Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

for all the ladies

for all the ladies

Old Aug 7th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all
Default for all the ladies

i am just wondering.....
do they have regular smear tests in oz and breast screening as we do have to be careful or do you have to go to the docs and request these things?
Old Aug 7th 2005, 10:00 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: for all the ladies

Originally Posted by clanwylie
i am just wondering.....
do they have regular smear tests in oz and breast screening as we do have to be careful or do you have to go to the docs and request these things?
I've just had my 5-year smear done, but I suspect that by the time the next one is due, they'll be offering a vaccine as well. So I may well avoid that one.

Breast screening doesn't normally begin before 50, does it? I consider myself *breast aware* and have no risk factors, and I won't be seeking precautionary mammograms - wouldn't do that in the UK either, so I have had no reason to find out. If I find anything, I'll go and seek advice at that time.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clanwylie
i am just wondering.....
Most GP's will normally send you for a Pap smear and/or mammogram very two years. Mine keeps a calendar/schedule and sends me reminders whenever one was due, but I don't know if they all do that.

There is a fee for these, although Medicare pays part of the cost (sometimes all of the cost of the mammogram if the provider bulk-bills). I've always had to pay for the actual Pap smear test (the Path Lab sends a bill), but you get some of the cost back.

I believe free Breast screening (in NSW) is available to women over 50.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I've just had my 5-year smear done, but I suspect that by the time the next one is due, they'll be offering a vaccine as well. So I may well avoid that one.

Breast screening doesn't normally begin before 50, does it? I consider myself *breast aware* and have no risk factors, and I won't be seeking precautionary mammograms - wouldn't do that in the UK either, so I have had no reason to find out. If I find anything, I'll go and seek advice at that time.

Annual smears in Oz.

Don't know about breast checks, but my Dr found a lump when I was 21, an organised a mamogram & ultrasound for the next day, all medicare.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

In Vic, my doctor insists on giving a smear every 2 years- they think 5 years is far too long. And the central registry tracks you when you move (linked to medicare card perhaps??) so you can't forget!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 6:32 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Good question! I've had problems with smears etc over here (had treatment twice) and was wondering about this myself. Glad to hear there is a good system over there too. At the moment I have them every 12 months so hopefully I'll be able to continue that over there.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:07 am
BLC

In my experience all the health care received in NSW, Australia were first rate for "female" issues - laparoscopy, smears, etc.

Good luck
BLC

Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:12 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Good question