British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   All flights in the UK grounded until further notice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/all-flights-uk-grounded-until-further-notice-664111/)

billymacker Apr 19th 2010 6:31 am

Re: All flights in the UK grounded until further notice

Originally Posted by MrsE (Post 8504657)
Hi All

We are out here on our reccie (in the Gold Coast). Been out here 5 weeks and were due to fly home today but after finally getting through to Qantas today have been given a new flight date of 4th May!!!! Hmmm would like to get home to feed the cats (luckily have fab friends/neighbours) but can think of worse places to be stranded!:D

I think if the cats have not been feed for the last 5 weeks a few more weeks will do no harm:rofl:

Croweater Apr 19th 2010 8:58 am

Our parents were due to fly back to the UK tonight and there flight has been cancelled. The earliest flight thay've been given is May 6th !!! They're with Emirates.

Pollyana Apr 19th 2010 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Speargun (Post 8505879)
ha ha thats so good!! :rofl:

;) Big decision over which one to choose!

Wol Apr 19th 2010 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8506828)
;) Big decision over which one to choose!

One that's long enough for a chipmunk or three <g>.

freebo Apr 19th 2010 10:26 am

BBC now reporting volcano emmissions "deminished markedly" :fingerscrossed:

moocow Apr 19th 2010 11:31 am

no flights from heathrow for singapore airlines or qantas until at least tuesday afternoon. any one in europe the navy is coming to get you.

moneypenny20 Apr 19th 2010 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Croweater (Post 8506761)
Our parents were due to fly back to the UK tonight and there flight has been cancelled. The earliest flight thay've been given is May 6th !!! They're with Emirates.

I'd get them on a plane to somewhere and they can hang on there until they can get to the UK :lol:

RedT Apr 19th 2010 12:30 pm

My family is gutted at the moment, brother and family were due to fly from Sydney to London visa Seoul on Wednesday, now it looks like they might not be able to come at all. We're hoping they can fly next week instead but if they can't then they'll have to postpone until maybe September :( We were so looking forward to their visit, my dad nearly died late last year and to be honest I think this visit is what got him through his time in hospital. Fingers crossed they'll somehow make it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Tx

pomtastic Apr 19th 2010 12:41 pm

Don't know if this has already been posted but, ......

The last time it erupted it started in Dec 1821…..and went on till Jan 1823

Could you imagine that?!! 2 years of total disruption. Greece, Portugal and Spain rely on the tourist industry and all ready are in a world of financial pain.

Oh well, might become as irrelevent as the swine flu, time will tell.

moneypenny20 Apr 19th 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by pomtastic (Post 8507243)

Could you imagine that?!! 2 years of total disruption. Greece, Portugal and Spain rely on the tourist industry and all ready are in a world of financial pain.

Not sure too many flights or people's travel arrangements were disrupted then though :p

freebo Apr 19th 2010 2:32 pm

SKY News reporting British Airspace may reopen Tuesday http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...eland_Eruption

graham wade Apr 19th 2010 3:06 pm

QUOTE=freebo;8507493]SKY News reporting British Airspace may reopen Tuesday http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...eland_Eruption[/QUOTE]
Lets hope so :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

xzibit Apr 19th 2010 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by pomtastic (Post 8507243)

Dec 1821 to Jan 1823 is 13 months isn't it?? So a little over 1 year. Unless I'm being stupid?

Apparently the BBC have just been saying the volcano is now back to erupting. :thumbdown:

Janna and Nick Apr 19th 2010 9:19 pm

Latest update from NATS at 22:00 UK time is that the volcano is starting up again so any chance of opening up the aerospace is likely to be short lived! :eek:

emma75 Apr 19th 2010 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedT (Post 8507216)
My family is gutted at the moment, brother and family were due to fly from Sydney to London visa Seoul on Wednesday, now it looks like they might not be able to come at all. We're hoping they can fly next week instead but if they can't then they'll have to postpone until maybe September :( We were so looking forward to their visit, my dad nearly died late last year and to be honest I think this visit is what got him through his time in hospital. Fingers crossed they'll somehow make it :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Tx

I hope they get to come over, i know how you must be feeling. My Dad lives in Oz and i would be devastated if he had planned a trip back here and then it was cancelled/postponed, Especially when i only get to see him every 2-3 years. finger crossed for you. :fingerscrossed:
Emma