British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Aldinga/Aldinga Beach (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aldinga-aldinga-beach-672275/)

rasen78 Jun 13th 2010 6:11 pm

Aldinga/Aldinga Beach

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone lived in/near the area. Looking on the net, info from friends etc it looks like a nice area in terms of afforability, schooling, location to CBD and the beach, community etc, but just wanted to hear from those on the ground so to speak. We won't be moving for at least 2 years (if we are successful), and obviously things change, but I have seen on the realestate.com it gets 90/100. Is it really that good?;)

Many thanks :thumbsup:
Rasen78

mr mover Jun 13th 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Aldinga/Aldinga Beach

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 8630384)
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone lived in/near the area. Looking on the net, info from friends etc it looks like a nice area in terms of afforability, schooling, location to CBD and the beach, community etc, but just wanted to hear from those on the ground so to speak. We won't be moving for at least 2 years (if we are successful), and obviously things change, but I have seen on the realestate.com it gets 90/100. Is it really that good?;)

Rasen78

Hi rasen , just my two bobs worth I live as far north of Adelaide, as Aldinga is south, i can commute to my work depot in 35 mins, you would need to find work in the area other wise you are looking at 45-1hr commute as most of the work is in the cbd or north of Adelaide.
As for Aldinga beach , in the summer months it is a beautiful spot, housing is very affordable, and there are good schools , but it is a tad to cold for me in the winter months, especialy when you get a Sou- westa off the gulf....;)mm

Dorothy Jun 13th 2010 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by rasen78 (Post 8630384)
Hi all

Rasen78

It's an awful long way to the city from Aldinga. Especially if you're thinking of taking public transit. Otherwise it's lovely. We spent our first few weeks in Australia there and it was just beautiful.

Hills Boy Jun 13th 2010 10:39 pm

It's a fair hike to the city, but this is only an issue if you expect to work in the CBD or anywhere north of the CBD. You have one of the largest malls in the Adelaide area on your doorstep (ish) - the Colonnades in Noarlunga - so no huge need to head to the city for the 'big shops'. This is also where the train to the city ends, but there are plans to extend the line down to Seaford (which is closer to Aldinga). So if you do expect to work in the city you may only have to commute up to the train station.

alipally Jun 14th 2010 4:43 am

I live down that way, and tbh, getting to the city during rush hour, looks like it's doable on a map. Being here is something very different!
If you have to work in the city then don't go any further south than Hallett Cove, because it can take up to 1 1/2 hours to get home at night in rush hour traffic to get to Aldinga, lovely as it is! However, if you're a tradie and leaving early and coming back early then go for it!

ballr73 Jun 14th 2010 7:17 am

We did a reccie around Adelaide a couple of years ago and explored the Aldinga area. I would agree with the comments about distance. Aldinga is a lovely place and affordable, but the commute time to the CBD ruled it out for us.

katsmajic Jun 14th 2010 12:20 pm

We're building in Aldinga, should be moving in by xmas i hope :fingerscrossed:

Hub has a 45 min commute for work (western burbs) - i only go into the office once a week so doesnt apply to me - and they pay my travel time/fuel so dont mind the drive.
If youre not working in the cbd/travel for work like a tradie etc then Aldinga is a stunning place to live.
And yes it is colder there in the winter...2degrees tonight.

rasen78 Jul 18th 2010 4:25 pm

Sorry for the late reply - still getting to grips with this forum :embarrassed_smile:

Ooh, keep us up to date with the progress:thumbsup:

Will watch with interest:)