Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To all District Nurses in Oz

To all District Nurses in Oz

Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

julesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To all District Nurses in Oz

Is the job much the same as in England? What are the wages like? Do they match/exceed our Agenda for Change banding?

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To all District Nurses in Oz

Hi

try the nursing forum on this site -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...sprune=-1&f=72

there may be more nurses doing community work there that can give an up to date answer.

I looked into community nursing here as well as practice nursing as that is what I was doing before coming here. I found the pay system - ''awards'' as they are known here - to be seriously lacking compared to hospital nursing. I can't comment on the public system community nursing pay scales as I haven't worked for them - Blue Care I think it is in QLD. I hope they pay a fair deal. I didn't find the job to be on par with what UK district nurses do. I won't say much more as I'm not working in the community at present and I have been criticized on here for being too negative about the roles and pay discrepancies between hospital and community/aged care/GP services. I know a few nurses I'm working with at a hospital who have worked in community before, so rather than me ramble on here, check out the nursing forum and/or PM me for a more detailed discussion.
Cheers
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To all District Nurses in Oz

I think you will probably find that you would have far less autonomy than you have in the UK.
It will be interesting to see what changes happen now that health is federally run. There certainly seems to be a lot more community care being developed & if you work for QLD health, the pay is the same between community & hospital.
Where in Aus are you heading because there are big variations between states currently?