Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is all the hard work done by just one half???!!!

Wikiposts

Is all the hard work done by just one half???!!!

Old Oct 16th 2005, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is all the hard work done by just one half???!!!

It is my hubby that has to do the TRA, so I have assisted where I can but sometimes its just more beneficial for me to keep the kids out of the way to let him get on with it. I did most of the research initially but now I feel its pretty much between us. He does the work but I tell him what to do , I have sent him to work with a 'to do' list . You can only have one boss so it will have to be me!!! If your hubby doesnt like computers he may actually be feeling left out and not know how he can assist you and as we all know most blokes need clear instructions and are not very good at reading our minds (sorry for the generalisation and apologise to the few blokes that this does not apply to )So give him a written list It'll all come good in the end and you are obviously doing a good job like your hubby says
Old Oct 16th 2005, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

With us, all the boring work (tax returns, insurance policies, foreign exchange, pensions etc) is done by one half, while all the nicer things, like lokking at houses and cars and boats is done by the other in the spirit of him supposedly helping me !

We had to spend 5 months doing our house up earlier in the year to sell it, and my husband did 90% of that, so I guess he's done his share of the work

And it is his manual skill that is getting us in to Oz, so I can't complain really. Occasionally I give him something boring to sort out, but I usually end up doing it myself eventually !

We are in our last 6 weeks in the UK and are so busy that we barely seem to have any quality time for each other at the moment. We are planning to take all of December as a holiday though, so hopefully this will tip the scales a little. It is exciting, but sooooooooo stressful as well !
Old Oct 16th 2005, 11:52 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xgeminix
I know exactlywhat you mean, I 've never known my house so untidy before I joined BE, and I'm sure my weight gain is partly due to sitting infront of the computer all day 'researching'!!

I'm the one who sorts things out, always has been and always will be I expect, hubby excuse is 'well you know what you're doing'. He's not a 'form filler' so I guess it'll be me filling in all his job application forms when we get to Oz....while he's sitting by the pool!!

Jude xx

Er Jude, are you and I twins seperated at birth?????

My house also has never been so bad apart from during packing/unpacking times! My weight has also increased. And, apart from nagging him (lots) to get the ACS forms done, making him chase people up for references etc, I have handled everything else. I filled in the application, all he had to was sign in the righ place. I contacted DHL and made the arrangements, I did the tracking. I have done all the question asking on the website.

Where was he this weekend when I was busy running stuff to the jumble sale, sorting out stuff for e-bay, sorting stuff to take or to throw? He was out fishing overnight with his mate!! Ok so he took the two eldest with him, but the excuse that "this will be the last time" doesn't really wash, cos his mate is applying to transfer with the police and may be there before us!!!

Debbie, I take comfort from the fact that if I do it all, I KNOW it will have been done properly.

Anyway, that's the end of my NAAFI break, there is more stuff in the attic I need to go through now.

Have a good day all.

Shirley
Old Oct 16th 2005, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy
With us, all the boring work (tax returns, insurance policies, foreign exchange, pensions etc) is done by one half, while all the nicer things, like lokking at houses and cars and boats is done by the other in the spirit of him supposedly helping me !

We had to spend 5 months doing our house up earlier in the year to sell it, and my husband did 90% of that, so I guess he's done his share of the work

And it is his manual skill that is getting us in to Oz, so I can't complain really. Occasionally I give him something boring to sort out, but I usually end up doing it myself eventually !

We are in our last 6 weeks in the UK and are so busy that we barely seem to have any quality time for each other at the moment. We are planning to take all of December as a holiday though, so hopefully this will tip the scales a little. It is exciting, but sooooooooo stressful as well !
hi izzy,

now you've come to mention it, we've been getting the house ready for selling in the spring and he has been working really hard on the outside of the house, so i suppose i could say he's doing his bit!

good luck with your move izzy

debbie
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Er Jude, are you and I twins seperated at birth?????

My house also has never been so bad apart from during packing/unpacking times! My weight has also increased. And, apart from nagging him (lots) to get the ACS forms done, making him chase people up for references etc, I have handled everything else. I filled in the application, all he had to was sign in the righ place. I contacted DHL and made the arrangements, I did the tracking. I have done all the question asking on the website.

Where was he this weekend when I was busy running stuff to the jumble sale, sorting out stuff for e-bay, sorting stuff to take or to throw? He was out fishing overnight with his mate!! Ok so he took the two eldest with him, but the excuse that "this will be the last time" doesn't really wash, cos his mate is applying to transfer with the police and may be there before us!!!

Debbie, I take comfort from the fact that if I do it all, I KNOW it will have been done properly.

Anyway, that's the end of my NAAFI break, there is more stuff in the attic I need to go through now.

Have a good day all.

Shirley
yes, im off now, havent even washed lasts night supper pots!!!

thanks again for all your replies

debs x
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:02 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
I'm just wondering if its just me or are any of you going through the same?!

I love coming on expats most of the time when i can and think i've met some truely nice people who i cant begin to thank for there help and support over the past year.

I'm the one in our marriage who is doing all the work with regards the whole migration process, ie; its my skills that are being assessed, so as you all know, its a bloody nightmare getting everything together! then of course, finding an agent, as our case is a little complicated, or might becme complicated. then there my ex husband who wont sign consent, so off i go to the solicitors, blah blah, now got to go to court for the first hearing.......my point is, that it just feels like i'm doing everything!!!!

My husband dosent and cant use a computer, i've told him loads that he's got to learn as he'll need to, to email his daughter when we get to oz. i also know that if he came on, he'd start doing a bit of research himself. meanwhile its me who's looking at work for me, him, TAFE's, districts etc!!!!and i just feel its me whio's doing everything! and i know what'll happen, we'll arrive in aus and it'll be 'well, i didnt know that,' and 'did you know!!'

When i have a go for not being involved, his reply is that he trusts me and is really grateful because i know what i'm doing! good job isnt it!!

so basiclly, do any of you have the same problem or are you sharing the responsibility with your partners?

sorry to moan, just down in the dumps abouit the court case etc and bloody chronic pain in my shoulder just need ed to get that off my shoulders!!

the forum seems quiet this morning, i hope some of you have good news today.

debbie x

Debbie no one has mentioned it on here, but I have thought about it. Bit of an ambigious topic, but your 100% right. I am in the same situation, my skills being assessed. I wrote the TRA, I done everything, Only consilation I am sending er indoors to get documents certified tomorrow,. although I made the appointment.

Slightly too.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I love coming on expats most of the time when i can and think i've met some truely nice people who i cant begin to thank for there help and support over the past year.

I'm the one in our marriage who is doing all the work with regards the whole migration process, ie; its my skills that are being assessed, so as you all know, its a bloody nightmare getting everything together! then of course, finding an agent, as our case is a little complicated, or might becme complicated. then there my ex husband who wont sign consent, so off i go to the solicitors, blah blah, now got to go to court for the first hearing.......my point is, that it just feels like i'm doing everything!!!!

My husband dosent and cant use a computer, i've told him loads that he's got to learn as he'll need to, to email his daughter when we get to oz. i also know that if he came on, he'd start doing a bit of research himself. meanwhile its me who's looking at work for me, him, TAFE's, districts etc!!!!and i just feel its me whio's doing everything! and i know what'll happen, we'll arrive in aus and it'll be 'well, i didnt know that,' and 'did you know!!'

When i have a go for not being involved, his reply is that he trusts me and is really grateful because i know what i'm doing! good job isnt it!!

so basiclly, do any of you have the same problem or are you sharing the responsibility with your partners?

sorry to moan, just down in the dumps abouit the court case etc and bloody chronic pain in my shoulder just need ed to get that off my shoulders!!

debbie x
Oh you poor thing, it is so stressful, luckily my hubby was very good, and we did everything together. My x would not sign for my daughter coming, although he never had contact with her. She waited til 18, then told him to bog off, changed her name by depol, and is now here and settled with us,
that was the worst time, her at the other end of the world.
hope it makes you feel better sharing this with us, althouth we cant do anything to help. take care, Denise
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done ALL the work on our application right down to ordering the materials he needs to pass his English exam and even entered him for it.

He was meant to study yesterday and I found him on the sofa watching 'Spiderman'.

I wouldnt mind but I have my own studies to do.

The way I look at it is, that it's his skills that are getting us in and my typing and donkey work that will carry us.

I suppose in its own way its a joint effort.

I think having one person do it, it ensures that everything is done. Too many cooks can spoil the broth and all that.

(sighs as I have to do my assignment on drugs for which I will need very soon)
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:45 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

eyup debs,
course its just us who do the work!!
well, they always say, if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!
I have to put mals tra together now....he wouldnt know where to start bless him!
My advice is to sit down with him, ask him if he trusts you to do whats best for everyone, and ask him if hes happy for you to sort it all out. When he says yes, its a lot easier both emotionally and logistically to sort it all out yourself!!! After months of faffing about with mal, i plonked him down and stuck the matchsticks under the nails......he was more than happy for me to "do everything".!!!!

now he goes out to work 18 hours a day, 7 days a week to get the money together while i do the rest.

you gotta let em know whos boss!!!

chin up,

Sue xx

debbie x
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:56 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

you're lucky nicky, in fact i'm jealous thats how it should be..joint effort. i'm going to make him read this thread tonight and kick some ass
Debs, I know I'm lucky, I've got a man in a million, I really have - he's an absolute sweetheart! He went out to the shops yesterday to pick up some stuff for lunch and came home with a bunch of flowers for me.

But he's not going to be too impressed when he gets home at 3pm - I'm still in my dressing gown and I haven't done a thing all day except sit at the computer. I'd better log off and look lively!

Nicky
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:10 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Debbie

In answer to your original question YES!!

I have done the whole of the TRA, research, phone calls etc etc - it goes on.
Also work part-time, run the house, look after child - well you girls all know how it is.

Mr Suzy walked in the other day and said "Are you still on that bloody computer".

After an unreapeatable answer I told him to F*** off and buy me some chocolates - so he did.

Love him to bits really

suzy x
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I was the one that needed the visa. I have been the one doing the research . I have spent many many hours on here in the interests of our future I have been the one to comfort first born each time she sobs her heart out (not hub's fault, she wants me).

I sorted out the selling of the house, organising bank accounts, cancelling all direct debits etc etc etc. He tried to get some time off from full time job for tomorrow and wednesday (shippers coming) Couldn't get Wednesday off (day they are loading the container) but could get tomorrow off (the day he will be in the way as they pack up).

Has gone to second full time job today (don't ask!) the one he would have had no problem getting time off from whilst I am here sorting stuff like a mad thing (yes I know I'm on here - shhhh!) I am phoning him every two minutes with a question - Why The ***** isn't he here today

I have organised all the travel etc.

He is busy earning the money and paying the bills and without the salaries we wouldn't be going anywhere.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Oct 17th 2005 at 1:30 am.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:35 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

debbie

in the immortal words of Paul Weller

"uh-huh, oh yeah"

yep, my darling husband is the one who has lived in Aus, almost got residency, has the "lesser" career, and really wants us to move out to Aus and build our dream home and raise our kids.

me, I'm keen to go along

but.... guess who is holding down the main career, will be the main 136 applicant, is doing all the paperwork, tracking the academic transcripts down, finding out how to get police records, and contacting friends in countries where we have lived to make payments?!

men
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I have done every single bit of paper-work, form-filling, booking of solicitors for stat-decs, arranging medicals etc, for my wife's spouse visa (I'm an ozzie passport holder). However - that's mainly due to the fact that she's the main bread-winner and has way too much on her plate at the moment without arseing about with forms and stuff. So ... I don't mind ... all we want to do is get there
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:50 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

debbie x
Debbie,

Ditto, ditto, ditto, that's all I can say! are you married to my husband as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.