Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aldi mobile v Telstra

Aldi mobile v Telstra

Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aldi mobile v Telstra

Has anyone tried putting an Aldi sim in a telstra prepaid wireless device?

https://www.telstra.com.au/online-sh...repaid-wifi-4g

We have one with Telstra but the recharge rates are VERY high so just wondering if it was worth a try.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aldi mobile v Telstra

Originally Posted by shycouple2009
Has anyone tried putting an Aldi sim in a telstra prepaid wireless device?

https://www.telstra.com.au/online-sh...repaid-wifi-4g

We have one with Telstra but the recharge rates are VERY high so just wondering if it was worth a try.
Not tried it with Aldi but did try with a vodafone sim once and it didn't work, so I doubt Aldi will either.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not tried it with Aldi but did try with a vodafone sim once and it didn't work, so I doubt Aldi will either.
I have done a bit of research a few have tried it and it worked as Aldi piggyback Telstra network.

Last edited by shycouple2009; Sep 19th 2013 at 7:18 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shycouple2009
I have done a bit of research a few have tried it and it worked as Aldi piggyback Telstra network.
If it doesn't work you can probably unlock it by buying an unlock code for about $3 on Ebay...worked for me with a Vodafone pocket wifi.

However I don't think you'll be getting 4G using the Aldi mobile SIM...you'll have to make do with 3G.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Are you on a contract with Telstra? If not then if you have an owned smartphone you can set that as a Wifi hotspot and go Aldi, get 5gb a month. Mate does that and his speed is almost as good as my ADSL for general browsing etc.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:22 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
However I don't think you'll be getting 4G using the Aldi mobile SIM...you'll have to make do with 3G.
That was the same with Kogan. Telstra ain't going to give up their 4G advantage at the moment - and I don't blame them
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

I used a Aldi sim in a Telstra mifi, worked fine.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Aldimobile but also have my home ADSL so when I'm home the phone just works off my normal WiFi. However we all just got a "terms of service agreement" from Aldi - seems that some people have been "over using" the system and terms of service are now something like:

You will be in the shyte with us if you:

i) make more than 2,500 minutes of voice calls;
ii) send more than 2,000 SMS;
iii) send more than 500 MMS;
iiii) download or upload more than 400MB of data on your 5GB data bolt
on on a single day on
three or more occasions

Also you are not allowed to run a call center off the phone (bugger there goes my big idea ) and significantly they state that their package is not meant to replace your current Home Internet.

Interesting. Doesn't apply to me but be careful if you want to raid pirate bay etc.

I'd say a lot of people have cottoned on to the good deal and Aldi are maybe covering their butts in case they steal too much from
Telstra and get throttled themselves.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:22 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That was the same with Kogan. Telstra ain't going to give up their 4G advantage at the moment - and I don't blame them
These guys have 4G as an Optus MVNO...otherwise I think it's still pretty unusual.

http://www.vaya.net.au/mock/?option=Data
Old Sep 19th 2013, 11:43 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Boost is really a telstra brand if you want another option
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

I had a boost phone and it was Optus, unless they have switched carrier.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
I had a boost phone and it was Optus, unless they have switched carrier.
...according to their website: