Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

all the help we can get!

all the help we can get!

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

The roast has a spectacular aura aboutThe roast has a spectacular aura aboutThe roast has a spectacular aura about
Question all the help we can get!

Although we are looking forward to the big move to Adelaide with our 3 kids we are encountering a few problems!!
The visa hasn't arrived yet as apparently DIMIA have mislaid our police checks and we may have to do some more
Our house is sold and the removal men have taken all that is dear to us"!
Unfortunately as we do not have a visa yet or an address to go to in Adelaide we cannot ship our belongings. The meet and greet people only allocate on arrival and as we are not employed yet we dont have an address for customs purposes!! Has anyone else come across the same problem?any advice would be much appreciated.
if ever i needed a few 'tinnies' its now!!
first time Ive posted and looking forward to hearing from you guys...
take care Howard
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really niceRach & Den is just really nice
Default Re: all the help we can get!

Originally Posted by The roast
Although we are looking forward to the big move to Adelaide with our 3 kids we are encountering a few problems!!
The visa hasn't arrived yet as apparently DIMIA have mislaid our police checks and we may have to do some more
Unfortunately as we do not have a visa yet or an address to go to in Adelaide we cannot ship our belongings. The meet and greet people only allocate on arrival and as we are not employed yet we dont have an address for customs purposes!! Has anyone else come across the same problem?any advice would be much appreciated.
take care Howard
Not in the same boat Howard, so unfortunately can't help. Just wanted to say welcome to BE. Thought you might be wondring if everyone was ignoring you with 18 views and no reply.

I'm sure someone will get back to you soon.

All the best, Den.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

take care Howard
how do you know they have been mislaid? I have read some peoples threads who have been declined. This is why we are stressing at mo! Do you think it is wise to ship before visa granted? No family or friends for the address?
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:46 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

take care Howard

Welcome to the best place to be if you want to meet some great ppl and get some sound advice.

Just saw you were from Bristol and we are are from Cheltenham, they have some great meets down your way we were at the last one.

Cnt really offer you any advice for the dilema you are in but i am sure that there is someone on here will be more than able to assist you in the matter.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

surfsup is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
Welcome to the best place to be if you want to meet some great ppl and get some sound advice.

Just saw you were from Bristol and we are are from Cheltenham, they have some great meets down your way we were at the last one.

Cnt really offer you any advice for the dilema you are in but i am sure that there is someone on here will be more than able to assist you in the matter.
Where about in chelt are you from we are bishops cleeve hoping to move to sydney
Old Aug 24th 2006, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: all the help we can get!

take care Howard
I had the same problem with the removals and was told to talk to the removal company, we had PSS. They should just ship using their own address, you will however need the visa as customs will want a copy with the paper work. Our stuff arrived before we did and I got myself a Oz mobile number before we left UK so we could be contacted. As soon as we had an address (which was the caravan park we booked for 2 weeks) we gave them that and customs had no problems. We were able to have it all delivered when we moved into our rental. You mention OAA don't just rely on getting it and have a back up plan as it is not always available. We were turned down and I know that many others have been too.

Ann
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:03 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

take care Howard
Can I just ask why you've done all this before you've actually got your visa? It could prove to be a very expensive mistake just 'assuming' that the visa will come through with no probs?

When we shipped our goods we put down the address of a local hotel which they were happy with. As soon as we got a permanent address we contacted them to change the details.

Good luck with everything!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have no real advice except to say good luck on your move.

As an ex Bristolian (all my life) I understand the need to get away from there

Good luck with everything and hope it goes smoothly
Old Aug 24th 2006, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

take care Howard
Sorry

Can't believe you've sold up and had the removals in before you've even got your visa or am I reading it wrong? It could take months yet to come through :scared:

The best of luck with your move and I hope the visa comes through soon. If I could help I would!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

We did not have an address at this end when our stuff was shipped, we did have our visas though. We used Crown. We contacted them at this end after we had found a place to rent.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:48 am
Just Joined

The roast has a spectacular aura aboutThe roast has a spectacular aura aboutThe roast has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: all the help we can get!

its not as bad as it sounds! we wanted to move anyway and our stuff is in storage in UK. we were told by the immigration consultants and our case officer that all is well and our visa should have been with us three weeks ago. Only just been told that the police checks have been mislaid. There is proof that they have been sent and received!. just hope its sorted soon, there was thunder and lightening here!!!! cheers
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice
Question Re: all the help we can get!

Originally Posted by annn
I had the same problem with the removals and was told to talk to the removal company, we had PSS. They should just ship using their own address, you will however need the visa as customs will want a copy with the paper work. Our stuff arrived before we did and I got myself a Oz mobile number before we left UK so we could be contacted. As soon as we had an address (which was the caravan park we booked for 2 weeks) we gave them that and customs had no problems. We were able to have it all delivered when we moved into our rental. You mention OAA don't just rely on getting it and have a back up plan as it is not always available. We were turned down and I know that many others have been too.

Ann
Hi Ann

This is really useful, could I ask if you don't mind how you or where you got an Oz mobile number before you left?

Thanks
Jo
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossy
Hi Ann

This is really useful, could I ask if you don't mind how you or where you got an Oz mobile number before you left?

Thanks
Jo

You can buy them on e-bay, just type in oz sim card or red sim and some should come up.

Alternatively you can get some really cheap phones out here, I paid $149 for mine and had it switched on in 15 mins. You can even get them from the supermarket.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC
You can buy them on e-bay, just type in oz sim card or red sim and some should come up.

Alternatively you can get some really cheap phones out here, I paid $149 for mine and had it switched on in 15 mins. You can even get them from the supermarket.
Great thanks sounds ideal

Really quick response thank you
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossy
Great thanks sounds ideal

Really quick response thank you
No worries

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.