Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Alexandra Hills?

Alexandra Hills?

Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:25 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alexandra Hills?

Ooops spelling again....Banyo!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi we rented at Alex Hills for the first 6 months and it was good! as people said previous, Alex Hills is definately not rough compared to the UK standard. All the places in the Redlands are so close together that they sort of mingle into one another, you are only talking less than a five minute drive into Cleveland from Alexandra Hills, also five minute drive to Wellington Point so you are very close to all the ammenities and the coast line so wouldnt take you long to drive around and have a look for yourself.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:32 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stitch
Ooops spelling again....Banyo!
Been on the old vino again girl?

We live in Wello Point which borders on Alex Hills & I agree with some of the other comments, its more the area is longer established & some of the properties need renovating rather then being a rough area but there is new places being built out that way too. Also like other people have stated it near to all amenities & close enough to commute to the City.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:58 am
ABCDiamond

Alex Hills is going to the dogs.

I went through today, and saw a speed limit sign with graffiti on it !!!

If I had my camera with me I would have taken a photo.....

Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Alex Hills is going to the dogs.

I went through today, and saw a speed limit sign with graffiti on it !!!

If I had my camera with me I would have taken a photo.....
Oh no
Old Aug 13th 2009, 8:49 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Like people have said redlands is 20 mins across. I'd rent, and then look for a house in any surburb. Before we got here we were going to live in birkdale, ended up renting in wellington point and buying in thornlands. In true Aussie style every surburb is full of different house styles, and road ages. 700m one road, and the next have 2000m blocks etc.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:20 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
Like people have said redlands is 20 mins across. I'd rent, and then look for a house in any surburb. Before we got here we were going to live in birkdale, ended up renting in wellington point and buying in thornlands. In true Aussie style every surburb is full of different house styles, and road ages. 700m one road, and the next have 2000m blocks etc.
Alex hills is the same, some old some new houses. some huuge blocks some not so huge, one thing is rare a 450 block or smaller which is what you get in new areas. cram as many houses into a small area as possible.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Rough theres no one around to make it rough we are renting in Alex Hills never had any trouble where we are, but to be honest want to leave the area as its too queit , maybe with comming from Manchester im used to noise, dissruption, drunks, kids causing meyhem but here you dont see a soul after 4pm, Definatley would not say Alex hills is rough even the areas we drive round to in Alex hills theres never a soul in sight, if I didnt have kids I would definatley buy in this area, but we need to move where theres life and maybe mayhem
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:07 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
Rough theres no one around to make it rough we are renting in Alex Hills never had any trouble where we are, but to be honest want to leave the area as its too queit , maybe with comming from Manchester im used to noise, dissruption, drunks, kids causing meyhem but here you dont see a soul after 4pm, Definatley would not say Alex hills is rough even the areas we drive round to in Alex hills theres never a soul in sight, if I didnt have kids I would definatley buy in this area, but we need to move where theres life and maybe mayhem
We're quite lucky in that there's some kids around us where we stay so they can play out together.

Ginny
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mad city fan
Says a lot for the general Bayside area, when the locals class Alex Hills as the 'roughest' part

It does come down to perspectives. ie: I think I heard a police car siren, in my area, a while ago, maybe July ? OK, I am exaggerating, it could have been August

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:38 am
Just Joined

crystaldi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Says a lot for the general Bayside area, when the locals class Alex Hills as the 'roughest' part

It does come down to perspectives. ie: I think I heard a police car siren, in my area, a while ago, maybe July ? OK, I am exaggerating, it could have been August
My Partner has lived in the bayside for the past 13 years and has seen a lot of changes. He had a house at Redland bay and we are now building there again. (I have been out here 2 1/2 yrs) We rented at Wellington Point and Cleveland. My Australian friend bought a house at Alex Hills when she came to the area and got a rough street, they have trouble with drugs and neigbours all the time. The Estate Agent never told them! We thought about moving but it does have a not as good reputation. I would suggest looking on http://www.domain.com.au or http://www.realestate.com.au

Put in 4160 Wellington point postcode or 4163 (Cleveland postcode) and search surrounding areas. also search 4165 (Redland Bay)

Birkdale is reputed to have the highest percentage of British - hence the new brittish chip shop, brittish indian and british convenice store! However Redland bay is also getting a large amount of british and the local primary school has a very high pc of uk kids.

If you have not been out here, I would come out and rent for 6 mths first to get a feel of all the areas as they are all nice just different outlooks. I dont dislike Alex Hills, and as people before have mentioned its not rough coming from UK - was my argument with my partner when we were looking for places to buy, but as he said its well known as a rough area for the ozzies why would you spend so much on a house to find you have the local crack house next door - as my friend did! Depending on how much you are spending and what you want from a house you can get a decent 4 bed 2 bath in most bayside areas at the $500 mark. - no offence intended to ppl that live there I know nice parts of it too - but the estate agents dont tell you the difference - They have a VERY different way of selling houses here!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:18 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystaldi
My Partner has lived in the bayside for the past 13 years and has seen a lot of changes. He had a house at Redland bay and we are now building there again. (I have been out here 2 1/2 yrs) We rented at Wellington Point and Cleveland. My Australian friend bought a house at Alex Hills when she came to the area and got a rough street, they have trouble with drugs and neigbours all the time. The Estate Agent never told them! We thought about moving but it does have a not as good reputation. I would suggest looking on http://www.domain.com.au or http://www.realestate.com.au

Put in 4160 Wellington point postcode or 4163 (Cleveland postcode) and search surrounding areas. also search 4165 (Redland Bay)

Birkdale is reputed to have the highest percentage of British - hence the new brittish chip shop, brittish indian and british convenice store! However Redland bay is also getting a large amount of british and the local primary school has a very high pc of uk kids.

If you have not been out here, I would come out and rent for 6 mths first to get a feel of all the areas as they are all nice just different outlooks. I dont dislike Alex Hills, and as people before have mentioned its not rough coming from UK - was my argument with my partner when we were looking for places to buy, but as he said its well known as a rough area for the ozzies why would you spend so much on a house to find you have the local crack house next door - as my friend did! Depending on how much you are spending and what you want from a house you can get a decent 4 bed 2 bath in most bayside areas at the $500 mark. - no offence intended to ppl that live there I know nice parts of it too - but the estate agents dont tell you the difference - They have a VERY different way of selling houses here!
Agreed but you can have a crack house anywhere, depends where they are renting. Rentals are available in nearly every street. Unless your minted, then your going to be roughing it with the large proportion of general public.

I have lived on the Alex Hills, Birkdale border for almost two years and love it, so quiet and peacefull, I haven't had any drama's, TBH I had more trouble in Wynnum when I lived there. However each to their own inlcuding those living around you make all the difference to your own experience of a neighbourhood.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:46 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Brisben
Agreed but you can have a crack house anywhere, depends where they are renting. Rentals are available in nearly every street. Unless your minted, then your going to be roughing it with the large proportion of general public.

I have lived on the Alex Hills, Birkdale border for almost two years and love it, so quiet and peacefull, I haven't had any drama's, TBH I had more trouble in Wynnum when I lived there. However each to their own inlcuding those living around you make all the difference to your own experience of a neighbourhood.

I'd agree with Ben, we lived in Manly and got more trouble there, despite large houses and supposidly affluent areas then we have had in the time we've been in Alex Hills. I would also agree though that it's an idea to come and view for yourself rent for a while and see what suits you and your family.

Ginny
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
I'd agree with Ben, we lived in Manly and got more trouble there, despite large houses and supposidly affluent areas then we have had in the time we've been in Alex Hills. I would also agree though that it's an idea to come and view for yourself rent for a while and see what suits you and your family.

Ginny
There are some lovely areas in both Alex Hills and Capalaba. They always get bagged by people, but as with many suburbs there are small pockets where it's not so great, with the majority being lovely.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by crystaldi
Birkdale is reputed to have the highest percentage of British - hence the new brittish chip shop, brittish indian and british convenice store!
Its all those that travel from Cleveland....

UK born residents in the area:
  • 5.8% Alexandra Hills
  • 6.6% Birkdale
  • 8.1% Victoria Point
  • 11.1% Cleveland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.