Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it all that bad??

Is it all that bad??

Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is it all that bad??

There is a Timewatch TV documentary called "The 10 Pound Poms" about the hundreds of thousands of people that went out to Australia in the 1960's, it shows how diasppointed many were and after their 1 year minimum stay several hundred thousand returned to the UK. However, over half of those that returned to the UK found that it was not as great as they remembered and they went back to Australia again.

I would suggest that you make a list of all of your reasons for emigrating and add all the things that you don't like about living in the UK. When you get homesick (and you will) get the list out and read it again.

That's what I'll be doing
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:11 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobertC
There is a Timewatch TV documentary called "The 10 Pound Poms" about the hundreds of thousands of people that went out to Australia in the 1960's, it shows how diasppointed many were and after their 1 year minimum stay several hundred thousand returned to the UK. However, over half of those that returned to the UK found that it was not as great as they remembered and they went back to Australia again.

I would suggest that you make a list of all of your reasons for emigrating and add all the things that you don't like about living in the UK. When you get homesick (and you will) get the list out and read it again.

That's what I'll be doing
I think if you can meet people soon after arrival and get things arranged like a home either rental or buy one and cars etc.

I'm not going to help you i'm afraid as i'm horrendously homesick right now, been upset most days for the best part of the last week since we arrived, feel awful with it, our arrangements aren't going well re: house and cars, our hosts have been fantastic and that should make it easier for us but I don't feel that it is (how ungrateful ).
I am very close to my dad and would see him several times a week and I miss him very badly.
I know people say kids make it easier to meet people but that hasn't been the case for us, so far they're just made it harder to sort all the arrangments we need to make.
Until we get a rental we can't put the older two in school, they're bored and playing me up big time, little one cut his head open yesterday and has done nothing but whinge and play up, hubby is working rest of the week and i'm dreading it, at least he'll be away from the kids and me for a few hours a day, poor man.
Trying to arrange to meet people is a bit of a nightmare, though it would probably help it I just can't seem to arrange anything with anyone, we don't know anyone here and I feel completely isolated and lonely.

Mind you feeling as homesick as I do I can't really blame people for not wanting to meet up with me, right now I just really want to go home.
I'd never been to Sydney before.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Atleast you have each other! Some of us come totally alone! Aklthough in some ways that makes meeting people easier.......
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice
Smile Re: Is it all that bad??

Hi
We moved to brisabe nearly 7 months ago and homesickness comes in bouts, when it comes its bad but when its not here you forget. So far we havent regretted coming to australia and we were really close to our family back home. Take it one day at a time and be prepared for homesickness, it will happen but you do get through it, take it from someone who knows. Good luck.
shelley xx