British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   All flights in the UK grounded until further notice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/all-flights-uk-grounded-until-further-notice-664111/)

Tony_P Apr 20th 2010 12:22 am

Re: All flights in the UK grounded until further notice

Hi Everyone, 1st post on here but been an active reader of the forums since my Son and his Wife emigrated to Perth a couple of years ago.
The latest news is of possible more delays due to more ash clouds heading for the UK.
Me and my better half are booked to fly with Emirates to Perth for a 3 week holiday on Wednesday 21st April and its looking very doubtful especially after speaking to Emirates today that they don't expect the flight to go.
We're well p....off with all this happening the week we're travelling BUT we have decided to cancel anyway. REASON.... not 1 person has said it's safe to fly. All the pressure is on the Met Office and Air traffic controllers from the Airlines to say it's safe as the financial implications start to bite. British Airways would fly yesterday if they could, their C/Exec Willie Walsh sees no probs as they did a test flight from Heathrow to Cardiff and all was ok so he said. On the news several airforce jets have sustained damage to the engines after flying through the ash clouds.
Well thats good enough for me to say i stay on "Terra Firma" for now.
I definately don't want to be a statistic to the major European Airlines to say well we thought it would be ok up there !!!
Maybe it will, maybe i'm wrong, I'm not taking the chance and i expect i won't be on my own.
Sorry to rant on and looks like a re-book to OZ for later in the year...:thumbup:

Tony

Kooky. Apr 23rd 2010 8:21 am

You think that's a rant? :lol: I've just put my update here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...97#post8515997

koalakim Apr 23rd 2010 9:58 am

Oh wow Seasider, what an amazing journey! I can't imagine having to do it anyway but also under the circumstances of rushing back for your Mum.

Just checking the latest on the volcano and it would seem the winds have changed and pushing the cloud back over Iceland and some if their airports are now shut!

Shellyj Apr 23rd 2010 3:22 pm

We managed to fly home on Wednesday after being stuck in Abu Dhabi for 4 days on our way home from Sydney visiting family and validating my visa.

We flew with Etihad (who's planes I hate) but their response and service to this was excellent. They flew to Abu Dhabi assuming it would be over when we got there and when it was not they put us up in a hotel which we would never have been able to afford. The hotel was packed to the brim with Etihad guests!
They fed and watered us and kept us updated with written statements several times a day.

They also prioritised me and hubby for a flight home because I am 27 weeks pregnant and have epilepsy. For which I had to find a doctor as I was running out of medication. The embassy were next to useless but the hotel and Etihad helped us loads. And we were on one of the first flights out there on Wednesday :o)

We're now recovering and wish we got to see more of Abu Dhabi, couldnt really do the tourist thing as we needed to in or near the hotel.
I feel really bad for those that were left in airports or had to make their own arrangements. Some of the other airlines should really have done more to help people, we were very lucky.

Alfresco Apr 23rd 2010 7:06 pm

Hola!

err...hello. :D