokescreen to obscure her coronation by the mining companies; and by promising the electorate an East Timor or Palau solution before those states have agreed to anything, she's basically given them a blank cheque to name their price and fleece the Commonwealth - which is to say, the taxpayer.

People will look back at Rudd and wish he'd never left. The guy spoke dorkily - so what?