Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Alexandra Hills?

Alexandra Hills?

Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alexandra Hills?

Been looking at housing in this part seems quite reasonable, saying that have read a few threads thats its a bit "rough"?

Could do with a few ideas of decent/reasonable areas. Looking to come over in about 3 weeks time (fingers x).

Cant decide on Bayside or Pacific Pines/Helensvale.

Any input greatly received

p.s. Have friends in Thornlands and Helensvale so wont be Billy no Mates!!!

Any idea or travelling from Pacific to Brisbane etc and stuff.

Thanks

Kath
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Alexandra Hills?

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Been looking at housing in this part seems quite reasonable, saying that have read a few threads thats its a bit "rough"?

Could do with a few ideas of decent/reasonable areas. Looking to come over in about 3 weeks time (fingers x).

Cant decide on Bayside or Pacific Pines/Helensvale.

Any input greatly received

p.s. Have friends in Thornlands and Helensvale so wont be Billy no Mates!!!

Any idea or travelling from Pacific to Brisbane etc and stuff.

Thanks

Kath
It is considered the 'roughest' area out of the local bayside, by the locals.
How rough it actually is will depend on what you are comparing against.

We live very close, and, in my own comparison, it isn't really rough, just a cheaper area as it is considered inland by the older locals.

Thornlands and Alex Hills actually border each other, so your friends would know exactly what it is like. My suburb borders on to Thornlands.

Alex Hills houses the local TAFE, and is basically a cheaper residential suburb between the suburbs on the waters edge and Capalaba.

Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:38 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the border of Alex Hills and Birkdale, just off Bailey road.

I have lived here over a year and whilst I took on board local opinion i Have found its nothing like.

In fact I found wynnum to be rougher...

It is very quite were I liv with good parks, good transport except train

Big shopping close by - capalaba,

Nice places to eat and visit - wellington point-cleveland etc etc.

I actually love living here and if your a pom rough it aint..

Each to their own, but I would prefer to live in Alex by the bay than somewhere no where near the bay.

I looked at buying in Manly - Manly west, Wynnum west , Lota etc, but you just don't get the bang for your buck.

I looked at houses for half a mil in manly west and they needed full renovation.

I spent the same in Alex hills and have 5 beds, swimming pool on a fully fenced 800 block...Won't find that in the other supurbs for that money, hence why it is rougher is why it is slightly cheaper.

Now that is better value for money...

Each to their own, some will slate it, some won't , personally I like living here.

Last edited by Brisben; Aug 10th 2009 at 9:41 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brisben
Each to their own, but I would prefer to live in Alex by the bay than somewhere no where near the bay.
I agree

Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:10 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We live in Capalaba which is next to Alex Hills. I consider both to pretty good area although Alex Hills is probably a bit prettier. I don't consider them rough at all. We picked this area because you could get a lot more house for your money and it's still very close to the water. Plus, being slightly more inland my husband doesn't have to commute quite as far.

Personally I think Alex Hills is a nice area and I wouldn't hesitate to live there. Once you get here you can see for yourself.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:20 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I live here! I suppose some may say I'm rough but I'm really nice honest. We found we got the compromise we wanted so that we could buy our own place and still be by the bay. We got the house with the pool (albeit the house needs a bit of TLC) but nothing we can't handle. It's in a handly location for shops and transport and 5 minutes from where we used to be in Welly Point but at a fraction of the cost. It has been earmarked as the next up and coming and has had one of the highest rises in the bayside/redlands area (I think Thornlands was higher). Good local public and private schools all around as well.

I like it and we are still close enough to all bay activites without the hideous prices.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Stitch
We got the house with the pool (albeit the house needs a bit of TLC) but nothing we can't handle.
That's the definition of "rough" around here

Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you guys cos Ive been quite impressed with the house prices there, so might find us as your new neighbours

I shall carry on my research then

Kath

ps it was only cos when I did a search on here a couple of pple reckon lots of fights and someone stabbed or summin, so didnt mean to offend!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

ps it was only cos when I did a search on here a couple of pple reckon lots of fights and someone stabbed or summin, so didnt mean to offend!
These things do happen, and when they do it, it is in all the newspapers.

The 2009 incident.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...07/2563687.htm

The 2006 incident.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...0-3102,00.html

Unfortunately teenagers are the same all over.
There have been calls to have that nightclub closed down, it isn't the best place to be at 1am.

Have a read of this article: http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/ne...a/1538275.aspx
District Police Inspector Peter Harding said while crime in the Redlands was not as high as other areas around the state, young offenders were responsible for a higher percentage of it than almost anywhere else.

Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeh thanks for that you always have very useful info

Trouble everywhere you go I suppose, a bloke shot himself in the park by us the other week and I'd only just come back from walking the dogs Our pub round the corner gets raided every flippin week, drug dogs an all!! So as long as the kids are ok, you get trouble everywhere dont you, Perth was the same my daughter reckons Jopondalup has got bad over the last year, shame really as me and my girlfriend used to enjoy a friday night out there!!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kath

There are some really nice parts of Alex hills and then there are the not so nice bit. Most of it is lovely with decent housing at good prices.

We are next door in Thornlands and love the area. We have found it safe and friendly.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:11 pm
kjj
Forum Regular

kjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to allkjj is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
These things do happen, and when they do it, it is in all the newspapers.

The 2009 incident.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...07/2563687.htm

The 2006 incident.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...0-3102,00.html

Unfortunately teenagers are the same all over.
There have been calls to have that nightclub closed down, it isn't the best place to be at 1am.

Have a read of this article: http://www.baysidebulletin.com.au/ne...a/1538275.aspx
Hi, I have read the 2009 news link. What is a 'Banyo' teenager? Is Banyo a place?
Thanks
KJJ
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:00 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjj
Hi, I have read the 2009 news link. What is a 'Banyo' teenager? Is Banyo a place?
Thanks
KJJ
Hi Yeh Banyon is a Northside Burb.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:02 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Yeh thanks for that you always have very useful info

Trouble everywhere you go I suppose, a bloke shot himself in the park by us the other week and I'd only just come back from walking the dogs Our pub round the corner gets raided every flippin week, drug dogs an all!! So as long as the kids are ok, you get trouble everywhere dont you, Perth was the same my daughter reckons Jopondalup has got bad over the last year, shame really as me and my girlfriend used to enjoy a friday night out there!!
Definately worth while looking at as are some of the other burbs around the area. Land is still relatively cheap in Redland Bay but for us it was too way out. We run one car and this place gives us the convenience of regular public transport.

Good luck searching x
Old Aug 11th 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

That's the great thing about this area - there are great transport links both locally and into Brissy. You can use the train to go into the city, but it's even quicker by bus!!

Love

Rudi
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.