Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

All happening sooooooo quickly

Wikiposts

All happening sooooooo quickly

Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

gubbin is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have any idea once the police checks are in how long for the PR Visa to be supplied! [/QUOTE]

We've also had to apply for an extension. Our agent has advised us that it takes another 2-3 months until you get the visa - but then again they also told us that it takes 12 - 18 months to get to this stage!! We're hoping to move out early New Year, earlier if hubby finds a job. :scared: :PARTY:
How about you?
Old Apr 13th 2003, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: All happening sooooooo quickly

Do it as soon as you can. I waited too long to tell mine. The longer you put it off the harder it gets. Also the harder it is for them. [/QUOTE]

Hi Bronx,
That's what I keep telling him. He's scared of their reaction (although he won't admit it), they help us out with child care while I work so they will be pretty gutted about not seeing the grandchildren grow up! But it will be harder to tell them the longer he leaves it and besides once it's out in the open then I'm sure he will feel like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders, it's hard for us to plan when there's this huge hurdle to overcome.
We're going on holiday with them in June so we have to tell them soon!!!!!
I told mine on Xmas day, a bit mean but I'd had a drink and it seemed like a good idea at the time, they were ok though!
Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:05 am
Just Joined

comerford_helen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gubbin
Do you have any idea once the police checks are in how long for the PR Visa to be supplied!
We've also had to apply for an extension. Our agent has advised us that it takes another 2-3 months until you get the visa - but then again they also told us that it takes 12 - 18 months to get to this stage!! We're hoping to move out early New Year, earlier if hubby finds a job. :scared: :PARTY:
How about you? [/QUOTE]
Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:08 am
Just Joined

comerford_helen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by comerford_helen
How about you?
[/QUOTE]

Hi, we are hoping to go out as soon as PR Visa comes through, still chasing police reports today (no joy)!

We put are house on the market on Friday, and had confirmed offer for it today, I cannot believe we've sold so quickly.

My husband is a Painter and Decorator, he works for himself, so will do the same in Melbourne.

Both sets of parents know we are going (but not happy) especially my parents as our children are there only grandchildren so its very hard on them, but we have to stay positive

Helen
Old Apr 14th 2003, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I held off telling my Mum for ages. She finally asked me as my 6 year old had told her that we were going to live in Australia.
After sobbing, wailing etc she admitted that she was glad to know sooner rather than later, so she can get used to the idea.

It will be a real shock if you tell them a couple of months before you go. It is also hard not to share such an exciting time with them.

Tell them when it feels right - but don't leave it too long!

You could always get one of the kids to let it loose for you?
Old Apr 14th 2003, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Helen,
I chased our police checks up yesterday and guess what....? They came this morning in the post! Yippeee. I'll get them posted off to our agent today so just have to wait for the final OK.

We are still undecided as to sell or rent, looking into both options. Good going selling your house so quick. Where do you live? Sometimes I think we should go for it and just sell then when I'm in a more cautious mood it convince myself that it would be a good idea to rent it out, just incase it didn't work out for us.

Good luck with the sale.

Gailx
Old Apr 14th 2003, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tell them when it feels right - but don't leave it too long!

You could always get one of the kids to let it loose for you?

hi Tina,

Tensions were running a little high in our house last night - I was nagging at Mark to tell them. I know I shouldn't pressure him but I just wish it was done then I could at least think ahead. We would like to move in with them before we go to save a bit of money but can't even sort that out without him telling them.

I'm not going to mention it to him anymore - the decision is down to him, I'm sure he'll know when the time is right.

Thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:45 am
Just Joined

pommejo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking ploice checks

Originally posted by Sindy
Thanks Poj,

As it happens thats exactly what we did when it reached 43 days, and low and behold, two days later they turned up!

Good luck with your application

Sindy

G'day Sindy (got to get used to saying that now!)

Glad you got your police checks, got mine and then it got lost in the SwiftAir post to OZ. Supposed to have been signed for, but no trace. Hoping to get duplicate soon as we have a pre-approval agreed, just need the police checks and form 1022 (no change in circs).

Where abouts are you hoping to live in OZ? r u going to rent at first? We hope to be near ny folks in Noosa, but v pricey.

regards.

Pommejo
17/4/03
Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:48 am
Just Joined

pommejo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Originally posted by gubbin
Hi Helen,
I chased our police checks up yesterday and guess what....? They came this morning in the post! Yippeee. I'll get them posted off to our agent today so just have to wait for the final OK.

We are still undecided as to sell or rent, looking into both options. Good going selling your house so quick. Where do you live? Sometimes I think we should go for it and just sell then when I'm in a more cautious mood it convince myself that it would be a good idea to rent it out, just incase it didn't work out for us.

Good luck with the sale.

Gailx
Hi there well done getting your police checks. Are you taking any furniture etc with you, or even a car?

regards

Pommejo
Old Apr 17th 2003, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ploice checks

Originally posted by pommejo

Glad you got your police checks, got mine and then it got lost in the SwiftAir post to OZ. Supposed to have been signed for, but no trace. Hoping to get duplicate soon as we have a pre-approval agreed, just need the police checks and form 1022 (no change in circs).

Where abouts are you hoping to live in OZ? r u going to rent at first? We hope to be near ny folks in Noosa, but v pricey.

regards.

Pommejo
17/4/03
G'Day Pommejo

Strewth Cobber, Holy dooley!, Fair suck of the sav! someone has really come a gutser! Bet your feeling a bit crook now.

We are hoping to be Crow eaters by the end of September, have rellies already living there.

Hope the rest of your day is bonzer

Hooroo

.............ok, as you can tell I have found an Australian slang web site! If you need to decifer any of the above or would like to know some more here is a link

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html#S

I hope your police checks get sorted out soon, you must be mad as a cut snake.......oops off again!

Best of luck

Sindy
Old Apr 17th 2003, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ploice checks

Originally posted by pommejo

Pommejo
17/4/03
Me again

By the way my husband wants to know why you have got to get use to saying "G'day Sindy"

Sindy