Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

all ready to go but little money

all ready to go but little money

Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

famousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nice
Default all ready to go but little money

Hi after getting visas,had validation trip for all six of us we now find finances limited.Whilst over in Adelaide had three job interviews as electrician all were successful but with little funds i am back in uk.What does anyone think is the minimum fund you need is,and how quickly and how do they calculate mortgages.Any thoughts or comments gratefully recieved.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: all ready to go but little money

What do you class as little money? I'd class it as about £500. Some people would class £20,000 as little money.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

famousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nice

If we were lucky about £3k
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by famousflo
If we were lucky about £3k
Is thay £3k after you pay for flights?

If not your not going to get 6 people to Oz with £3k as one way flight are nearly as dear as returns. It is cheaper to fly to Oz mid april-end june though.

One option is if you have a job offer then you go and when finances permit bring the rest of the family over.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It would seem highly premature to be worrying about mortgages right now. I would be wondering how you would pay for six flights and initial accommodation with only £3k to play with.

If hubby came over first to start work and get settled in would you have an income back in the UK to live on?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

The 3k would be after flights and maybe 1months accom costs.Its just the original idea was to have more.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly? Well, of course, if you are determined and happy to tighten your belt, then it can be done, but it wont be comfortable. Just getting a rental (bearing in mind that in some places you will be forced to spend at least $700 pw for the temporary accommodation while you look for somewhere) then paying the bond and the month upfront will take most of that - and then did you want a car? They are incredibly expensive here and you wont get a banger for that. Then add the cost of utilities, internet, phones, getting the kids set up for school - it's a pretty long list!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we arrived with around that amount of money after paying the bond plus first months rent for the house. We have 2 children to kit out for school and my OH has a company car (he started work just a couple of days after we arrived). It was tight getting the house kitted out with the bare minimum and getting through the first month but we did it because we really wanted to be here. We made sure we got a house where I could walk the boys to school and walk to the local shops to get essentials and then got me a car once we had regular money coming in. Hope it all works out for you
Sonia
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:30 pm
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all

Hi after getting visas,had validation trip for all six of us we now find finances limited.Whilst over in Adelaide had three job interviews as electrician all were successful but with little funds i am back in uk.What does anyone think is the minimum fund you need is,and how quickly and how do they calculate mortgages.Any thoughts or comments gratefully recieved.

I would say it's doable with £3k if you have a job lined up. We came over with less and managed purely because hubby had work.

Do you know about this?
http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/im...ommodation.jsp
Might be worth looking into, maybe make things abit easier for when you arrive.

Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:31 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I you are coming over to a job, that's a big plus.

Child Benefit /Family Tax Benefit payments will also help (if you are PR - they are paid fortnightly and will probably be around $300-$500).
http://www.familyassist.gov.au
http://www.centrelink.gov.au

If you rent, and you can get Family Tax benefit, you'll also get rent assistance (also paid fortnightly).

Don't forget to reclaim your UK tax you've paid (you should do this before leaving), you'll be surprised how fast they give you the rebate and it can come in useful (we got all our tax back, and it can be surprising just how much you paid!).

Last edited by coolshadows; Aug 5th 2010 at 10:33 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

If you have a job to come to and only need a months living expenses then I wouldn't be concerned and just get yourself over here.

If you don't have a job and a start date, I would suggest saving more before coming across.

It's expensive in Australia.

I came across with about 11k but I already had a job and that went quick. We bought a car, and set up a few bits and bobs in the house, it soon whittled down, 3k won't get you far.

Cars are expensive out here (I bought a 98 Toyota Camry for 5k, anything below this price and you really are buying a shed).

You'll need a months rent up front plus security fee which is a months rent so budget 2 months rent up front.

Do you have somewhere to stay when you first get here or is it hotels or something until you find a rental? rentals can be notoriously difficult to find depending on how picky you are, it took us 6 weeks to find one we were happy with.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go there on holiday with that amount but to live no way all I can say is you must be desperate to go.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:58 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugene43
I would go there on holiday with that amount but to live no way all I can say is you must be desperate to go.
i have to agree.
i think we spent 3 grand in the first 2 weeks lol

just guessing at numbers

just say $500 a week for rent
you will need about $2000 for bond plus a week up front.
hotel acc when you land about $600 for say a week
even if you buy a shitbox you will need to spend about $2000, then rego say $300ish for 6 months
school uniforms?
basic furniture to get you by till your stuff arrives? (plates, cups and the usual pish you need)
phone bond ?
leccy bond?
fuel till you get paid?
weekly shopping? i think our first shop to stock the house was around 800 bucks and that was over 6 years ago
mobile phones?
i could go on all day. im sure you have listed the things you will need when you first arrive. im sure theres a thread on the things you need to do when you get here somewhere on this forum?
where to live will be the biggest thing. next to the school so the kids can walk or next to work so your partner can take the kids to school.
oh and remember, you will have told your kids that they are coming here for a better life? they might expect it as soon as they land

im not trying to piss on your fire here. i just dont wanna see someone make the big move and struggle from day one.
there is another thead on here where people have made it with very little. i'll see if i can dig it out. ah found the thread title HERE
i wish you loads of luck no matter what you do though

soapy

Last edited by soapy©; Aug 6th 2010 at 8:08 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

bethnphoebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I'm a single parent emigrating in October. I'm going with approximately £5000 which is not much at all but am prepared to work hard to build up our life over there. The main issue for me will be securing a job before I go- If I can do that i'll be much more relaxed than emigrating on £5000 with no job!

One thing that has helped me is that we are now about to move in with my parents until we go which means that I can send my shipping on ahead and hopefully there won't be too big a gap before our goods arrive and I won't have to purchase too much.
Beth
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:35 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't Adelaide still have migrant housing? I know not everyone can get it but it may be worth looking into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.