Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

all ready to go but little money

all ready to go but little money

Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: all ready to go but little money

I think it's time you got realistic !!

Would you consider moving to the other side of England without a job with just that much ? I don't think so many would ..........

Australia isn't going anywhere, it'll still be here when you've saved a bit more ......... just remember - There is no safety net (social security) until you have been here for 2 years
Old Aug 6th 2010, 9:55 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by famousflo
Hi after getting visas,had validation trip for all six of us we now find finances limited.Whilst over in Adelaide had three job interviews as electrician all were successful but with little funds i am back in uk.What does anyone think is the minimum fund you need is,and how quickly and how do they calculate mortgages.Any thoughts or comments gratefully recieved.
I was $60k in debt when I landed ... get some credit cards and go nuts. You only live once ...
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:00 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Doesn't Adelaide still have migrant housing? I know not everyone can get it but it may be worth looking into.
I believe that On Arrival Accommodation has been scrapped (or is in the process of being) and they are selling off the houses.

The info is still on the website though.... http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/im...ommodation.jsp

Last edited by coolshadows; Aug 6th 2010 at 10:03 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 10:08 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I was $60k in debt when I landed ... get some credit cards and go nuts. You only live once ...
I remember someone who was in debt to the tune of £40k on credit cards. They kept on spending telling me, "you have to spend it while you have it". Obviously the term CREDIT is lost on some people.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I remember someone who was in debt to the tune of £40k on credit cards. They kept on spending telling me, "you have to spend it while you have it". Obviously the term CREDIT is lost on some people.
Hehehe, that is how I got into debt

Paid it all back though and suffice to say it's Visa Debit from here in ...
Old Aug 7th 2010, 2:09 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Hehehe, that is how I got into debt

Paid it all back though and suffice to say it's Visa Debit from here in ...
Me too.

It does make for interesting conversations in the bank when they're trying to get me to have one

"Be gone, you foul witch, spawn of Satan. Never again, I tell you, never again."
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:36 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Me too.

It does make for interesting conversations in the bank when they're trying to get me to have one

"Be gone, you foul witch, spawn of Satan. Never again, I tell you, never again."
They are alright if you pay 'em off every month but I don't have that kind of disclipline

The only loan we plan to have is one for the house.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:22 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

im sure when we moved here we needed a credit card for some things. cant remember what it was, but i will ask the boss.
i might be just making that up though (auld age inat no ) lol
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it...

if you put your mind to it and NOTHING goes wrong... it'll be tight and it'll be uncomfortable... but if you're working from the go get and live according to your income then it should be good...

You do know that 3k wont get you a 'decent' car here dont you?

will there be a vehicle attached to your job?

Will there be more funds to follow once you are here?

as for mortgages... you'll need a deposit and 6 months savings history here... ie a savings account that you save into... and that isn't easy when you first arrive and you have forgotten the tin openeer, and have to stock a pantry from scratch and you have to get health insurance etc etc etc

You'd be very brave doing it...
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:20 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
You can do it...

if you put your mind to it and NOTHING goes wrong... it'll be tight and it'll be uncomfortable... but if you're working from the go get and live according to your income then it should be good...

You do know that 3k wont get you a 'decent' car here dont you?

will there be a vehicle attached to your job?

Will there be more funds to follow once you are here?

as for mortgages... you'll need a deposit and 6 months savings history here... ie a savings account that you save into... and that isn't easy when you first arrive and you have forgotten the tin openeer, and have to stock a pantry from scratch and you have to get health insurance etc etc etc

You'd be very brave doing it...
It's not as easy as that, surely? Wouldn't you need proof of income (payslips, etc) too?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If your going to work as a tradie are they not expecting you to have a vehicle? Most would.

Tools, licences etc, just find out what your work set up costs are going to be, and what they expect you to have to meet the requirements for the job.

Time required to obtain ( any ) licences, permits, cards, courses........... to do the job. Will you be able to start week one or is it going to take time to 'comply' with all the requirements here.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 10th 2010 at 12:27 am.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:57 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

see post number nine.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: all ready to go but little money

We couldn't sell our UK house, so arrived with only ~£1,000. It didn't go far, but it went far enough. Fortunately we'd already bought an Australian house a couple of years before we came here, and we had our Australian credit cards waiting for us, which helped.

Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Voyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to allVoyager 3 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I you are coming over to a job, that's a big plus.

Child Benefit /Family Tax Benefit payments will also help (if you are PR - they are paid fortnightly and will probably be around $300-$500).
http://www.familyassist.gov.au
http://www.centrelink.gov.au

If you rent, and you can get Family Tax benefit, you'll also get rent assistance (also paid fortnightly).

Don't forget to reclaim your UK tax you've paid (you should do this before leaving), you'll be surprised how fast they give you the rebate and it can come in useful (we got all our tax back, and it can be surprising just how much you paid!).
Can you get a UK tax rebate if emmigrating? oooh tell me more!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager 3
Can you get a UK tax rebate if emmigrating? oooh tell me more!

Fill in form P85 and send it off to the inland revenue. If you have been paid under the PAYE scheme then you will only have received a pro rated amount of the annual personal allowance, you are entitled to all of it. So you will have over paid tax and hence will get a rebate. It should be a decent amount at this stage in the year, as the year progresses the rebate would get smaller and smaller as you will have been using up your personal allowance.