British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   All flights in the UK grounded until further notice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/all-flights-uk-grounded-until-further-notice-664111/)

renth Apr 18th 2010 6:55 am

Re: All flights in the UK grounded until further notice

I'm supposed to by flying back next Saturday. Hopefully it will be all over by then. Am expecting the plane to be packed though.

If it's still going on, I'll just keep enjoying this lovely spring weather till it's all sorted.

Pollyana Apr 18th 2010 7:26 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 8504330)
I'm supposed to by flying back next Saturday. Hopefully it will be all over by then. Am expecting the plane to be packed though.

If it's still going on, I'll just keep enjoying this lovely spring weather till it's all sorted.

Gorgeous here at present isn't it? Stranded in London in the April sunshne, what a hardship!!

Pollyana Apr 18th 2010 7:27 am

Originally Posted by koalakim (Post 8503965)
Very true Polly!

I just hope employers are understanding about all this and no one looses their jobs!

Very ironic that I can't get back to a job in disaster managemet due to a disaster! :lol:

Al and Jacque Apr 18th 2010 8:31 am

Hi everybody, we're supposed to be moving to Melbourne on Friday, moving out of our rental on Thursday, and all our white goods and tv have been sold and are being collected on Wednesday night. Our car is also sold and being collected on Thursday morning, now we don't know when we'lll be able to fly, so nowhere to stay no car etc aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh starting to panice me thinks.

Al and Jacque

Wol Apr 18th 2010 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8500276)
I think you might be on to something but incidents like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9
have made the authorities ultra-cautious.

Eric Moody flew through the plume at night (couldn't see it and it was not forecast). That's entirely different from a "dust cloud" a thousand miles away from the volcano - aircraft are flying through those on a daily basis without any effect.

The problem now is that, having declared that *any* dust is dangerous, someone somewhere will have to make the decision that it is not.

Having said that:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-volcanic.html

it doesn't say where in the dust the aircraft flew though.

Kapri Apr 18th 2010 9:17 am

Dutch and German airlines are beginning to test out flights and check planes for damage. Preliminary reports are positive :thumbup:

Link

graham wade Apr 18th 2010 9:42 am

Originally Posted by comet10 (Post 8503529)
Im meant to be flying out with Singapore airlines tomorrow from Heathrow and have a gut feeling i will not be on the plane!! :(

My husband has already been out in Queensland for past 2 weeks and i was meant to be joining him to start our new life together!!
Everything is now on hold and very ( understatement!!) frustrating. Cant even plan when im going to get out there!! :confused:

Anyone else in the same position??!!!

Was due to fly out Monday to Singapore then to Brisbane now going a week later we hope.

Pollyana Apr 18th 2010 9:56 am

For anyone with visa issues.
http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/n...isruptions.htm

MrsE Apr 18th 2010 10:44 am

Hi All

We are out here on our reccie (in the Gold Coast). Been out here 5 weeks and were due to fly home today but after finally getting through to Qantas today have been given a new flight date of 4th May!!!! Hmmm would like to get home to feed the cats (luckily have fab friends/neighbours) but can think of worse places to be stranded!:D

comet10 Apr 18th 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by graham wade (Post 8504546)
Was due to fly out Monday to Singapore then to Brisbane now going a week later we hope.

Ive rebooked for 22nd April, not getting my hopes up too high, but got everything crossed!!! :fingerscrossed::unsure:

graham wade Apr 18th 2010 9:43 pm

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Originally Posted by comet10 (Post 8505683)
Ive rebooked for 22nd April, not getting my hopes up too high, but got everything crossed!!! :fingerscrossed::unsure:

Just seen the news there might be some positive news tomorrow

Speargun Apr 18th 2010 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by graham wade (Post 8505727)
:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
Just seen the news there might be some positive news tomorrow

OMG that would be so good I was supposed to fly home to Brisbane last Thursday, had rebooked for Monday cancelled again and now hopefully for Thursday! Just keeps looking more and more unlikely. No idea of whether Ive even got a job to go back to as employer hasnt responded to any emails/calls :unsure:

There is just no way of getting back..even looked at Oz Bus takes 92 days! :eek:

Speargun Apr 18th 2010 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8504366)
Gorgeous here at present isn't it? Stranded in London in the April sunshne, what a hardship!!

Can I hitch a ride back with you on the old broomstick?!

Pollyana Apr 18th 2010 11:05 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Speargun (Post 8505822)
Can I hitch a ride back with you on the old broomstick?!

Well l did go looking for a new one this week...

Speargun Apr 18th 2010 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8505865)
Well l did go looking for a new one this week...

ha ha thats so good!! :rofl: