Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

all my questions answered in one shot

all my questions answered in one shot

Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:37 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default all my questions answered in one shot

hi there every one ,i was wondering if any one could help me?me,my wife and my children (2,they are 6 and 2)are all moving to perth and i wanted to ask someone who is or has been in the same situation to look at my case and tell me what they think?.
i started a thread not so long ago on bricklayers and from it all my questions on bricklaying seem to have been answered,which i am more than great full for.
what i have been made aware from it is that Australia offers a better way of living for me and my children but not more money.i realise that i could earn more here in pounds but if i am living in oz then who cares i need to know how far my dollars will take me!!i will be more than happy to see the back of the pound .

i would like to lay my cards on the table and ask a few questions and be done with it once and for all.i am sure that it will also help a lot of members as well as me?

i am selling everything i have here and i expect to pay for nearly all my house in perth,this would leave me with :

$100000 mortgage
car would be paid for
all furniture would be coming from england.

so i suppose this leaves us with only living expenses and a small mortgage no dept.

i would be really great full if some one could tell us if i would be earning say`$1200 a week on average(minus the dreaded tax). how far this will stretch on every thing else we need to live on from week to week.

we dont expect to be eating out three or four times a week and be buying all top name clothes,but we would like to be doing all the simple things in life like walks on the beach etc.we believe this is what Australia offer us,more family time.

please we would be glad of any help,and someone could save us a lot of time and money.

with thanks.

Last edited by aston man; Aug 19th 2006 at 6:45 am.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: all my questions answered in one shot

Originally Posted by aston man
$12500 mortgage
Hey, I don't know crap about Australia, but my intuition would be to keep some cash and get a bigger mortgage. Good luck!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

I agree, have sent you pm, Nicola
Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't come and try it out, then how would you feel?
Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

hi there every one ,i was wondering if any one could help me?me,my wife and my children (2,they are 6 and 2)are all moving to perth and i wanted to ask someone who is or has been in the same situation to look at my case and tell me what they think?.
i started a thread not so long ago on bricklayers and from it all my questions on bricklaying seem to have been answered,which i am more than great full for.
what i have been made aware from it is that Australia offers a better way of living for me and my children but not more money.i realise that i could earn more here in pounds but if i am living in oz then who cares i need to know how far my dollars will take me!!i will be more than happy to see the back of the pound .

i would like to lay my cards on the table and ask a few questions and be done with it once and for all.i am sure that it will also help a lot of members as well as me?

i am selling everything i have here and i expect to pay for nearly all my house in perth,this would leave me with :

$100000 mortgage
car would be paid for
all furniture would be coming from england.

so i suppose this leaves us with only living expenses and a small mortgage no dept.

i would be really great full if some one could tell us if i would be earning say`$1200 a week on average(minus the dreaded tax). how far this will stretch on every thing else we need to live on from week to week.

we dont expect to be eating out three or four times a week and be buying all top name clothes,but we would like to be doing all the simple things in life like walks on the beach etc.we believe this is what Australia offer us,more family time.

please we would be glad of any help,and someone could save us a lot of time and money.

with thanks.
Ok, all I can tell you is for a no doc home loan (for those with no credit history here ) $135,000 over 30 years is $930 per month intrest rate at mo for me is 7.75% ish

To work out your after tax take home use this link just put it is as last tax year 2006 http://calculators.ato.gov.au/script...xcalc/main.asp

on top of that you get around a minimum of $0.43 per hour that your child goes to kindy or daycare up to a max of 50 or 60 hours per week

We have a Ford falcon V6 4 ltr and the reggo is around $648 a year this has 3 party insurance built in can't remeber how much extra for fully comp

To insure house to be rebuilt to cost of $230000 and contents is $606 per year (we have some expensive art cover in that)

We have extra life insurance through super which cost around $8 - $9 per week

Hope this helps
Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:20 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Not very far nowadays. We spend roughly about $200 on groceries, $60 on fuel, $80 on entertainment/grog etc per week. What that is left after that is for house/car and bill expenses. All that is on a combined income not far short of that you say you have. Factor in education, childcare, clothes pocketmoney, medical expenses, etc for the two kids.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 19th 2006 at 7:22 am.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Miona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura about

$1,200gross pw will give you about $880 per week after tax. Below are the rough costs (all per week)

Mortgage $250
Food $200
Petrol $70
Car rego/service $30
Health insurance $50
Car insurance/house insurance $20
Electricity $20
Water $20
Rates $20
House maintenance $20
Pool maintenance $10
Clothes $20
Education $10
Home phone $15
Mobile X 2 $40 (you and the wife)

The above ads up to $795 giving you $105 disposable income however when you consider a family night at the local cinema will set you back $50 (not including popcorn!). It is not a lot of money. If you family income was only $1,200pw then you would also be entitled to some kind of family benefit if you have kids.

A lot of people live on a lot less than $1,200 pw but if you want to save up for a holiday back in England every now and then or upgrade your car etc then you might find it a bit of a struggle. All depends on your personal lifestyle of course.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 12:13 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miona
$1,200gross pw will give you about $880 per week after tax. Below are the rough costs (all per week)

Mortgage $250
Food $200
Petrol $70
Car rego/service $30
Health insurance $50
Car insurance/house insurance $20
Electricity $20
Water $20
Rates $20
House maintenance $20
Pool maintenance $10
Clothes $20
Education $10
Home phone $15
Mobile X 2 $40 (you and the wife)

The above ads up to $795 giving you $105 disposable income however when you consider a family night at the local cinema will set you back $50 (not including popcorn!). It is not a lot of money. If you family income was only $1,200pw then you would also be entitled to some kind of family benefit if you have kids.

A lot of people live on a lot less than $1,200 pw but if you want to save up for a holiday back in England every now and then or upgrade your car etc then you might find it a bit of a struggle. All depends on your personal lifestyle of course.
miona that was very nice of you.thanks for your help.

marcus
Old Aug 19th 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

butch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the rough

miona that was very nice of you.thanks for your help.

marcus
looks like michelle is going back to work :scared:
Old Aug 19th 2006, 5:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by butch&shell
looks like michelle is going back to work :scared:
and my mrs butch,it will take the pressure off me ,i wanted to go fishing at least once a week
Old Aug 19th 2006, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My husband is a brickie and I am also working part time at the moment. After tax and including family benefit we bring home $1500. We only have a $75k mortgage and hardly go out but we still find money tight. We've got a 3 year old and another on the way. My husband smokes, which he is giving up (so he keeps saying) and goes for a few beers after work on a Friday, but this is the extent of our social spending. $20 here and there on a take away or a toy/dvd/ etc. (you get the jist). To go out for a proper night out in the city for example is very expensive here (depending on how much you drink!) but when I went out for my hen night I spent $150 easily without even eating! :scared: I think blokes can easily spend $50-$75 in a couple of hours in the pub after work!! Don't really know where it goes, but honestly we don't have an extravagant lifestyle and never seem to have money left. Mind you, saying that, we don't go without. Hope this helps.

Jo